Temp probe (non-water proof)

Request new hardware or ideas for the controller
DrewPalmer04

Temp probe (non-water proof)

Post by DrewPalmer04 »

Interesting idea for us guys that want to use only one tank (waterproof) temp probe.

An inexpensive (yes more inexpensive?) non-water proof temp sensor for our canopy and room temps.

Possible? I would assume the production would be cheap as you're not dealing with any stainless steel?
Out for now...but not over.

VISIT: Ethernet Module/Wifi Alternative
wolfador

Re: Temp probe (non-water proof)

Post by wolfador »

on any reef tank I think corrosion would be an issue if they weren't stainless.
John
ReefAngel and ReefAngel-HD developer
If the RA iOS app has helped please consider a donation
DrewPalmer04

Post by DrewPalmer04 »

I am speaking of outside the water. Room/Canopy temps...there would be no use for stainless steel. These would need to be mounted away from any risks of saltwater being near them. I'm thinking just a simple temp sensor and wires...DIY the rest.

Sebyte

Post by Sebyte »

If you really want to DIY temperature sensors then google Arduino Temperature Sensors. There are a lot of sites and more information available than you would think ;)

But I would agree with Wolfador, corrosion will be an issue even in canopies or any area adjacent to the tank. The slightest salt creep into a joint will change the resistance value and in all probability the readings.

IMHO when you take into consideration the hundreds of $ we spend on our hobby, 9$ for a temperature probe which is of the high quality that RA provide is not even worth considering trying to DIY, and I am big on DIY :)

To manufacture and distribute commercially I am not sure ther could be much saved on a probe. It would still require some encapsulation, and that is the part of the process that is expensive, even if it is glass, plastic or resin.
DrewPalmer04

Post by DrewPalmer04 »

Totally agree. Just thoughts :)