More temperature probes!

Request new hardware or ideas for the controller
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:12 am
It seems as though no matter how complicated your reef angel setup, there's an upper limit on the number of temperature probes you can monitor, since only the head unit includes ports for attaching temperature probes.

Please consider adding support for more temp probes. For example, you could include a temp probe port on the pH or ORP or salinity expansion modules (similar to what Neptune does with their probe expansion hardware). Alternatively, you could release a stand-alone temp probe expansion, which would hopefully be fairly cheap, given the simplicity.

Areas where it's helpful to monitor temperature:

temperature of water in display tank
temperature of water in refugium
temperature of water in additional connected/nearby tanks (QT, hospital)
temperature of air in enclosed canopy
temperature of air in enclosed stand
temperature of heat sink in DIY LED build
etc. etc.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:14 am
The topic has been discussed a few times. You can splice in more temp probes and I believe theres an installation out there the has quite a few. I know its not so plug and play but maybe it would be easy to just create a y cable that would let you plug in more much easier than splicing...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:29 am
I searched the forum, and have seen posts indicating that it is possible to mod the head unit to support more probes, but am unclear as to how. As I understand it, the temperature probe is a thermistor, and I can't imagine how you could arrange multiple resistors on the same port while still being able to separately monitor their resistance. Any further clarity you can shed on this issue would be much appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:32 am
It's currently software limited to 3 probes. It's not a hardware limitation.
The hardware limitation is easy to overcome.
More probes can be added to the bus, which is capable of reading a whole bunch. Simply by splicing it or creating a simple breakout board that would do the split for you.
I'll put something together for the breakout and change the libs to be able to be initialized with more probes.
The probes are not thermistors. They are digital temperature sensors with unique serial ID.
So you can address every single one of them in the same bus.
The chip used is DS18B20.
Roberto.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:22 am
rimai wrote:Simply by splicing it or creating a simple breakout board that would do the split for you.
I'll put something together for the breakout and change the libs to be able to be initialized with more probes.

So I can put something together on a Veroboard that will split out four or more additional probes and plug that into one of the existing connectors, correct? I know need to update the software too. I want one more probe for to monitor my W/C water so I might as well make room for a few more while I'm at it.

~Charlie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:31 am
Yes :)
Roberto.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:43 pm
Hi guys,
I have some spare DS18B20 temperature probes at home. The ones I have, have wires coloured Red/Black/Blue. The probe that came with RA was Red/Black/White. I wired the Blue to take the white wire place on a 3 pin connector.

But when I plug it in, the controller display blacks out and all the relay turns off. Any idea what's happening? How can I determine the right wire color?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:15 pm
Don't use the colors.
The pinout can be found in the eagle files, but if you are looking at the header pins pointing at you, they are:
left-> GND
middle-> Data
right-> +5VDC
Roberto.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:25 am
I would purchase a connector/expansion that would allow extra temp probes (6) if one was available. I would think others would too. You can never have too many temp probes!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:03 am
rimai wrote:Don't use the colors.
The pinout can be found in the eagle files, but if you are looking at the header pins pointing at you, they are:
left-> GND
middle-> Data
right-> +5VDC

Got it working. Thanks Roberto!
Next

Return to Requests