WIFI issue

Expansion modules and attachments
oftheangels

WIFI issue

Post by oftheangels »

I'm having a few issues with my wifi module. Any advice would be appreciated.

I setup my wifi using the wizard and it seemed to work (no errors). I also verified that port 2000 is open to the outside world (I have not connected my RA to the portal yet).

Here is a description of my problem:

I plug the wifi module into the RA and the light begins to blink green. I browse to http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/wifi and the portal comes up but all the values are 0. I refresh over and over to no avail... Eventually (after 10 minutes or so) the blue light starts blinking and I can no longer connect via the browser. If I unplug the wifi and plug it back in the green light begins to blink and I can connect again.

I'm not sure what's going on here. Any Advice?

-Leo
rimai

Re: WIFI issue

Post by rimai »

The internal webserver UI is very buggy and still on beta.
In fact, it has been revamped for the next release to a totally different backend technology and it will use the Uapp UI.
Try /r99 instead of /wifi to test it or use one of the smartphone apps.
It shouldn't blink blue though.
It means it is being disconnected from your router.
Did you try getting closer to the router?
Has your router changed or settings in it changed recently?
Roberto.
oftheangels

Post by oftheangels »

Thanks for the response,

I found that out... I opened the Developer tools in chrome and saw that it was throwing errors. I hooked up to the reef angel portal and everything seems to work properly... I don't need the local web server now that I have the portal setup but if you need help debugging it (or getting it to work) I'm happy to help. I'm a developer by trade and have lots of experience with web technologies like REST, json, jquery, etc... Let me know.

Right now the wifi expansion is working... I will keep an eye on it... For reference if I connect the wifi expansion directly to my computer and connect to it with CoolTerm it will eventually turn blue as well... Once it turns blue it is also not accessible via the terminal. This does not seem normal to me... What are your thoughts?

-LeoD
rimai

Post by rimai »

This current version uses jquery and I wasn't able to figure out why it didn't work.
The Uapp uses AngularJS.
So, with Tera Term, when the unit doesn't accept $$$ to enter command mode anymore either?
Roberto.
oftheangels

Post by oftheangels »

I'm on a Mac so I use cool term. Once the wifi unit turns blue it stops responding to commands. It just happened again. Strange.
rimai

Post by rimai »

I think you better off sending it back for me to look at it.
Send me a PM for RMA
Roberto.
oftheangels

Post by oftheangels »

I figured out that this is an issue with my home network. Still have not figured out exactly what the issue is at home. I took the wifi module into my work and hooked it up to my work network and it works fine. For anyone that is having a similar issue here are some troubleshooting tips:

You can connect to the module with CoolTerm (osx) or TeraTerm (windows). Before joining a network issue this command "set sys printlvl 2" This will show you the connection status changes. You can use the command "scan" which will show you the networks in range and the security model they are using (this is where the problem lies at home). At work it is a WPA1 network at home it is a WPA2. I have been using the WiFly manual to troubleshoot. It is linked in other posts but for reference it is located here: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 1844,d.dmo

Once I figure this out I will post the solution.

-LeoD
oftheangels

Post by oftheangels »

OK,

I figured out the issue. It had nothing to do with the authentication. When the module first connects it authenticates fine. The issue was that my router was not responding to probes properly. I have disabled the probes "set wlan linkmon 0" and everything seems to be working fine. I will keep an eye on it.

For reference, my symptoms were that the wifi module would connect fine and work properly for about 15 minutes and then the module would disconnect (blue flashing light). Apparently if the module does not get a response from the probe it shuts down the interface (which is what was happening in my case).

I hope this helps someone else out there.

-LeoD