Building High Power Relay Box in other Room

Expansion modules and attachments
tkeracer619

Building High Power Relay Box in other Room

Post by tkeracer619 »

I'd like to get started on my relay box for the lighting on my 600gal reef. Just want to run it buy you guys first before I start picking up parts. My light fixture consists of roughly 1200w halide and about 600w of T5 and will be run off a dedicated 20a circuit.

The relay box will need to reside upstairs which is about a ~30ft run from the controller so my plan is to use an I/O expansion module attached to the controller and run a multi-conductor cable up to the relay box. I won't be able to use a standard relay expansion box due to current requirements, do not want any wireless control, and excessive distance from the controller.

The loads will be switched using Schneider relays that are driven by an opto-isolated relay driver board such as to stay under the 25ma output limit on the I/O module. Correct me if i'm wrong but I assume the IO module provides 5v.

Each ballast will be individually fused and hardwired, it will not be exposed to moisture.

Ch0 = Actinic
Ch1 = Blue+ A
Ch2 = Blue+ B
Ch3 = Halides
Ch4 = Aux
Ch5 = Aux

I'm a little confused on how I operate the IO Module as an output. I've seen some examples but since I am terrible at code they don't quite make sense to me. I have the older IO modules, seems there was a change somewhere along the way.
tkeracer619

Re: Building High Power Relay Box in other Room

Post by tkeracer619 »

I assume I'm good to go here since nobody said "stop,no,don't" so I plan on getting started this week. Will post updates as I go.