Eheim autofeeder

Request new hardware or ideas for the controller
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:08 pm
I've been traveling a bit and occasionally just forget to feed the fish in my tank so I bought an inexpensive Eheim autofeeder. The simple thing to do is to just match up the timing with my feeder to shut down the powerheads for a bit. However, I'd like to try and incorporate it a bit more with my RA. So I have a couple of questions I'm hoping a few of you more electronically talented :geek: maybe able to answer.

1. The feeder runs on 2 1.5V AA batteries. Can I run a 5V line to power it from the RA or is that likely too much voltage? It just means I wouldn't have to wonder if the batteries are OK.

2. It has a timer, but also a button switch that triggers a feed. I'd like to connect that button to a signal from the RA to set the feeder caddy to initiate a feed.

Has anyone done this already or know how I should go about it?

Thanks,
Jon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:54 pm
I cannot make it do all that but I have the same feeder and have successfully timed my feeding mode to the timer on the eheim. Here is the post here.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=512&p=4117&hilit=PHMax_#p4117

Perhaps this will help someone. Thx
Roscoe's Reefs - Starting Over Again:

Building new 29g Nano after landlord went berserk over my 4 75 gallon tanks, Multiple RA's, Water mixing stations, etc. Your help welcomed in remembering all I've forgotten.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:19 pm
I stumbled across this thread recently and may try something like this myself. http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/diy-do-yourself/126777-successfully-hooked-eheim-feeder-up-apex-3.htmll However, I there may be easier ways to get at it.

-Jon
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:48 am
Update for those interested :geek: ...I followed the basic protocol above except I just purchased a 3v dc power line to replace the batteries and used this relay http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062478 instead for the RA and it works great! You can store the feed time and if you want it on/off like Curt outlined here: http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=194&hilit=autofeeder.
I control the 5V signal for the relay from my IO expansion, but you could just as well use at ATO port.

Cool stuff :D , it's a relief for me to know I can trigger a feeding anytime if I'm away or leave it on for a daily feeding.

-Jon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:32 pm
Nice :)
Roberto.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:37 am
So, just as a reference, since I don't have an IO module, ilI was curious how this could be done with just an outlet control. I found this DIY thread

http://wamas.org/forums/blog/13/entry-4 ... ontroller/

The pictures and schematic are unavailable, but there is a nice parts list, so i figure I can figure it out one day when I'm ready to tackle this project :)

This, a skimmate collector and skimmer cleaner and I can go away indefinitely :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:36 am
You can use a small DC power supply to open/close the relay.
Just make sure the voltage is compatible with the coil voltage. So, if you buy a relay with coil of 12VDC, buy a power supply of 12VDC and you should be good.
Roberto.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:48 pm
Yep, the Eheim needs both a power supply and a relay to trigger the feeding (mimics the button push). Mine works off a 3V wallwart (or battery) and a small 5v relay. You could trigger the relay with an IO output like I did or with a 5V wallwart on a relay.

-Jon
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:27 pm
Well long term, Id like to use the wall wart since I don't currently have or plan on having the IO module...maybe one day if the need arises. I'd like to follow that DIY with the relay and capacitor to drain the relay so its a momentary press, but the schematic posted seems expired and I'm not electronic saavy enough at the moment to figure it out :) Oh, and I need to get an auto-feeder. :)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:57 pm
Do you have PWM or an unused ATO pin?

-Jon
Next

Return to Requests