raspberrypi expansion module

Request new hardware or ideas for the controller

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:24 pm
How about a raspberry pi expansion module?

Hardware wise it should be really easy and inexpensive to produce. All you would need to do is to is order the part and stick it in a plastic box with a RA logo on it. Then it could attach to the head unit with the USB TTL Converter cable.

Software should be just as easy. The arduino api software can be installed on the pi as easy as "sudo apt-get install arduino"

As far as uses, I can see it being very useful:

• Hard Wired Ethernet
  • Data Logger
  • Web cam
  • Full featured LAMP Web Server
  • Load custom code onto the Reef Angel without having to run a long wire over to desktop/laptop. ( plug thumb drive with code into the pi (or you could send the code to the pi via Eithernet), and it could automatically load the code onto the Reef Angel )

And I'm sure a lot, lot more. All for likely less than the cost of the existing wifi attachment.

Yes, this all of this should be easy enough to be a DIY project, but I'm sure that an official Reef Angel PI would end up a lot nicer.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:28 pm
Can you get the pi code for all this? ;)
Or at least some of it?
I like the idea, but not very familiar with the pi coding.
Roberto.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:32 pm
The PI runs a full Debian Linux OS. Complete with desktop GUI if you want. You can program it in just about any programming language imaginable.

The existing existing linux version of the RA software should run on it without modification. I'm not sure if that is customized for RA or not. If it is not, it is even easier than that, the Arduino API can be installed with a single command. "sudo apt-get install arduino"
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:17 pm
Would it be able to use wifi from the wifi module or it would replace? I would love it...i could ssh in and recompile my code remotely!!! Arduino programming from my ipad...ill need to learn the arduino cli :)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:19 pm
Would be easy enough to have a web form to submit code and have it compiled automatically...:) love the idea...just dont want to run ethernet :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:26 pm
lnevo wrote:Would it be able to use wifi from the wifi module or it would replace? I would love it...i could ssh in and recompile my code remotely!!! Arduino programming from my ipad...ill need to learn the arduino cli :)

I suspect it would take some effort to get the RA wifi module to forward traffic to the PI. But you could use a USB wifi dongle plugged directly into the PI.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:52 pm
Does the PI have UART?
Roberto.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:05 pm
Some info about UART here: http://www.andremiller.net/content/rasp ... -gpio-uart

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:09 pm
rimai wrote:Does the PI have UART?

Yes

Here is a link with lots of info about the hardware. http://elinux.org/RPi_Hardware

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:19 pm
Cool.
Yes, it is possible then to use pi to act as wifi bridge for uploading code as well as send data to portal.
The wifi attachment is nothing more than a TCP to UART bridge.
If one can use Java and implement the code for the bridge, it would work.
So, who wants to try? :)
Roberto.
Next

Return to Requests