Bus Locks and DC Pumps

Expansion modules and attachments
robmwpropane

Bus Locks and DC Pumps

Post by robmwpropane »

I figured I would start a new thread, as it's really a seperate issue and might get more attention this way. My RA has worked flawlessly since it's 1st day a few months ago. I just bought a DC pump, specifically the DCP 10000 as a return pump, with an A1 controller. When I plug it in I get bus locks, it's like the RA has seizures. No rhyme or reason, I can hear the relays click off and on, and can hear the protein skimmer motor die for a split second and come back on. I started with an A1 controller from fish street so the RA could control it, that's when it was the worst. Some things I've tried;

Moving the control wire to the dimmer module
Taking the A1 controller out and using the stock controller
Moving the electric wire
Running an extension cord from a completely different circuit across the room

No matter what I do, eventually it causes a bus lock. Could the pump itself be too close to something? I have it in the same section of the sump as the temp sensor, ph probe, and 2-300watt heaters. The RA is about 12" from the pump on the other side of a wall.

Do DC pumps put out some kind of electro magnetic field or something (if that sounds silly, it's because I'm not an electrician, lol)

I'm at a loss, sure could use some help to figure this out???? :|
Last edited by robmwpropane on Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
robmwpropane

Re: Bus Locks and DC Pumps

Post by robmwpropane »

Thought I would add, the DC pump is also about 12"-14" away from everything to do with the RA (although through a plywood wall), I have wifi, Rf, bluetooth, dimming module, and expansion hub.

Maybe I can add some type of tinfoil wall (sounds cheap, I like cheap) in the sump to block any interference until I fine a better solution. I'm just grasping at straws / thinking out loud, lol.

Is there any way to "test" what type of interference would be coming from the pump itself? When I tested the pump in a bucket connected to the dimming module controlled by the A1, the bucket was 5' or so away from the tank. I did not have any issues, but the "test" was pretty short, just a few minuted to verify everything was working.
MacSakkie

Post by MacSakkie »

Hi Rob,

I tried to reply to your PM but apparently I am not allowed... Not active enough. So to answer your questions:

I have my DCP8000 running in the return section of my sump. It is about 20cm from my probes, all wiring goes through one hole in the back of my sump cover. The Reef Angel is about 40cm from the DCP. So no electro magnetic interference with from there...

My expansion hub crapped out on me a week ago and I got bus locks every time I connected it, even with nothing else connected to it. I replaced it and everything is running smoothly. I have an additional relay box and a dimming expansion connected to the expansion hub. I have two Kessil 360's, three moonlights and a Jebao RW20 running off the dimming expansion.
robmwpropane

Post by robmwpropane »

MacSakkie wrote:Hi Rob,

I tried to reply to your PM but apparently I am not allowed... Not active enough. So to answer your questions:

I have my DCP8000 running in the return section of my sump. It is about 20cm from my probes, all wiring goes through one hole in the back of my sump cover. The Reef Angel is about 40cm from the DCP. So no electro magnetic interference with from there...

My expansion hub crapped out on me a week ago and I got bus locks every time I connected it, even with nothing else connected to it. I replaced it and everything is running smoothly. I have an additional relay box and a dimming expansion connected to the expansion hub. I have two Kessil 360's, three moonlights and a Jebao RW20 running off the dimming expansion.
Thanks for the quick reply. I will give that a shot, unplugging the expansion hub, although I don't think that's my issue as it works flawless without the DCP pump lugged in. Without it plugged in, it would remove the rf, dimming module, and expansion hub itself, so at least I'll know what it might be causing interference with?

So you do not have wifi?

I have to go to work, so I'll repond again later. Have a great day!
MacSakkie

Post by MacSakkie »

Yes, I have wifi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robmwpropane

Post by robmwpropane »

Just to follow up with all this. I had a heck of a time getting the DC pump installed to where it didn't cause bus locks. I could not get it to work while running it from the dimming expansion. My LED lights are 0-5v PWM, where as the DC pump is 0-10v analog. The only thing that I didn't try was using shielded cat6 cable for the control wires. I have some blue line that I had laying around, it's shielded just not with the tin foil stuff in it.

The only way I got it to work was to use the standard dimming on the relay box, and even then the control box and all wiring had to be mounted on the opposite side of the tank. The only thing even close to the RA now is the control wire. No bus locks in 24 hours so fingers crossed.