Chinese made LED diy

Request new hardware or ideas for the controller
Dctrojan

Re: Chinese made LED diy

Post by Dctrojan »

Okay I got a email back from the supplier:
" oh no, the 36v power supply is completely seperate, like a labtop battery. They plug into the dimmers that we have that are 5v-36v dimmers and then those plug into the light. The power supplies we have are not dimmable power supplies but you could get some that are. Basically it just needs to be 36V going into this fixture... X 2 Because we have one power cord going in to the whites and one for the blues. "

So based off that the drivers are seperate. Therefore I should be able to get a driver from rapidleds?

Ill get some picture here now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Dctrojan

Post by Dctrojan »

Pic

Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1382564801213.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1382564801213.jpg (151.81 KiB) Viewed 6788 times
rimai

Post by rimai »

Looks like the same thing as ecoxotic.
Roberto.
Dctrojan

Post by Dctrojan »

Yup. So they may be dimmable if I get the right drivers then?

rimai

Post by rimai »

I've never opened up one of those fixtures before, so I can't guarantee...
Search for ecoxotic DIY driver and do your research, but it seems doable.
Roberto.
Dctrojan

Post by Dctrojan »

I talked to a representative at rapidleds and they seem to have a driver thats compatible and will possible work. Ill let everyone know how one goes.So could I splice the dimmer signal of two different drivers which control the same colors into the same port ?

rimai

Post by rimai »

Yeap :)
You can connect multiple drivers in the same port, but they will dim all together.
Roberto.
Dctrojan

Post by Dctrojan »

Awesome . Ive ordered the drivers (2 ) , just for the whites. Is the anyway you can take a look at the thread I posted about the code guru help?

Dctrojan

Post by Dctrojan »

Dang just realized I ordered pwm signal drivers and I have a analog controller. .

KRavEN

Post by KRavEN »

I'm going to work on mine soon. I think it can be dimmed with a simple opto isolator with the arduino 5v dimming on one side and the 12v dim supply voltage and dimming pin on the other side.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Yes, please let us know how it goes and how you connected everything together as this is most likely going to help someone else in the future.
Roberto.
Dctrojan

Post by Dctrojan »

Okay everyone the LED drivers I bought from rapidleds dim my LEDS! :) I hooked up everything this morning and It seems to be working great so far. All i had to do is cut the old 36V transformers from the line and i replaced it with the meanwell Drivers. I only bought 2 drivers to test before i committed to buying 4 of the drivers, I only hooked up the whites to the drivers. here's a link to the lights and drivers i used.

Ill post a picture and a video of the fixtures once I get the other drivers.

http://www.rapidled.com/mean-well-eln-6 ... le-driver/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarium-LED-Li ... 0915148718
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

Great to hear.
What size tank do you have?
I think you said you have 2 light modules.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Very cool. I like the dimensions on these...
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

What are the actual dimensions.
According to some spec I found on Alibaba.com 300x260x60mm which equals 11.811 x 10.2362 x 2.3622.

Does that sound about right?
I'm trying to see how many I would need for a 55 gallon tank. 48" long 12" Wide 21" Deep.

I'm thinking 2.

2 of these and 4 drivers is just over $400 including shipping on the drivers.

Not a bad price.
Dctrojan

Post by Dctrojan »

That is exactly what i have a 55 gallon and I have 2 fixtures. they seem to grow everything I have: and are pretty powerful atleast in my noobie opinion. I have to acclimate my corals at a certain depth for awhile before i can move them up in the tank.
Im adding a actinic strip from rapid leds as soon as I replenish some funds. I want a more 2:1 ratio of B:W

My tank has been running with these lights for 8 weeks approx and my open brain has atleast doubled in size since then, however I do spot feed once a week.

Im by no means saying these lights will work for everyone, I took a noob chance and ordered the cheaper fixtures from ebay and so far they have worked fine, Im not sure what kinda longevity I will get out of these. They have no fans but the transformer/driver is outside the fixture so it doesnt contribute to the overall heat inside the canopy. I plan to add some fans to my canopy soon to help keep the fixture cool. Im sure if you have a open top the LEDS shouldnt need a fan or two.
Sacohen wrote:What are the actual dimensions.
According to some spec I found on Alibaba.com 300x260x60mm which equals 11.811 x 10.2362 x 2.3622.

Does that sound about right?
I'm trying to see how many I would need for a 55 gallon tank. 48" long 12" Wide 21" Deep.

I'm thinking 2.

2 of these and 4 drivers is just over $400 including shipping on the drivers.

Not a bad price.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

Yeah. Right now I have no canopy and just 1/4" mesh screen over the tank.

I have to build up some funds. I just spent a bunch on a Jebao DC 6000 pump and a RO/DI unit.

I've looked at lots of options and short of a DIY setup this is the least expensive I can come up with that meets my needs.

As far as longevity, I took a chance on the Jebao WP-40 and 25 so I'm willing to gamble a bit.

If you have a standard 55 there is a bar in the middle of it, so I guess you have 1 fixture on each side.
Dctrojan

Post by Dctrojan »

Sacohen wrote:Yeah. Right now I have no canopy and just 1/4" mesh screen over the tank.

I have to build up some funds. I just spent a bunch on a Jebao DC 6000 pump and a RO/DI unit.

I've looked at lots of options and short of a DIY setup this is the least expensive I can come up with that meets my needs.

As far as longevity, I took a chance on the Jebao WP-40 and 25 so I'm willing to gamble a bit.

If you have a standard 55 there is a bar in the middle of it, so I guess you have 1 fixture on each side.
Yes exactly I have one on each side. the Jebao wp-40 Is definitely my next upgrade.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

Thanks. There have been some reported problems with the Jebao pumps, but they are few.
I've had not problems with my 40 and 25. I hope my DC-6000 is just as good.

There is a group buy on Reef2Reef for the Jebao.
The last day to order and pay is Nov 1.

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/richmon ... p-buy.html
Dctrojan

Post by Dctrojan »

Dang those jebao are super cool. Thanks for the heads up . Im not a member of the forum so ill have to register and possible jump in on the group buy.

Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

No Problem. Like to pass on the info.
Dctrojan

Post by Dctrojan »

Sacohen wrote:Thanks. There have been some reported problems with the Jebao pumps, but they are few.
I've had not problems with my 40 and 25. I hope my DC-6000 is just as good.

There is a group buy on Reef2Reef for the Jebao.
The last day to order and pay is Nov 1.

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/richmon ... p-buy.html
What size are you using in your 55 gallon jebao?

Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

I'm using a WP-40 and 25 controlled by the Reef Angel in Anti-Sync.
There is custom code in my INO that lnevo created for paultruner911 and helped me incorporate into my code to randomly change the mode of the DC pump every day or on reboot of the controller.
Dctrojan

Post by Dctrojan »

Ive got 2 other circulation pumps a small 500 and a 700 gph. I would have way too much current. I think I may get the bigger one and try it out. What do you mean DC pump? Is that the return pump?

Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

The DCPump class is code that was set up to handle any of the pumps like the Jebao that run off DC power instead of 110V AC power.

It applies to the return pumps or the WP pumps.

I just saw that you got in on the Group Buy on Reef2Reef and got a WP-40 and a DC6000.
Congratulations.
Dctrojan

Post by Dctrojan »

Sure did. I swear , this is a addiction . Now all ive got to get is the two other drivers and ill be set. Sounds like we will be running a similar setup maybe, maybe we can help each other with the codes

Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

Sure. Not a problem. I keep my code updated in the PDE/INO section & there is a link in ny sig.

Sent from my HTC One VX using Tapatalk
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

Dctrojan; I just wanted to see how you are liking the light still?

The only thing I noticed about them when I looked at them on Ebay is there is no reds, pretty much just blue, whit and a little green.
KRavEN

Post by KRavEN »

So I did more testing Sunday with the other header on the power supply with 12v, gnd, and dim but had no success getting it to do anything via pwm. I traced out some things on the driver board and there are some un-populated components along the path so I believe this is why it won't work. I'm going to just use an i2c dual channel digital potentiometer to do the dimming.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Can you explain this option? Do you have a part already that does this or is this something that needs to be built?