RA cam

Request new hardware or ideas for the controller
jsclownfish

Re: RA cam

Post by jsclownfish »

sorry, I haven't figured out the 'feed' process yet. I just use the weblink and apps from D-link to monitor it. It's a little clunky (probably my home internet speed). I'd like to set it up as a feed independent from that system at some point.

-Jon
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

jsclownfish wrote:sorry, I haven't figured out the 'feed' process yet. I just use the weblink and apps from D-link to monitor it. It's a little clunky (probably my home internet speed). I'd like to set it up as a feed independent from that system at some point.

-Jon
You need to do a port forwarding to your webcam and then you can access the page directly from your external ip and whatever port you setup.
jsclownfish

Post by jsclownfish »

Here is a snapshot from my camera if you're interested. The container on the other side of the tank was a "hospital" to seperate out a big Rhodactis that was either dividing or dying and I didn't want to lose it in the rockwork.

The great thing about the suction cup arm is that I can move it around the tank to focus on different corals and such without building another mount. I really don't have a good place to mount a panning camera in front of the tank.

-Jon
tankpic.JPG
tankpic.JPG (74.08 KiB) Viewed 10863 times
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Beautiful. Love the yellow tang peeking from below :) We really need to find a good wide angle for this cam :)
jsclownfish

Post by jsclownfish »

Thanks, I'll check the port forward. I think it is set-up, but just blocked at my work firewall.

Ever since I put this on the tank, I've been wanting to code in a trigger for the autofeeder so I can get all the fish to come to the camera when I want to see them. :D

Alex,
How did you get your feed to show up on your forum post?
-Jon
alexwbush

Post by alexwbush »

I'm pretty sure it depends on your webcam, but to post a live feed, I used:

Code: Select all

http://wolfpack06.no-ip.org:1984/videostream.cgi?user=user&pwd=password
So I have my no-ip setup in there to link back to the camera and user/password for a guest account. You can't control the camera :)

When doing port forwarding, I highly recommend using a port other than 80 since that's the most frequently blocked.
jsclownfish

Post by jsclownfish »

Have you seen those plexiglass boxes/containers the fish stores use so you can look at corals overhead without the ripples in the water? I was thinking about trying to mount my camera over one of those so that it wasn't so "ugly" on the side of the tank. It would be a smaller view, but the camera in theory would be enclosed in the hood.

-Jon
alexwbush

Post by alexwbush »

I think those would work great short term. But what if the power cord gets to the water? I just need to wait for HD IP cams to drop in price and raise in quality.
lnevo

RA cam

Post by lnevo »

jsclownfish wrote:I just set something similar up and I really like it...
camera.JPG
Here's the mount I used....

http://www.buy.com/prod/large-window-va ... 75716.html

-Jon
Just ordered one of these mounts and this fish eye lens... Let's see what it can do!

http://gorillagadgets.com/cellphone-fis ... html?sl=EN
rimai

Post by rimai »

Does anyone know how to place a component to a webpage to watch your stream?
Is it camera specific?
Roberto.
binder

Post by binder »

rimai wrote:Does anyone know how to place a component to a webpage to watch your stream?
Is it camera specific?
It probably is camera specific. On my IP camera, you have to grab the stream by looking at the pages it generates. That's how dave displays my ip camera on my network inside his Client Suite.
I created a test page that just embedded the default /wifi page and my camera stream. It worked pretty good for me.
lnevo

RA cam

Post by lnevo »

Mine either you need the app, java, or active-x. The last two are in an html and finally if none of the above, i can url to a live static image. But i'm sure each has it's own. The best strategy for support would be to give a url to embed and whatever works for each camera can be used.
lnevo

RA cam

Post by lnevo »

Here's the pics with/without the fisheye lens.

Before:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353550562.820361.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353550562.820361.jpg (60.94 KiB) Viewed 10919 times
After:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353550578.175511.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353550578.175511.jpg (56.26 KiB) Viewed 10919 times
I'm using the mount that jsclownfish posted and the lens was $20. It really makes a huge difference. One thing though...the lens comes with a magnetic ring with adhesive to hold the lens to the camera. The weight of the lens was causing the ring to shift, so I ended up using some frag glue to secure it to the camera.
jsclownfish

Post by jsclownfish »

Thanks for the update on the lens. That's pretty cool. I'll have to give it a try.
-Jon
rimai

Post by rimai »

Yeah, that's really sweet!!!
I'm gonna try it too :)
Thanks for sharing!!!
Roberto.
Redadeath

Post by Redadeath »

i have easy n camera and i usually ask to choose activex - java -or app and to sed as default

what king of os does the client suite use
when it comes to programming i "always need help "
binder

Post by binder »

Redadeath wrote:i have easy n camera and i usually ask to choose activex - java -or app and to sed as default

what king of os does the client suite use
the client suite is written for windows.
rossbryant1956

Post by rossbryant1956 »

the dlink allows you to just call the outside IP address and the port you previously setup forwarding on (like we did with 2000 for the RA.) Try hitting mine at 69.250.225.122:3462

if it asks for a id and password use "guest" and "fishtanks"

LMK if this works

I am still working with the X10 cameras to get them up from a browser
Roscoe's Reefs - Starting Over Again:

Building new 29g Nano after landlord went berserk over my 4 75 gallon tanks, Multiple RA's, Water mixing stations, etc. Your help welcomed in remembering all I've forgotten.
lnevo

RA cam

Post by lnevo »

Its working...but it didn't prompt for authentication....
sherman

Post by sherman »

lnevo wrote:http://www.easte.net:8080

Username is fishcam / No password
I sign in. Only show black screen. Why? Is it the cam is off
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Night time :)
Ron Starc

Post by Ron Starc »

IP Camera Viewer for the pc is a excellent free software to view your IP and USB cameras. The interface is intuitive and it works well with every model of IP & USB camera.