hard wired ethernet port

Request new hardware or ideas for the controller
gros21

hard wired ethernet port

Post by gros21 »

instead of a $100 WIFI module a cheap ethernet break out would be great.
gs33

Re: hard wired ethernet port

Post by gs33 »

this would be great
-safer for kids , without wireless
-safer connection
-probably cheaper
rimai

Post by rimai »

In our case, it would end up being even more expensive and that's why it wasn't further developed.
Roberto.
Paul Viscovich

Post by Paul Viscovich »

rimai wrote:In our case, it would end up being even more expensive and that's why it wasn't further developed.

Is it the interface from ttl to what ever the network card would require or the driver lic. just wondering because this would simplify things in a multi controller enviroment like Jess's shop.. a simple network could be run and each of the devices could then be home run to a switch and each address could then be monitored..

Unless there is a simpler way to do this.. like the the old serial networks.. maybe a serial network twisted pair and then a decoder to put it all on the single network and each controller could be addressed..

Duno but it just seems costly to network the 4 or 5 controllers in the shop..

Thoughts.. (im just thinking out loud)
http://forum.reefangel.com/status/banner_3.aspx?id=Paul Viscovich&t=-7

14 Gallon Bio Cube with INTANK filtration Thanks Diablo Corals
rimai

Post by rimai »

I'm pretty sure you could come up with the module base code, what do you think??
There is a ready made option that would cost way more.
The solution that would make it somewhat sense is using an arduino ethernet board with a special code that does the same thing as the wifi attachment.
All you need to do is basically convert TCP into serial.
Pretty basic, actually.
That would take care of incoming data.
The outgoing data is a little trickier. You need to forward all serial data to www.reefangel.com. So basically a serial to TCP, but to a specific TCP port and specific ip address.
Are you up for it? :)
Roberto.
Paul Viscovich

Post by Paul Viscovich »

Im thinking.. Im almost finnished with my other project and then will play around. The wifi is a nice way to handle singles but as you add the complecity of 2 3 5 controllers the wheels start turning..

I will play with the idea a bit i have a nice test bed at the shop so if it works :)

I will review the code.. maybe able to gleen something from it.. the trick is making it plug and play
http://forum.reefangel.com/status/banner_3.aspx?id=Paul Viscovich&t=-7

14 Gallon Bio Cube with INTANK filtration Thanks Diablo Corals
gaberosenfield

Post by gaberosenfield »

Just wanted to voice my support for this! I have absolutely no skills that would be of use for its development, but if it makes internet connectivity significantly cheaper I would definitely buy it. I would really like having internet connectivity at a lower price, so if wired connectivity will end up costing less (like a $30 addition instead of the $100 wifi module) that would be awesome! Before I bought my reef angel one of the first things I asked was whether there was a way to use an ethernet cable to wire the controller into a router or modem. Obviously I bought the RA anyway, but this would be great!
bigHUN

Post by bigHUN »

Years back tried the WiFi and several months trial and errors decided to go back to wires. I completely wired the whole house years ago, and have static IPs for everything movable....hm....my coffee machine may be a last piece I see around what could be a nice project.
I agree WiFi is a fancy thing but once we got to mess with larger number of appliances, the reboot-restarts makes you tired. I vote for hardwire...
topjimmy

Post by topjimmy »

There are Ethernet boards out there. They seem to be much cheaper than the wifi ones. How hard would they be to add on? I'm no Arduino programmer, but I am a Sys Admin. I can not see how a hard wired module could ever be more that a wireless one. There are rj-45 boards available for < $50. Am I missing something?
rimai

Post by rimai »

Well, if you consider DIY the board, certainly not and you are more than welcome to do that.
I'm pretty sure you can get it much cheaper indeed with some effort in putting it together.
This is the device I was looking at a couple years back: http://www.lantronix.com/device-network ... xport.html
When you add initial setup, pcb board manufacture, enclosure and assembly, it racks up to a whole lot more than $50 that you are refering to.
The boards you are refering to may be the Arduino boards that would need custom firmware. I think nowadays, the development is at a stage where these boards could be used.
A couple years back, there was no DHCP client implementation on the Ethernet libraries, which would make it very hard to get it going as a commercial product.
For that reason, I chose a commercial solution that was already stable in the market and would offer us the same capability.
With all the capital already invested to bring the wifi attacment to reality and the allocated time for R&D, there are other modules that have priority on my list. Salinty and ORP are modules that are much higher in my priority than a Ethernet attachment for example.
But this doesn't mean that one couldn't come up with their own solution. That's the beauty of open source. :)
Roberto.
topjimmy

Post by topjimmy »

I see your point. I did not consider an enclosure, or non off the shelf type of units. You are probably just about breaking even by doing a hard wired DIY port vs the available WIFI one. Especially if you consider the time and effort put into getting it to work with the controller.