Leak Sensor\Water Detector

Request new hardware or ideas for the controller
Neogenesis

Leak Sensor\Water Detector

Post by Neogenesis »

I was wondering if you ever though about adding a feature like this? The leaky bulkhead I found the other night would have done a lot less damage if I would have found it right away. Thought it might be a idea to throw out there and see if there was any interest? Preferably a module that would support 2 to 4 probes would be ideal.

Thoughts?
tkeracer619

Re: Leak Sensor\Water Detector

Post by tkeracer619 »

Link was disabled by the request of the website owner. He did not want us to link to his website.

Should be able to be used in place of one of the float switches. Will require a 12v wall wart. Will be testing this out soon. Will let you know how it goes. You should be able to wire as many as you want in parallel.

I have a bunch of these set up around the tank currently. It never hurts to have a bunch of them. I also have one under every sink and by the ro. Saved my butt a bunch of times.
http://www.amazon.com/Leak-Frog-LF001-W ... B000WMSTUO
chase

Post by chase »

tkeracer619 wrote:http://www.homesecuritystore.com/p-1049 ... ensor.aspx

Should be able to be used in place of one of the float switches. Will require a 12v wall wart. Will be testing this out soon. Will let you know how it goes. You should be able to wire as many as you want in parallel.
Really interested to see how this goes. It would be really cool to have a device like this supported by the RA. Good luck!
jsclownfish

Post by jsclownfish »

Anybody have any luck with this in practice? This thread came to mind last night as I was cleaning up water off the floor from a loose connector. :( I think some of the other sensors would have recognized the problem eventually, but not as quick as a leak sensor would have.

Does anyone have a leak sensor hooked up to the RA?

Thanks,
Jon
00Warpig00

Post by 00Warpig00 »

Not Yet but the one at the home security store should interface fine with the RA. Wall wart to power it and the relay leads to ground and an IO port on an IO Expansion module. Add a piezo sounder to an unused analog port on the RA and add some code in the RA to sound the buzzer if the short on the IO port goes away. Should be all it takes. As for that sensor, I'd like to know how good/sensitive of a sensor it is. But it should be no problem to make it work provided the sensor isn't junk and/or is sensitive enough.

Nick
180G FOWLR
20GH QT#1
29G QT#2

surff

Post by surff »

Yes, I use a Honeywell RWD41. Google "Honeywell RWD41" for full information.

You can purchase additional sensor cable extensions for a total of 250 feet.

My sump is placed on a tray that the sensor cable lays in. Any water turns ON an alarm and turns OFF the circulation pump.

Works off a 9 volt battery.

I attached a couple of leads to the input pins of the built in alarm to drive a relay. When the relay is energized, Reef Angel "sees" the closure and turns off the circulation pump relay.

Hope this helps

Surff
jsclownfish

Post by jsclownfish »

Thanks for the reply, it is helpful. Sounds like the Home Security version might be a little easier as it doesn't require another relay. Does the alarm still function after you modified yours to the relay line or is it now disconnected? Also what relay did you use?

Thanks,
Jon
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

The Honeywell looks like a decent product, shouldn't take much to interface to the RA. I like the fact it can detect along the length of the sensor wire.
-=Bryan=-
Soehl

Post by Soehl »

I really want to set this up too. I am new to this though.... So new I am setting up my 180 this weekend and will take the Reef Angel out of the box shortly after. lol When I get it all hooked up how would I add this leak detector to my Angel?
surff

Post by surff »

I was not satisfied with the HoneyWell RWD41. The lack of line power with a battery backup was the deal breaker. The alarm (a solid state screamer) just was not loud enough.

I took the unit apart to see if there was an easy way to modify the alarm output and figured is was not worth it. I did however, manage to locate the manufacturer of the device. They pointed me to another model that fills my requirements.

From the vendors web site:

"The WaterTell Leak Detection Alarm and cable detects leaks beyond a single spot, up to 50 feet.
Water anywhere along the cable triggers the alarm.
Additionally, this unit can be connected to an automatic water shutoff valve (sold separately) that allows for the ultimate in home leak protection. When a leak is detected, the WaterTell Leak Detection Alarm signals the automatic shutoff valve (via the output relay) to close, preventing additional water leakage.
The output relay is rated for 3 amps at 30VDC/250VAC max.
Unit Includes:
• WaterTell alarm controller with an 80dB alarm and relay output
• 120V AC power supply (optional 9V alkaline battery backup, (battery not included)
• 6ft. non-sensing leader cable
• 4ft. leak detection cable
• 5 adhesive cable clips
• Double-sided wall mount tape strip

http://www.essentialmonitoring.com/wate ... actor.html

I purchased the unit and it works as advertised. The wall wart has three power adapters for 115 VAC, a three pin 220 VAC and a 2 pin 220 VAC.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

That looks great. How does that connect with the RA? Can you connect the relay output to the IO module? I'd like to be able to shut down and send an alert if a leak is detected...
jsclownfish

Post by jsclownfish »

Great, I just got my Home Security units, but that could be a lot better.  I like the 'rope' type better than the small detectors.

Jon
dazza1304

Post by dazza1304 »

"I took the unit apart to see if there was an easy way to modify the alarm output and figured is was not worth it. I did however, manage to locate the manufacturer of the device. They pointed me to another model that fills my requirements."

Hi, I would like to know who the manufacturer is of the honeywell RWD41 is!

I had a look at the watertell link, but seems watertell.com doesn't exist?
surff

Post by surff »

if you click this link, it will take you directly to the vendors web page for the Watertell unit.

http://www.essentialmonitoring.com/wate ... actor.html

Both the Honeywell and the WaterTell unit uses the same PCB.

The Honeywell unit does not have the relay and external power supply components that the WaterTell does. The form factor is the same.

The source for both these units is RLE Technologies. You cannot purchase these units from them....
800-518-1519
sales@rletech.com
support@rletech.com
dazza1304

Post by dazza1304 »

Thanks for that surf!