DC Pumps that work with RA

Expansion modules and attachments
robmwpropane

Re: DC Pumps that work with RA

Post by robmwpropane »

I can confirm the reef angel connected to an A1 controller will control a DCP 10000. It is 0-10v analog, and you can see the pinout in the manual. It is pins 5 and 6 for speed.

So I guess this means for anyone with DCT, DCS, or DCP pump you can now control it. I must say I was hesitant about buying the DCP, but it feels/looks really well made. I've seen pictures of the DC series jebao, and it looked like junk. What does this mean?.......absolutely nothing, but I'll be sure to post back if anything fails.

I was able to get the DCP to flow at 10% and higher via the app. I'll take some pictures when I get it plumbed in the tank, now it's just in a bucket.
MacSakkie

Post by MacSakkie »

Hi Rob, would love to see the setup. I have a DCP 8000 so very interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robmwpropane

Post by robmwpropane »

MacSakkie wrote:Hi Rob, would love to see the setup. I have a DCP 8000 so very interested
How long have you had the 8000? What's your thoughts on it thus far?

Here are some preliminary photos and a video of it working in a bucket. Right now it's wired to channel 4 of the dimmer module, but I think I'll take it to the daylight channel on the relay for a cleaner look in the app. This way it would only be shown on the "DC pump" page and not with my dimmer also.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uuio6abc9c46 ... TwUAa?dl=0
robmwpropane

Post by robmwpropane »

Does anyone know if we can use the ReefKeeper DCI DC Pump Interface from Digital Aquatics? I don't know why I didn't see this before, but it has 2 leads to control 2 pumps~$30/pump.

It would be great to get this and control a smaller DC pump for the skimmer, as now my skimmer uses more electricity than anything else besides lights, (or at least it will when the DC pump is put in place as the return)

I asked BRS if they know the pinouts and what's the max amperage that can be driven (size pump). I haven't found the pinouts, but it looks to be 0-10v analog...

I mean, it's only looking for a signal, it doesn't care where the signal is coming from as long as it's 0-10v

I'm not sure if I can post outside links, but reef angel doesn't have anything like this yet, so here goes. If this is wrong, please let me know and I'll remove it

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reefkeepe ... atics.html

Edit: I'm thinking this is for the older style DC Pumps.. :?
Last edited by robmwpropane on Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacSakkie

Post by MacSakkie »

I've been using the 8000 for four months, no hassles... I'm happy with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robmwpropane

Post by robmwpropane »

Well....I got around to finalizing all connections and plumbed in the pump. The reef angel had a seizure as soon as the pump came on. Roberto said they were "bus locks". It's definitely the A1 controller (or my wiring, although it worked brfore), as soon as I put the stock controller instead of A1 in place all returns to normal. I tried running wires away from everything else, still the same issue. Funny thing is, I did not have this issue when trying it in the bucket the other night? Same connections to the dimmer expansion also, nothings really changed???

I'll take another wack at it when I have time later this week.

Plus side, stock controller says at 50% flow, which is more flow than my other pump, it's only using 29watts! (Compared to 110) That's nuts.
Last edited by robmwpropane on Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
robmwpropane

Post by robmwpropane »

That was short lived...

So I played around some more last night / this morning. No matter what I do, having the DC Pump plugged in causes a bus lock. I have it plugged into a different circuit, and it still does it eventually, without the A1 controller. I don't know what's causing it. Is it too close to my ph / temp sensor? Why would it do that?

I went down this morning and it was locked up again, so I had to put in my old pump.

Edit: I started a new thread here;
http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 275#p54275
robmwpropane

Post by robmwpropane »

Finally had time to get this all worked out. I had to mount EVERYTHING to do with the DC pump away from EVERYTHING to do with the RA. The only thing that comes close to the RA is the line plugged into the standard dimming port on the relay box that controls the DCP 10000. No matter what I did, it would not work on the dimming expansion. It would start to bus lock within a minute or two.

So far I really like having the DC pump. Yesterday when I got done I did a water change. Ramped the pump to 100% after stirring the bottom pretty good. It was amazing how much crud it removed. I'm running the pump around 55%-60% normally.
saf1

Post by saf1 »

How does this work on the DCT series? I have a DCT 15000 that I was going to use either has a return or pump for my LifeReef skimmer. Other pump is the Vectra which I believe requires the icecap unit.
robmwpropane

Post by robmwpropane »

saf1 wrote:How does this work on the DCT series? I have a DCT 15000 that I was going to use either has a return or pump for my LifeReef skimmer. Other pump is the Vectra which I believe requires the icecap unit.
I don't understand your ?. Did you look at the manual from Fish Street on the controller?
libertyaquarium

Post by libertyaquarium »

After 2 years running a Jebao DC pump it finally died last night. RIP

Any alternative in ourdays to a Returning Pump that can be controlled by RA (using RA*). I use a "robertoflow" kind of code on my system and would love to keep using it.

Anyone?
Last edited by libertyaquarium on Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
libertyaquarium

robmwpropane

Post by robmwpropane »

libertyaquarium wrote:Humm

Look what I found:

https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/aqual ... x-adapter/
I have used that. It works, but sadly I couldn't get it to work without causing "bus locks" on the RA. I have some shielded cat 6 wire to try, but haven't gotten around to it. I only had bus locks when I had the dimmer expansion module controlling both the LED lights and the pump. I could control either or just fine. I even tried running the pump controller on the other side of my 6' tank and it still cause locks. Again, shielded wire may have fixed the problem....I just need to do it and see.

Just sharing my experience.

My DCP (either 10000 or 12000) has been going strong for 3 years now, still works as the day it was new.. I do try and make a point to clean every 6-12 months.
libertyaquarium

TKS for sharing

I would get the same problem. I would like to control a wavemaker and a DCT (or DCS) Pump on the same time.

Well.. any news on it give us all a feedback, please
robmwpropane

Post by robmwpropane »

libertyaquarium wrote:TKS for sharing

I would get the same problem. I would like to control a wavemaker and a DCT (or DCS) Pump on the same time.

Well.. any news on it give us all a feedback, please
Your welcome. It's been a few years since I messed with the controller, so I wouldn't hold your breath. It's on my list, but life has a funny way of catching up....kids, work, wife, etc.

For now, I run the pump at the same speed, so not really any reason to use the controller. Someday I would like to get it up and running, like I said, I have the shielded wire, would just take an afternoon to wire up (lights, and controller). I'll get there...

Edit: I had mentioned having the DCP pump for 3 years, I redid the math and it's only been 2....just wanted to clarify (I'm sure it'll now die now that I've mentioned it's still going...)
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Did you try using the Daylight/Actinic PWM ports on the relay box if you have an older RA or a bigger stretch of a solution would be getting a STAR and using the builtin PWM on the unit and separating the lights from the pump. One on the dimming module and the other on the builtin
robmwpropane

Post by robmwpropane »

lnevo wrote:Did you try using the Daylight/Actinic PWM ports on the relay box if you have an older RA or a bigger stretch of a solution would be getting a STAR and using the builtin PWM on the unit and separating the lights from the pump. One on the dimming module and the other on the builtin
Yes. I tried it both ways. One from the dimming expansion relay and then also from the pwm from the box. Both ways caused bus locks. As I said, next step would have been to use shielded wire to see if it blocked the interferences.

The Star came out about a year after I got my RA. I'm not sure if it would cure my issues or not....would be an expensive fix though...
pisanoal1

Post by pisanoal1 »

robmwpropane wrote:
lnevo wrote:Did you try using the Daylight/Actinic PWM ports on the relay box if you have an older RA or a bigger stretch of a solution would be getting a STAR and using the builtin PWM on the unit and separating the lights from the pump. One on the dimming module and the other on the builtin
Yes. I tried it both ways. One from the dimming expansion relay and then also from the pwm from the box. Both ways caused bus locks. As I said, next step would have been to use shielded wire to see if it blocked the interferences.

The Star came out about a year after I got my RA. I'm not sure if it would cure my issues or not....would be an expensive fix though...

Any progress made? I have a dcp that I run closed loop and would be interested in varying the flow if you figured this out.