ReefAngel git repository?

Related to the development libraries, released by Curt Binder
jpalmer

ReefAngel git repository?

Post by jpalmer »

Hello,

I've found github.com/reefangel, but commits to most of those repos are older than the latest library release.

Where is the official git repo for the libraries? I'd like to clone it, and develop against it.
rimai

Re: ReefAngel git repository?

Post by rimai »

Roberto.
rimai

Post by rimai »

You have to ask Curt, he's the man for this versioning thing... :ugeek:
My fork is here: https://github.com/reefangel/ReefAngel-1
I don't know how you would see both his and mine all together.
I think you need to add both remotes and fetch from both to see what is been changed on both branches.
I only work on my dev branch.
Roberto.
binder

Post by binder »

If you're going to do any testing & development against the libraries, I would fork my ReefAngel repository.

I use the master branch as the main branch that is "live". That contains the latest release code and usually doesn't contain any changes on it until a new release is made (indicated by a new tag).

The dev branch is the one that I do all my development and testing on/against. I may have other branches that I work on but those are not always pushed to my repository. If Roberto has changes that he's made and wants me to test / check / merge, I pull his changes into my dev branch by using the following command:

Code: Select all

git pull http://github.com/reefangel/ReefAngel-1/ dev
Once I've confirmed the changes / updates / made any minor modifications / etc, I usually push those changes to my dev branch on github.

When I do a release, I merge my dev branch into my master branch and create a tag and push the changes to my master branch on github.

Side note, when you clone the repository and try to compile sketches against the libraries, you will most likely get errors about missing libraries. These libraries are not included in my repository (I'm really considering adding them but just haven't):
  • DS1307RTC
  • OneWire
  • Time
So you will need to copy those libraries from your main Documents/arduino/libraries folder into your cloned repository folder.

If you make changes or updates and you'd like them merged, I would suggest you work with the latest copy of my dev branch and then either send me a pull request on github or send me a PM or email telling me to grab the latest on your copy.
jpalmer

Post by jpalmer »

A couple questions:

#1) Since you both are the primary developers, why aren't you both just working from the same repo in topical branches? Seems like that'd be a lot easier, and others who want to contribute would have 1 authoritative source to use as a common base for diffs. This would also allow you to use some really nice features of git, like cherry-pick and such.

#2) I haven't looked at the Arduino repo you mentioned, but you might be able to use git sub-modules to include them, without going so far as duplicating their codebase.

#3) Do you have a bugzilla or similar issue/feature request tracking utility? If so, where is it located so I can report issues, or contribute patches/suggestions

#4) How do you prefer to receive patches? Fork your github repo, make changes, commit until happy, and then send you a pull request? or something else?
binder

Post by binder »

#1) Since you both are the primary developers, why aren't you both just working from the same repo in topical branches? Seems like that'd be a lot easier, and others who want to contribute would have 1 authoritative source to use as a common base for diffs. This would also allow you to use some really nice features of git, like cherry-pick and such.
It would be easier but in order for multiple developers to work out of one main repository (and use github) you have to upgrade to a paid account (at least that's how I thought it was but I could be mistaken). I haven't bothered to do that nor has Roberto. Also, I originally just forked Roberto's repository and kept my own going for my testing purposes. I added and updated so much that my development branch became popular and more people continued to use it and kept maintaining it. We just haven't taken that next step farther and not sure if we will or not.
#2) I haven't looked at the Arduino repo you mentioned, but you might be able to use git sub-modules to include them, without going so far as duplicating their codebase.
Those libraries are community contributed and readily found on arduino's website. It's currently not a problem since they are included in the installer and most people aren't modifying the code base. It is something that could be looked into in the future but to be honest, I haven't explored git fully and looked at what all it can do. I just use the bare minimums with it.
#3) Do you have a bugzilla or similar issue/feature request tracking utility? If so, where is it located so I can report issues, or contribute patches/suggestions.
No bugzilla or feature request tracking. I have attempted to do something on the forum and have people request things. People often request a feature on the forum. I also try to maintain a TODO list on my computer but that's been about it. Most people that use the controller have minimal coding experience (most but not all) so if they have a problem they usually post it to the forum asking for help and somebody tries to duplicate it and solve the problem.
You can report issues and features through the issues section on my repository. I think you should be able to open issues that way.
#4) How do you prefer to receive patches? Fork your github repo, make changes, commit until happy, and then send you a pull request? or something else?
The fork, modify, commit, send pull request or email for me to pull works. Or if you wish to email me a patch to apply that also works. I'm pretty flexible and open in regards to that.
binder

Post by binder »

Upon further investigation, #1 seems like it is doable now. I'm going to look into it more and discuss some things with Roberto and see what we can come up with in regards to that. Thanks for the suggestion. :)
jpalmer

Post by jpalmer »

github is free for opensource projects. So, might be worth looking into :)

jira is also free for open source projects, and allows you to use their 'OnDemand' instance. Which means, you don't even have to host it. Some of the huge benefits are: issue and feature tracking, search (people can see if something has already been reported), visibility for other people to see what you guys are wanting to do (and possibly even contribute code/patches to accomplish it, and things like that. Personally, I hate the idea of each developer having a seperate TODO list. If it's public, we can all work on it. Much better than individual silos of ideas and plans. http://www.atlassian.com/software/views ... se-request

I'd be happy to help you guys with either, or both github/jira (github also has a issue/feature tracking piece, but I've never really used it)
jpalmer

Post by jpalmer »

Doh,

You posted while I was typing. Ignore the parts that are no longer relevant! haha
binder

Post by binder »

Great. Honestly, it's primarily been Roberto and I working on the development. For a while it was mainly me, then once we started using my version as the main libraries, then he has started adding more and more. I've been following up on it and helping look over the code to ensure it works, etc. I've had my TODO list (which is rather empty as far as the libraries go) that I've attempted to keep public to have ideas of what all I'm working on but I'm not the best at this.

That would be great for more help and assistance. The more contributors and ideas we have, the better this project will become. And I'll get more time to work on my Android Status app and RAGen. :)
rimai

Post by rimai »

All good stuff.
I think you can help us a lot!!!
To start, what is cherry-pick?
Which one do you think is the best fit for us?
I like the idea of everyone on same repository. How do we get that done?
I'll look over the jira software. Is it complicated? I can barely get my head around github :(
Roberto.
binder

Post by binder »

rimai wrote: I like the idea of everyone on same repository. How do we get that done?
I'll look over the jira software. Is it complicated? I can barely get my head around github :(
I'm going to send you an email directly about what I think we need to do for this.
phrusher

Post by phrusher »

So what did you come up with? Is https://github.com/reefangel/Libraries the current repo if anyone wants to submit patches? Maybe you should write a "How to contribute" with some pointers and the prefered ways to work with this and make it a sticky? :)
jpalmer

Post by jpalmer »

I guess we should have followed up here.

Yes, that is the official git repo.

As for contributing:
https://github.com/reefangel/Libraries/ ... ntributing

Hope that helps!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
phrusher

Post by phrusher »

That wasn't the first place I would look for instructions so thanks for the link :)

Now I just need to get my head around git... Have been planning to try it out for some time but now I finally have an excuse to go ahead!