Odd Radion Behavior

Expansion modules and attachments
sbidny

Odd Radion Behavior

Post by sbidny »

Trying to get my RF expansion module to control my Radions, and I'm seeing some really odd behaviors.

First, after I factory reset one of my XR30s to basic mode, it just turns on to full brightness. It doesn't appear to be controlled by the RA.

Second, my XR15 does appear to be controlled by the RA even while controlled by my ReefLink / EcoSmart Live. When I factory reset this light, it ends up behaving the same way as the XR30s. It just goes to full brightness. As soon as I re-link it to EcoSmart Live, it starts taking commands from the RA again. That seem counter-intuitive.

I believe I have updated the firmware in my RF module, but I'll double-check. Can someone point me to the latest firmware, so I know I'm using the right one?
rimai

Re: Odd Radion Behavior

Post by rimai »

You can only have one master at any given time. If using RA, your Reeflink can't be on and vice versa.
They both are broadcasting data every 100ms or so.
Roberto.
sbidny

Post by sbidny »

Unfortunately, powering down the ReefLink makes no difference. The factory reset lights in basic mode continue to be on at 100%.
rimai

Post by rimai »

You just mentioned above that RA was controlling the XR15, right?
What changed?
Roberto.
sbidny

Post by sbidny »

The XR15 only works with the RA when paired with the ReefLink, not after a factory reset to basic mode. The XR30s don’t appear to exhibit this same behavior. I haven’t been able to get them to appear to take any direction from the RA.

Both the XR15 and XR30s just go to 100% after a factory reset.
rimai

Post by rimai »

What happens when you pair XR15 to reeflink and turn it off after pairing?
Does RA take over?
I think this is the same thing as the vortech drivers you experienced. The master is only a transmitter of data, whether it is another ecotech product or RA.
There is no such thing as slaves will only listen to a master it was paired with. Once they are slaves, they will listen to any master within the vicinity.
Roberto.
sbidny

Post by sbidny »

I mean, I’ll give it a shot. But that does go against the opposite advice of a number of other threads, where putting the lights into basic mode was required for the RA to control them.

I’m a bit curious though. I thought that the ReefLink simply sent a new schedule over to the Radions when you programmed them, and that they were largely autonomous from that point forward. If the ReefLink went away, the Radions continued to function on their own.

What kind of data is the ReefLink sending every 100 ms? Is it some kind of heartbeating?
sbidny

Post by sbidny »

BTW, I say this because the RA is able to control the XR15 even with the ReefLink active. Only when I sent a new schedule via the ReefLink would the XR15 try to apply it and then revert back to the RA schedule.

The XR30s aren’t behaving this way. They aren’t taking any commands from the RA with the ReefLink up. So I suspect they won’t take them with it down either. I’ll give it a shot, but I don’t have high hopes.
sbidny

Post by sbidny »

Worth mentioning that my XR30s are on OS Rev 1.7.8 and 2.1.15. They are two different builds, so they run different firmwares.

The XR15 is running 2.1.12. I wonder if I can get the 2.1.15 XR30s back to 2.1.12 to test that.

1.7.8 is actually from Neptune (https://www.neptunesystems.com/getstart ... ionupdate/), so I wonder if it could be causing issues. I can try to get those back a version as well.

This is all pending testing the XR30s paired with the ReefLink but with the ReefLink down.
sbidny

Post by sbidny »

Can someone confirm that this is the latest RF expansion module firmware?:

http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 1a3#p46477
rimai

Post by rimai »

Yeah, that should be the one.
Roberto.