Wifi Direct

Request new hardware or ideas for the controller
Toolboy

Wifi Direct

Post by Toolboy »

HI

Not sure if this is possible. But can the wifi unit connect to a phone using wifi direct like android uses?

Reason for me asking is cause when we loose power (happens way to often here in SA) I loose ability to control the tank cause obviously the internet also goes down aswell. My RA is connected to my ups but I need to then climb in behind the sump to get to the plug bar to unplug the heaters and skimmer so that I can have enough battery power in-case of long power outages, not favourite thing at 1am. Batteries only last 3 hours if I don't unplug. And we get at least 2 outage a month of 8hours.
Sacohen

Re: Wifi Direct

Post by Sacohen »

I'm not sure about the answer to your question, but what you can do is write some code that when you lose power the RA will turn off the items you don't want on, like the heater and skimmer or lights.

lnevo has code for this in his PDE in this post...

http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2328
rimai

Re: Wifi Direct

Post by rimai »

Although you can do adhoc on the wifi attachment, it requires you to connect the wifi attachment in the USB-TTL cable and make some changes on the settings when you loose power and then restore back to wifi settings when power gets back.
Not sure if it is really worth it.
You should also put a ups on your router. This way, you would still be able to communicate the same way by using the internal ip address.
Roberto.