WiFi Attachment won't associate

Expansion modules and attachments
whamblen

WiFi Attachment won't associate

Post by whamblen »

Hi everyone,

New ReefAngel user and new WiFi attachment. I've done some forum reading about this and haven't been able to get it to work.

Router is a D-Link DIR-655 configured with WPA-Personal, WPA2-only, AES (i.e. WPA2-PSK). It's running 802.11n only. Nothing but ordinary lowercase letters in the SSID and passphrase. I've tried both a randomly assigned DHCP address and reserving one for the ReefAngel adapter. It doesn't make a difference.

The WiFi Utility successfully talks to the unit but comes back with Associated: false and Authenticated: false. The unit alternately flashes the blue and green LEDs. It actually does report an IP address and port (192.168.1.1:2000) but that's the IP of the router itself so that is obviously incorrect. I must have tried this at least a dozen times.

I am able to connect to the unit with a terminal program and everything in there looks correct. In here, after "Joining SSID now..." I get "Disconn from SSID, AUTH-ERR". Again, both blue and green LEDs are flashing. I've tried the process in the manual several times, including experimenting with authentication modes other than 4. The table says 4 is WAP2-PSK but 'get w' gives Auth=Mixed for that mode. I think it was mode 2 which gives Auth=WPA2. I also tried running the commands from the macro in the thread about not being able to connect after a firmware upgrade.

Anyway, on the router side when a connection is attempted the logs show "disconnected for reason: Received Deauthentication" and gives the unit's MAC address. So they *are* talking to each other at some level.

I do not have easy access to another router (other than Enterprise class stuff at work). I could try changing authentication mode on this router but not on a school night when the kids are doing homework. :-) There was a good reason why I have disabled b and g on the router but I've forgotten what that was. I'd be reluctant to undo that.

I have already been toying with the idea of running a cable to a 2nd router running as an access point in the basement (for signal strength). If I knew with some certainty that the ReefAngel unit would work with a different router I'd head off to Best Buy and see what they have for routers.

I will try changing security modes and such when it won't disturb the rest of the family. I'll report back if anything works.

Did anyone read this far? :-) Any ideas to get this working? Suggestions for currently available routers that people are using successfully with these adapters?

Thanks in advance,

- Bill
rimai

Re: WiFi Attachment won't associate

Post by rimai »

It only works on b or g.
n is not supported.
Roberto.
whamblen

Post by whamblen »

Well that certainly explains it! :-). Thanks for the quick response. I'll try turning g back on and see if anything happens that reminds me of why I turned it off. We may even have gotten rid of the device that had problems.

- Bill

P.S. So far I am loving the controller and really appreciate all the work that has gone into it.
whamblen

Post by whamblen »

No surprise, but turning on 'g' was all it took.

Thanks again.