Eheim autofeeder

Request new hardware or ideas for the controller
jsclownfish

Eheim autofeeder

Post by jsclownfish »

I've been traveling a bit and occasionally just forget to feed the fish in my tank so I bought an inexpensive Eheim autofeeder. The simple thing to do is to just match up the timing with my feeder to shut down the powerheads for a bit. However, I'd like to try and incorporate it a bit more with my RA. So I have a couple of questions I'm hoping a few of you more electronically talented :geek: maybe able to answer.

1. The feeder runs on 2 1.5V AA batteries. Can I run a 5V line to power it from the RA or is that likely too much voltage? It just means I wouldn't have to wonder if the batteries are OK.

2. It has a timer, but also a button switch that triggers a feed. I'd like to connect that button to a signal from the RA to set the feeder caddy to initiate a feed.

Has anyone done this already or know how I should go about it?

Thanks,
Jon
rossbryant1956

Re: Eheim autofeeder

Post by rossbryant1956 »

I cannot make it do all that but I have the same feeder and have successfully timed my feeding mode to the timer on the eheim. Here is the post here.

http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.ph ... Max_#p4117

Perhaps this will help someone. Thx
Roscoe's Reefs - Starting Over Again:

Building new 29g Nano after landlord went berserk over my 4 75 gallon tanks, Multiple RA's, Water mixing stations, etc. Your help welcomed in remembering all I've forgotten.
jsclownfish

Post by jsclownfish »

I stumbled across this thread recently and may try something like this myself. http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/diy ... ex-3.htmll However, I there may be easier ways to get at it.

-Jon
jsclownfish

Post by jsclownfish »

Update for those interested :geek: ...I followed the basic protocol above except I just purchased a 3v dc power line to replace the batteries and used this relay http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2062478 instead for the RA and it works great! You can store the feed time and if you want it on/off like Curt outlined here: http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.ph ... autofeeder.
I control the 5V signal for the relay from my IO expansion, but you could just as well use at ATO port.

Cool stuff :D , it's a relief for me to know I can trigger a feeding anytime if I'm away or leave it on for a daily feeding.

-Jon
rimai

Post by rimai »

Nice :)
Roberto.
lnevo

Eheim autofeeder

Post by lnevo »

So, just as a reference, since I don't have an IO module, ilI was curious how this could be done with just an outlet control. I found this DIY thread

http://wamas.org/forums/blog/13/entry-4 ... ontroller/

The pictures and schematic are unavailable, but there is a nice parts list, so i figure I can figure it out one day when I'm ready to tackle this project :)

This, a skimmate collector and skimmer cleaner and I can go away indefinitely :)
rimai

Post by rimai »

You can use a small DC power supply to open/close the relay.
Just make sure the voltage is compatible with the coil voltage. So, if you buy a relay with coil of 12VDC, buy a power supply of 12VDC and you should be good.
Roberto.
jsclownfish

Post by jsclownfish »

Yep, the Eheim needs both a power supply and a relay to trigger the feeding (mimics the button push). Mine works off a 3V wallwart (or battery) and a small 5v relay. You could trigger the relay with an IO output like I did or with a 5V wallwart on a relay.

-Jon
lnevo

Eheim autofeeder

Post by lnevo »

Well long term, Id like to use the wall wart since I don't currently have or plan on having the IO module...maybe one day if the need arises. I'd like to follow that DIY with the relay and capacitor to drain the relay so its a momentary press, but the schematic posted seems expired and I'm not electronic saavy enough at the moment to figure it out :) Oh, and I need to get an auto-feeder. :)
jsclownfish

Post by jsclownfish »

Do you have PWM or an unused ATO pin?

-Jon
lnevo

Eheim autofeeder

Post by lnevo »

Nope :)
dcartier

Post by dcartier »

I bought one of these for use over Christmas. I installed a micro 5V relay inside and ran a cable out with an 2 pin ATO connector on it. It worked great. Kept things fed for a week.

Dennis
jsclownfish

Post by jsclownfish »

Awesome! Just out of curiosity how are you scheduling feedings? I really like the small doses each hour with a brief feeding timer. It just feels a bit more natural for the fish. It's really funny how they know when the waves stop during the day it's feeding time. They all go right to the feeder drop point when it happens.
-Jon
dcartier

Post by dcartier »

For the feeding schedule, I just had my RA turn on feeding mode at 6:00 PM and press the button at 6:01 (to give my overflows time to drain).

They only thing I was not as crazy about is the flakes tended to stay on the surface so my yellow tang tends to miss out as his nose is just not made for surface feeding (or at least he thinks it isn't).

I recently found a feeding float. It is a foam rectangle with a plastic inner frame that that floats on the surface. It comes with a rod on a suction cup. I think the next time I use my feeder I will position it under the feeder so the flakes fall into the rectangle. That will mean they can't go down the overflows and maybe the tang will get a chance if leftovers sink.

Dennis
jsclownfish

Post by jsclownfish »

I like the idea of the ring. I've seen something like that before as well. My yellow tang gets after the flakes pretty well, even on the surface.

-Jon
00Warpig00

Post by 00Warpig00 »

Use pellets instead of flakes... like New Life Spectrum Thera +A 1mm pellets. some float for a few seconds and some drop like a rock as soon as they hit the water. My fish, at least, think they are crack. I even have a pair of flame angels that try to eat the 3mm size and physically cant because they are too big. My Tangs, Pearlscale Butterfly, Majestic Foxface, and puffer all LOVE the 3mm ones. Most of the rest of my fish eat the 1mm size. If you haven't tried them I cannot recommend enough. Well worth the money.

Nick
180G FOWLR
20GH QT#1
29G QT#2

jsclownfish

Post by jsclownfish »

I'm looking for an idea on how to trigger the feeder away from the tank. When I'm observing the tank with the webcam or showing it to someone I thought it would be really cool to be able to trigger the feeder remotely so they can see all the fish in the live video feed. :geek: The relay just needs a change status from open to closed (like a push button does) to trigger the feeding. So when I do use my code I just have it quickly open then close the relay. I could probably just send a memory change command from say 0 to 1 and then a second command to switch it back, but it would be more elegant for it to switch back on it's own after I change it. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jon
lnevo

Eheim autofeeder

Post by lnevo »

Yeah. Thats exactly what you want it to do. Thats how my auto water change and ato refill modes work.

If memory location = 1 then set it to 0 and do whatever :)

Should work great!
jsclownfish

Post by jsclownfish »

Yes, but is there a way to have it automatically reset to back to 1 after a short period of time if changed to "let go of the button"?

-Jon
lnevo

Eheim autofeeder

Post by lnevo »

Put your actions to turn the feeder on in a function. Call the function to turn it on for whatever thats gonna do...once the function is triggered you can reset the variable and continue "holding" the button the way you normally would.
lnevo

Eheim autofeeder

Post by lnevo »

Here's the function I just wrote up. My feeder is on order so I still have to modify it.

Code: Select all

void runFeeder() {
  static TimerClass afTimer;
  static time_t buttonPress;
  byte feederDelay=InternalMemory.read(Mem_B_FeederDelay);

if(InternalMemory.read(Mem_B_AutoFeed)) {
    InternalMemory.write(Mem_B_AutoFeed,false);
    FeedingModeStart();
    afTimer.SetInterval(feederDelay*60);
    afTimer.Start();
  }

if(afTimer.IsTriggered()) buttonPress=now();

// Turn on feeder for 5 seconds.
  if (now()-buttonPress<5) 
    ReefAngel.Relay.On(Feeder);
  else
    ReefAngel.Relay.Off(Feeder);
}
lnevo

Eheim autofeeder

Post by lnevo »

If anyone sees any issues with that function as written, let me know :)
Piper

Post by Piper »

Lee - Which method are you going to use to modify the feeder? There are a couple of different links at the beginning of this thread and I found another method somewhere else, I'll have to see if I can track down that link, that seemed a little easier for those of us that are not all that well versed in electronics like myself to follow.

I'd like to automate my feeder but I need the mod part to be *real* simple so I can follow it. And preferably with lots of pictures :)

~Charlie
lnevo

Eheim autofeeder

Post by lnevo »

I'm not concerned about batteries and don't want another power cord. I don't have an IO module so what I'm going to do is get the 5v dc micro relay from radio shack and connect it to one of those usb power jacks like you get with an iPhone. They are 5v also. They sell em at 7-11 now for a few bucks. I'm going to get a long enough usb cable and put a mono audio jack on it and put a mono port on the feeder. At least thats my plan. I figure this way I don't need any resistors capacitors or anything else...i hope :)
Piper

Post by Piper »

Interesting. Can you post a couple of pics when you get done? I have the IO module and I was planning on using one of those ports to trigger the manual push button on the feeder. If I remember correctly I just need to tap into the button solder joints on the PCB. I need to go back and look closer at the directions I found for that to be sure though. There might be some other parts/pieces I need to get to make that work.

~Charlie
lnevo

Eheim autofeeder

Post by lnevo »

Im basically doing what Jon did without replacing the batteries you just need to connect the relay to the push button leads and the relay to your io module or ato port. All my ports are taken so ill drive the relay with the outlet power :)

I'll post pics of the build when i get everything together.
lnevo

Eheim autofeeder

Post by lnevo »

Theres some good pics here of the process also.

http://wamas.org/forums/blog/13/entry-4 ... ontroller/

The circuit he uses though has a resistor and capacitor since the inferior apex controller only makes it easy to turn the port on for at least a minute I guess...

Since we have more fjne grained control i think i'll be fine with just the relay wired in. Anyone with electronics info that thinks Im going to kill something please let me know. :)
jsclownfish

Post by jsclownfish »

Yep. BTW, I just used this bit of code to remotely trigger my feeder. It is really cool to send a quick signal to the feeder and then watch all the fish come up to feed on my webcam. ;)

Code: Select all

if ( InternalMemory.read(VacationPulseFeed) == 1 ) // feeder trigger
	{
          Feed = 1;   // Turn on feeder and feedmode
          ReefAngel.Timer[FEEDING_TIMER].SetInterval(InternalMemory.read(FastFeed));  //shorter feed time for autofeeder			
          ReefAngel.FeedingModeStart();
          ReefAngel.Timer[FEEDING_TIMER].SetInterval(InternalMemory.FeedingTimer_read());   //reset normal feed time
          InternalMemory.write(VacationPulseFeed,0);          //reset pulse to 0 for a pulse effect
	} 
         else Feed = 0;
-Jon
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Where do you do your "action" to push the button over the IO channel?
jsclownfish

Post by jsclownfish »

I just send a byte over I2C to the IO and it triggers the relay for the feeder. I have inputs to the IO for the buzzer and feeder and outputs for the flow sensors, floats, and light sensors.

Let me know if you want me to post the code (I'm not at my PC at the moment).

-Jon