Question about running multiple WiFi attachments/RA's and

Expansion modules and attachments
dapg8gt

Question about running multiple WiFi attachments/RA's and

Post by dapg8gt »

So long story short is I am a tank hoarder and I have multiple reef angels (4)in operation but only my main tank on the WiFi attachment. I need to install the spare onto another tank so how do I go about it? is it the same as the usual way? Do I need to have another port other than 2000 open on my router? I also just changed ISP's /modems/router and the WiFi utility was able to do everything including the port forwarding for me so thanks for that great piece of reef angel software =).Last go around was not that easy to open a port on my old uverse router .

I just ran the utility on my second one and its running in place of the original but my thought is how am I going to utilize it and know the difference since they are basically the same IP address and same port? What do I need to do to run multiple Reef Angels? I see the U APP has the functionality for it but how do I use/program it? I'm normally a Binder/Android App guy and would prefer that but I see from a thread he answered it does not have that functionality,so if i need to switch to the U APP i'm OK with that I just need some guidance please .

I know I will need to create a new portal, name, tank etc with a new DNS my question is how will I use the two WIFI attachments and if this has already been discussed I apologize I never have much luck with the search engine on the forum for some reason , please link the thread if that's the case and I'll start there.

Thanks a lot
Daniel
My other hobby has 450rwhp and eats tires instead of mysis!
dapg8gt

Re: Question about running multiple WiFi attachments/RA's an

Post by dapg8gt »

Found one thread speaking about assigning different internal ports to the other RA.. Need to figure out how to do it on my xfinity gateway now.. Looking inside the settings of the thing I don't even see a way to assign set ip's to a unit. My uverse router had a lot more options and I actually assigned the other WiFi adapter a set IP but I don't know if this one gives me that freedom it seems really basic compared to the others I've had.

I'll do some more digging but if anyone is familiar with the xfinity cisco DPC3941T let me know if you have any pointers.. TIA
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

You can either assign different internal ports (more work, need to reconfig one of the wifi modules) or redirect a different external port to port 2000 on the other wifi module. The latter is easier, but sometimes routers have issues not redirecting to the same port.
dapg8gt

Post by dapg8gt »

Thanks for the info I'll look into how to accomplish that on my router.. I've got the port forwarding finally figured out after the wifi wizard auto port fowarding worked for a day but then closed the port on my gateway..
binder

Post by binder »

I use the different external ports. I do the following:

external:2000 --> ra1:2000
external:2001 --> ra2:2000

obviously I use the proper dns entries and ip addresses, but that is how I handle multiple on my network.

Correct, my android app does not support multiple ra's yet. I unfortunately have not had much free time to get it implemented.
You could use the Home profile for one ra and the Away profile for another. The only drawback with this route is you would not get the auto updating on one of the ra's. That may or may not be an issue to you.
Otherwise, the Uapp would be your best option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
dapg8gt

Post by dapg8gt »

How/where do I define the external ports?

Is it as simple as in the port Forwarding rules/page I add the other port (ex:2000) in the from field and 2001 in the to field?

I can't figure it out so far and when I used the wifi tool to set up the second module it closed my. Forwarded port 2000 on my existing module and now my router won't allow me to open port 2000..thats an internal issue I think I can fix by rebooting the gateway but I'm still at a loss on how to define an external port..

I have the ip's to both modules and they are both configured to use port 2000 but I can't figure out the external port.. My gateway seems pretty basic and doesn't have many fields to use in Port forwarding.. It also has a port triggering page but I don't think that is what I need..

Sorry for the rant and I'm sure I'm not making sense here I'm just bummed as I had it set up and running on the new gateway and now I've gotta start all over and reboot or call customer service to see why my ports will not open the same way it did previously and the only way it's really able to on my gateway.. The Unpnp function worked temporarily before but did not this time around.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Yes you should just be able to define the port as something else in the GUI. But it sounds like you have it backward. The from field would be the different port i.e. 2001 in binders example and it would go to 2000 in the to field and pointing to your second ra. You may be having trouble because you can only have one destination for each from field so you can't have two 2000s.
dapg8gt

Post by dapg8gt »

Thanks for taking the time to answer guys =)..

I've tried a few different scenarios in the start /end field and it will only allow me to start from a lower value and end in either the same or a higher value.. I don't think my gateway will allow multiple ip's to utilize a single forwarded port, when I attempt to do it with a different start port ( lower) it says "error port is already defined" or something along those lines .. When I get home I'll screen shot the page that I can configure port forwarding from and maybe I'm just slow and can't grasp what I need to do..

Good news is the main tank is back up and the port is open and I can use the app on the second tank within my LAN. I may need to reconfigure the wifi module to another port so I can remotely use/monitor the tank.. I'll research that once I have some time.. Again thanks for the assistance guys always appreciated..