Multi Water Level Expansion Not Working

Expansion modules and attachments
tanked_kiwi

Multi Water Level Expansion Not Working

Post by tanked_kiwi »

Ok, so for the past 4+ weeks I've had the multi water level module running on my tank. I only have 2 channels hooked up atm, 1 in the sump and 1 in the overflow, running the "Robertoflow" code. The ATO is still running off the float switch and the water level has been reporting 70% consistently ever since set up. Likewise, the Robertoflow code has been flawless running the overflow at 50% since set up.

All of a sudden, after running flawlessly for the past month, the water level module seems to disappear, intermittently. it'll just read 0 on both channels. If I reboot it, it'll come back online, although sometimes I have to recalibrate the overflow sensor. Sometimes it comes back on its own.

I havent changed anything at all for at least 3 weeks. I've changed all cables between the controller and the water level sensor. Stuffed if I know what it is.

Frustrated.
Sacohen

Re: Multi Water Level Expansion Not Working

Post by Sacohen »

What do you have connected besides the Multi WL?
Do you have a expansion hub?

It sounds strange, but anything can be causing what you are describing.

Try unplugging everything and having just the Multi WL connected directly to the relay. If it stays stable then add your other devices 1 at a time until it starts happening again.

It's a long arduous process, but you will eventually figure out what is going on.

I had a similar issue but my RA unit would randomly reboot and I worked on it for months with Roberto and finally determined it was a bad expansion hub after replacing almost everything in the system.
tanked_kiwi

Post by tanked_kiwi »

I do have an expansion hub, I only have the multi WL and my dimming expansion for the led light. Ive never had a single problem with the light. The multi WL and expansion hub were added at the same time.

It's happened twice tonight since I've been home from work. Both times it only went down for a few minutes. I checked the water levels when I heard the overflow gurgling and it showed 69% for the sump (normal level) and 54% for the overflow (definitely incorrect, water level was alot lower). About 2 mins later the overflow reading showed 35% (about right) and the pump speed increased to bring the level back up to 50%. And then it continues to function normally, until next time.

So it seems tonight, the multi WL hasn't disappeared completely. Its just "malfunctioned" twice, briefly.

I really want to avoid running just the multi WL by itself, that would mean turning off the lights to do so.
tanked_kiwi

Post by tanked_kiwi »

Right, the last 2 mornings I have been plugging the Multi WL straight into the relay box for the half day before my lights come on. It still blanked on me yesterday, but this morning things are getting worse.

First thing this morning, heard gurgling, WL blanked out again (running through expansion relay). Plugged the WL straight into the relay box and rebooted the controller (using the cable I've always used). About an hour and a half later, checked on the tank, WL blanked again but this time the controller was showing bus lock. Replaced the cable for a brand new (as in went out and bought, never used, very high quality) and rebooted. Within an hour while I was sitting here working away on my laptop the whole tank goes dead. The head unit was still on and showing temp and ph, red led blinking. Fire up the android app and the controller reboots. 5 mins later and bus lock again.

I'm going to pull the WL and set the DC pump speed manually through the app and run everything else as usual. I'll see how it goes for a week. I assume at this point its the WL causing issues. I've only had this expansion for a month and I had to send it back as soon as I got it because it was faulty. Guess I'll have to send it back YET AGAIN.
tanked_kiwi

Post by tanked_kiwi »

Update

I left all this running as it was since my last post and a few days later it sorted itself out. It had since been running flawlessly without a single hiccup until the weekend. I did a water change on Saturday and the problem has returned. Its strange and has me quite stumped. Not sure what to do but needless to say, I'm getting sick and tired of dealing with this 'issue'

Any ideas?
rimai

Post by rimai »

That's very strange that this just works for several weeks and then all of a sudden it doesn't anymore.
Did you happen to move any cables around when doing the water change?
Roberto.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

Yes. I've noticed that sometimes the USB cable may slip out of the expansion hub a bit.
It looks like it's in, but it's actually a bit loose, so double check the connections.
tanked_kiwi

Post by tanked_kiwi »

Yes I think I did bump some cables. This is what I think has caused it but I have re plugged all the cables several times since, rebooted, turn all power on and off, everything I can think of.
tanked_kiwi

Post by tanked_kiwi »

Looks like I'll have to send the multi WL back again. I've been running everything with just that disconnected since it started playing up the other day. Everything is fine with it disconnected.

Whenever I plug the multi WL it goes straight into bus lock. As soon as I unplug it it stops. Rinse and repeat with 3 different cables. Definitely appears to be the multi WL. Rebooting doesn't help. This is with the usb cable going straight from the relay box to the multi WL.