Bluetooth adapter - struggling to upload code

Expansion modules and attachments
Marine007

Bluetooth adapter - struggling to upload code

Post by Marine007 »

My Bluetooth and wifi module are finally working at the same time.
Getting a connection to the Reef Angel blue tooth adapter when uploading code. Light goes blue and red light blinks on Reef Angel controller and all goes well and then it starts mentioning : "timeout communicating with programmer" "failed miserably to execute command 0xid".

Been "uploading" for more than an hour. Light still blue and still attempting to upload.

PS. I did replace the serial file as instructed.
I used the "upload" command and not "upload via programmer".

Help please!
cosmith71

Re: Bluetooth adapter - struggling to upload code

Post by cosmith71 »

There are a couple of things you can try.

The BT module will create two new serial ports. Only one works for uploading. Make sure you're using the correct one. On Windows 8/10, go to "devices and printers" in the control panel. Right click on the RN42 device and select "Properties". Then click on the "Hardware" tab. The correct serial port should be listed as "Standard Serial over Bluetooth Link (COM#)".

The other thing is to make sure you're in signal range. Having a poor connection can cause lots of weird uploading problems. Try to move the computer closer and see if that helps (if possible). I had to get a USB extension cable to move my computer's BT adapter closer to the aquarium.

HTH,

--Colin
Marine007

Re: Bluetooth adapter - struggling to upload code

Post by Marine007 »

Thank you. I'm using a laptop and sit almost on top of the adapter. So signal should not be a problem.
It starts updating at great speed - code scrolling before my eyes - it seems then the Reef Angel resets and then loses interest in communicating back. The code keeps trying to push through and the update seems about 90% complete. It just never finishes.

I checked and the adapter listed Com Port 8 which is the one I was using. And part of the update did go through but not all. (Some of the relay switches complied with the new code and others didn't, so the port I am using is capable of uploading).

I finally gave up and updated via the cable. Will try my luck again tomorrow when adding new code.

Need to figure out how to control my Tunze controllable pump with the ReefAngel - some reading for tonight.