Old laptop instead of wifi?

Expansion modules and attachments
chort55

Old laptop instead of wifi?

Post by chort55 »

I was wondering if I could hook my new RA up to my old laptop and be able to access it through the android app, or through the RA interface somehow..... as well as send alerts to my phone with it set up this way?
chort55

Re: Old laptop instead of wifi?

Post by chort55 »

I know obviously I could hook the RA to the old laptop just not 100% sure that I would be able to use the android app or interface from my phone to control it while I am away.
wolfador

Post by wolfador »

chort55 wrote:I know obviously I could hook the RA to the old laptop just not 100% sure that I would be able to use the android app or interface from my phone to control it while I am away.

Without the wifi module there is no webserver on the RA, so you would not be able to use any of the apps. You could use a remote desktop app like teamviewer to remote to your laptop and use the Client suite to control but it is kind of clunky.
John
ReefAngel and ReefAngel-HD developer
If the RA iOS app has helped please consider a donation
rimai

Post by rimai »

Although I've never tried, you may be able to use a serial-to-TCP application on your laptop.
This would let you connect remotely, but it would not give you the Portal interface.
Roberto.
binder

Post by binder »

There's an app that Dave & I were working on to function exactly like you were talking. It has the usb cable connected to the controller and the computer. The program is a simple java app that is a webserver that listens for commands and then relays them to the controller's builtin webserver. It's essentially a web to serial forwarder. We haven't finished it because it didn't work well on cross platform. I'm not sure what the status is of it either. Dave knows more about the status that I.
chort55

Post by chort55 »

rimai wrote:Although I've never tried, you may be able to use a serial-to-TCP application on your laptop.
This would let you connect remotely, but it would not give you the Portal interface.
I was actually thinking maybe the cable that came with the RA unit that we use to upload the codes could be used to do what I was thinking somehow, but after doing some more reading it seems that cable is more one way.... but I could be wrong.
chort55

Post by chort55 »

binder wrote:There's an app that Dave & I were working on to function exactly like you were talking. It has the usb cable connected to the controller and the computer. The program is a simple java app that is a webserver that listens for commands and then relays them to the controller's builtin webserver. It's essentially a web to serial forwarder. We haven't finished it because it didn't work well on cross platform. I'm not sure what the status is of it either. Dave knows more about the status that I.
I didnt even think about there being a usb cable on the controller, that would probably be the most ideal in that scenario..... but not a big deal I will probably eventually just get the wifi module anyways.... just figured if there was a way to use something I already had collecting dust mind as well give it a shot. Thank you tho, and thanks for all the things you guys all do!