Problem with (analog) dimming module

Expansion modules and attachments
TanksNStuff

Problem with (analog) dimming module

Post by TanksNStuff »

I've had my Reef Angel setup for a couple years now and everything has been working perfectly until last Friday.

I've not made any changes to my code nor hardware for at least a year, maybe more, so I'm not sure what is happening.

I have 2 Apollo LED's that require an analog signal to control dimming, and I believe I may have the very first Reef Angel analog dimmer ever made, since I had to send my PWM dimmer back to Roberto for modifications. Prior to that, there was no analog dimmer available.

Anyway, the Apollo LED's each have 1 blue channel and 1 white channel that I've been controlling via the Reef Angel and modified analog dimmer module. My code uses the parabola function and memory locations for the start/stop percent's and duration. I haven't messed with any of that since it was setup either, so that is not the problem.

So, all of a sudden, my LED channels 0 thru 3 stopped sending any signals to my fixtures.

My first thought was that maybe the fixtures broke, but 2 going at the same time was unlikely. I further ruled them out by removing the signal wires from the dimmer module, and used a 9v battery for the signal to test each channel individually. Both channels on both fixtures lighted up when using the battery as the analog signal. Result, fixtures are not broken. :D

That leaves me with 2 possible issues. Either the Dimmer module is bad, or the 12v power source is not supplying enough power to the dimmer module.

Next I tried to check both of those by checking for voltage with a multimeter. My main outlet and the powerstrip that my 12v adapter is plugged into both give me readings of 120v. So my "source" power supply is OK.

Then I checked the dimmer module by using 12VDC power "pin" for positive, and then used one of the Ground "pins" as negative. I checked both Grounds to be thorough and both gave me a reading of 0.09 volts! I thought that didn't seem right as it should be 12.0 volts. So, I then removed the casing on the plug part (where the small adapter parts are housed) and checked the 2 soldered wires and those also gave me 0.09 volts. So, it's not the wire leading up to the dimmer module, it seems to be a problem with the 12 VDC power adapter. :cry:

Am I correct in this analysis or could there be another issue that is causing the problem? I'm going to try to go find a new 12v adapter today and see if that fixes it. I'll report back later if it does or if the problem still persists.
TanksNStuff

Re: Problem with (analog) dimming module

Post by TanksNStuff »

Yep, the 12 VDC power supply was the issue. I picked one up from Radio Shack and wired it up... lights came right on as normal.

I got an Enercell 12VDC, 1.5A Output and replaced the original I had with the dimmer. Worked like a charm! :D