Hardware or software?

Request new hardware or ideas for the controller
Kungpaoshizi

Hardware or software?

Post by Kungpaoshizi »

I'm not sure if this would be easiest as a hardware module or software..
I love my RA, waaaay nicer than the Apex for it's allowable degree of customization.
Though no matter the unit, eventual failure is guaranteed.

So my proposal is:
Some way to identify a relay failure, whether it's stuck on, or stuck off.

My worry is eventual failure from being stuck on after activation, thus one of my dosers will dump it's container into the tank.

Perhaps Bluetooth enabled power monitors? That plug into the relay, and then the device plugs into that? I'm betting it could be done for 20-30$? Hmmm...
Just had the thought, can't really think of any software tangent now that wouldn't depend on a hardware change.

This would definitely be a step above the rest. A controller that senses failures!
Kungpaoshizi

Re: Hardware or software?

Post by Kungpaoshizi »

Here's from a quick search, at least it's an example of something similar, of course much more advanced than what would be needed.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/14/inse ... ity-meter/

I guess in hindsight, the module would be powered on at all times, and then if the relay is stuck on, the module could turn power off.

Though this would present a problem for low-wattage devices if a TRIAC is used. (my dosers are 3 watts a piece)
So I wonder if a mechanical relay module could be made with Bluetooth communication to the relay unit?

Curse my elementary electrical skills! lol