wi-fi attachment set up

Expansion modules and attachments
jgriffith

wi-fi attachment set up

Post by jgriffith »

I went through the set up and everything looked good (slow blinking green light). But I entered the IP address I saw when setting up (from "view wi-fi settings" on the wi-fi utility). But, when I go to the portal to enter my IP it does not connect ("unreachable"). Not sure if I should post my IP on this (I dont know if you are supposed to do that or not?).
wolfador

Re: wi-fi attachment set up

Post by wolfador »

you should be using your "external" ip address not your internal (usually 192. or 10.)

If you go to http://www.whatismyip.com/ it will tell you your external ip. Make sure you are entering that. If that does not work your firewall is probably blocking port 2000.

You should be able to find a guide at http://portforward.com/ for your router.
John
ReefAngel and ReefAngel-HD developer
If the RA iOS app has helped please consider a donation
jgriffith

Post by jgriffith »

it is a 10.

I guess I need to check out the firewall settings on my router (its an apple time capsule router).
wolfador

Post by wolfador »

jgriffith wrote:it is a 10.

I guess I need to check out the firewall settings on my router (its an apple time capsule router).
Check out http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.ph ... g&start=20

I posted some screenshots of how my Airport Extreme (same as Timecapsule minus internal harddrive) is configured.
John
ReefAngel and ReefAngel-HD developer
If the RA iOS app has helped please consider a donation
jgriffith

Post by jgriffith »

great, thanks!
jgriffith

Post by jgriffith »

now im even more confused. I use the address in the above link for my IP instead of the one I saw in the wi-fi utility setup? It was a 10. in the wi-fi utility. Also my airport utilty looks different than the one in the link above. Do I do a DHCP reservation? or Enable NAT Port mapping protocol? I am really confused.
jgriffith

Post by jgriffith »

Finally figured it out, now how do i give my attachment a static ip address (i think thats what i want, so it doesnt change?)

Edit: Ok i reserved a dhcp lease, but there is not an unlimited setting, for now i picked 365 days

Edit: changed it to a bunch of 99999s so i should be good!
Last edited by jgriffith on Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
rossbryant1956

Post by rossbryant1956 »

if you look up in the post I asked the same question and binder said instead to reserve the address it grabbed instead of using a static ip. I never did find a way to assign a static ip to the wifi device. thx
Roscoe's Reefs - Starting Over Again:

Building new 29g Nano after landlord went berserk over my 4 75 gallon tanks, Multiple RA's, Water mixing stations, etc. Your help welcomed in remembering all I've forgotten.
jgriffith

Post by jgriffith »

rossbryant1956 wrote:if you look up in the post I asked the same question and binder said instead to reserve the address it grabbed instead of using a static ip. I never did find a way to assign a static ip to the wifi device. thx

The ip to my wi-fi changed all the time, so I reserved an address for it using its MAC address, I reserved it for like 9999999999 days give or take a 9 or two.
binder

Post by binder »

The lease time on the reserved address shouldn't really matter. Mine are all set for 1 day. What I did with mine is have mine serve up an ip address outside the normal DHCP range. My DHCP range is from 100-150. And here's what my static IP leases look like.
static lease
static lease
static-lease.png (42.33 KiB) Viewed 6245 times