New Head Unit....

Request new hardware or ideas for the controller
jt41time

New Head Unit....

Post by jt41time »

I think a nice display would be nice. An output display. just visual. No controll. A scrolling display of your numbers. One wire, nice lookng box. Backlit. One thing that is making not want to buy this controller is the display.(the only thing)
I plan on ditching my RKL, or saving it for a dif project for this thing. I like the abiblty to do almost anything.
a.ash

Re: New Head Unit....

Post by a.ash »

I have been thinking about this as well. How much would you be willing to pay for a 3 or 4 in display? Would you pay more for touchscreen?
jt41time

Post by jt41time »

I think a touch screen is a lil much. I just want a nice lil display without alot of wires sticking out of it.
alexwbush

Post by alexwbush »

I think just an auxilary display would be great. One that's simple and clean. I could then hide the main controller.
wolfador

Post by wolfador »

you could setup an iPod touch as an external display and just leave the app running. You can find used ones pretty cheap.
John
ReefAngel and ReefAngel-HD developer
If the RA iOS app has helped please consider a donation
a.ash

Post by a.ash »

I'll the question again. How much would you be willing to pay for a 3 or 4 inch display? I have been thinking about developing one and wonder if it would sell. This also assumes I would not be taking away from anything Roberto has planned.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Well, I do have something in the works but nothing even close to production yet.
I'd love to see what you come up with, if you do decide to move forward with your plans.
I've made a 1st rev. prototype and started working on creating the libraries, but I halted the project because I've been devoted to creating a new portal interface that I'm sure everyone is going to like :)
There are some minor revisions I need to do, but this is my very first prototype:

Roberto.
Sebyte

Post by Sebyte »

wolfador wrote:you could setup an iPod touch as an external display and just leave the app running. You can find used ones pretty cheap.
How would you start to make an iPAD interface. Where can I find info on how to retrieve data from the RA via wifly?

Could Keynote for iPad be used to build an interface?
wolfador

Post by wolfador »

keynote could be used, the RA just outputs an xml page. go to the /r99 page of your controller and you will see it there. All you need is something to parse the XML.
John
ReefAngel and ReefAngel-HD developer
If the RA iOS app has helped please consider a donation
Deckoz2302

Post by Deckoz2302 »

Wow. I was just about to pm you rimai about putting an order together for me and seeing if you still had salinity modules...after seeing this prototype I think I may wait....lol when can I buy your prototype :P and I see by your pic you have orp now to....when you gonna make a calcium & alk/kh module :P
dhave

Post by dhave »

I would like a secondary display just for stauts-check (no touchscreen or control). The standard one is too small and has to many wire...
rimai

Post by rimai »

Even if you want to wait, you would still need to purchase the base RA. It will not work without the base unit.
It is going to be offered as an expansion module, but I have no dates to be released yet.
Roberto.
rimai

Post by rimai »

dhave wrote:I would like a secondary display just for stauts-check (no touchscreen or control). The standard one is too small and has to many wire...
You could use the iPhone or Android app :)
They are awesome for that purpose. I rarely look at my head unit screen anymore. Thanks Curt (binder), John (wolfador) and Dave (dmolton)!!!
Roberto.
Deckoz2302

Post by Deckoz2302 »

Didn't realize it was gnna be an expansion
gs33

Post by gs33 »

any news on this ??
rimai

Post by rimai »

This will most likely be something to be beta tested mid next year if everything goes well with prototyping.
Roberto.
Spotted

Post by Spotted »

So, just a question. It's mid next year already!! Um... Do ya need beta testers?
:roll:
rimai

Post by rimai »

Sorry man.
I didn't have time to progress with this project.
Roberto.
DrewPalmer04

Post by DrewPalmer04 »

Do you have anything saved from when you were in prototype testing? Parts list? Anything? I would love to mess with this idea.
Out for now...but not over.

VISIT: Ethernet Module/Wifi Alternative
eds

Post by eds »

I thought Id ask in this thread rather than start another. Is this going to become a reality or has it been shelved in the too hard basket? Id love a 5" Touchscreen display on the front of my tank and I notice people are starting to get it going on home made solutions here

http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 9&t=244697
rimai

Post by rimai »

I stopped the development of this unit :(
You can most certainly use any Arduino shield and connect to RA to use it as a remote display though.
Roberto.
eds

Post by eds »

Thats a bummer, it would have been really good to have touch buttons to control the expansion relays.

Sadly, I dont really have the knowledge to set forth on my own to make this myself, otherwise I would be there.
Any hints or howtos would be awesome :D
jsclownfish

Post by jsclownfish »

Has anyone looked at these?

http://www.gizmag.com/arduinolcd-arduin ... een/24381/

I'm thinking of getting one to try with the RA. It would be nice to have a quick touchscreen for toggling the relays manually amongst other things.

Jon
rimai

Post by rimai »

Very cool.
Thanks for sharing :)
I did test one of the EarthLCD in the past and they performed ok.
I'm sure this one is much easier to integrate as it has the Arduino board form factor.
Roberto.
jsclownfish

Post by jsclownfish »

I ordered one today. I'll post updates when it arrives.  :ugeek:

Jon
DrewPalmer04

Post by DrewPalmer04 »

Please do!
Out for now...but not over.

VISIT: Ethernet Module/Wifi Alternative
neuro

Post by neuro »

How difficult would it be for someone with no arduino experience to get this unit working?
I'm planning to eventually (not sure when) pick up an arduino starter kit to see how it all works.

I do have some college level education in computer science/programming.
jsclownfish

Post by jsclownfish »

Hi all,

Just a quick note to give you an update on this LCD touchscreen unit. I received it about a week ago and I am still trying to make some progress on the basics of the system. :( It is a little clunky in using the predesigned macros for things like buttons and slide bars. I wanted to test it out by simply making an on/off set of buttons for the relays. I'm still trying to get that to work. :geek: I tested about 6 sample programs and I can no longer get a program to upload. The tech service folks have been responsive, but not able to solve this issue. I was told they are taking a lot of calls on this unit, so it may still need some fine tuning before it is really more robust. I'll follow-up again one I have some thing to show you.

-Jon
neuro

Post by neuro »

Jon,

There was a thread on reef central where they programmed their own UI. Though different LCD touchscreen with different libraries I think.

How easy was it to get it hooked up to the RA board?

Thanks for the update.
jsclownfish

Post by jsclownfish »

The communication should be straight forward over I2C. I already have my old RA set up as a secondary monitor,
http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=923, I just thought this would be more fun an interactive. In theory the attached arduino board and macros associated with this LCD should work nicely. The system just isn't very robust how they have them working together (Arduino code and EarthSEMPL macros). It's a new product though so I kind of expected a few issues.

-Jon