Programming via ISP

Related to the development libraries, released by Curt Binder
Bryan

Programming via ISP

Post by Bryan »

Hi Roberto:

Back into playing around with the ReefAngel. Setting up a planted tank so figure this would be perfect. Have upgraded to the latest Arduino and ReefAngel files, but have encountered a problem. Am I correct in assuming that when using the Reef Angel wizard and selecting Storage Settings in code the initial internalmemory.hex is not required. Programmed the wizard sketch to use this option and the LCD displays No internal memory".

For some reason I can not program both the sketches without getting a verify error from the programmer. Can only upoad 1 or the other sketches. Uploaded the latest bootloader (Optiboot), but still no luck. Wonder if this could be a ISP programming thing, perhaps missing a setting somewhere. Used the fuse settings in the board.txt for the Reef Controller with Optiboot.

Cheers
-=Bryan=-
rimai

Re: Programming via ISP

Post by rimai »

Cool :)
Which programmer are you using?
Dragon right?
If you get "No Internal Memory", you need to load at least once the InitialInternalMemory.
File->Sketchbook->Example Codes->InitialInternalMemory
Or you need to load the Wizard memory code at least once.
Roberto.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Hi Roberto :D

Yes, using the Dragon. Strange issue though. I can upload either the InitialInternalMemory or any other example sketch but not both. The second sketch will always fail with a verify fail from Dragon.

Verifying Flash...Failed! address=0x0002 expected=0x99 actual=0x01

Never had this issue last year with the old old libraries. think I will have to get myself a USB to TTLl cable.
-=Bryan=-
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

p.s. Have you seen this.

http://www.jayconsystems.com/tutorial/atmerpt1/

Managed to get the proverbial Arduino blink sketch to work with the Atmel 6.0 environment. Will try a RA sketch this weekend.

Haven't tried this one yet, but seem of a more complete solution.

http://omarfrancisco.com/arduino-progra ... tudio-6-0/
-=Bryan=-
rimai

Post by rimai »

Hey Bryan,

Can you try replacing the avrduded that you are using??
Could be it.
I have not tested it for programming with any programmers. It's a special RA compilation :)
I bumped my version to 6.0, but should've given another version. I'm sure they will catch up and eventually get to 6.0 too and will be confusing to figure out which one is which.
Look for avrdude 5.11 version and replace both avrdude.exe and avrdude.conf
Roberto.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Hmm, does Avrdude have anything to do with compiling the sketches. I am just taking the compiled *.hex files from the RA Arduino program and burning using the Dragon?
-=Bryan=-
rimai

Post by rimai »

Aren't you using avrdude to burn with dragon? Or dragon uses it's own burning utility?
Roberto.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Using Atmel Studio 6.0 with Dragon to burn. Searched the directory and there does not appear to be avrdude.exe included so perhaps it uses it's own utility. Tried Version 4 which did work last year and same issue, can only burn 1 sketch (hex), but not both. Must be something with the new RA, or a bad chip. Did try a older version of AVRdude (5.1), same issue.
-=Bryan=-
rimai

Post by rimai »

There was nothing changed except the avrdude, that I can think of.
When you say the second .hex fails, what do you mean?
Are you trying to upload them in a batch??
Does it mean that you can't upload nothing right now?
Roberto.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

I program the InitialInternalMemory.hex file and it flashes and verifies fine and the sLCD screen verifies internal memory.... then i will program say the controllertest.hex file and it will flash, but verify will fail with the error. The LCD screen is black and it appears nothing is running

Verifying Flash...Failed! address=0x0002 expected=0x99 actual=0x01

If I reverse the program same thing, controllertest.hex flashes and verifies fine, the LCD screen shows Internal memory required...so i program the InitialInternalMemory.hex and it will flash but fail verification.
-=Bryan=-
rimai

Post by rimai »

I'm still not following.
What do you do to upload again??
Are you disconnecting it?
How can you program controllertest.hex if it was failing before?
You've gotta be doing something that I didn't quite grasp yet :(
Roberto.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Copy the InitialInternalMemory.hex and controllertext.hex created from RA/Arduino files to a directory

Using Atme Stuido 4 or 6 and the dragon programmer

Erase device

Flash InitialInternalMemory.hex. Fflashes and verifies fine. LCD screen shows Internal memory loaded...
Flash the controller test.hex and it flashes but fails verification,screen is black

#$&*swear

Erase device
Flash controllertest.hex. and it flashes fine and lcd screen shows "Internal memory required.
Flash InitialInternalMemory.hex Flashes but fails verification. LCD screen is black

$#*swear again <g>
-=Bryan=-
rimai

Post by rimai »

Oh ok... You erase the chip, now I got it :)
I'm not used to AVR Studio.
Everytime I burn with avrdude, the chip gets erased by default automatically, but then again, I only burn bootloaders :)
Roberto.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Will try a blank 328P, perhaps the one on the board has been damaged somehow.
-=Bryan=-
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

It's a stumper, tried a breadboard with a blank 328P and programming by ISP from Atmel Studio, exact same issue. I did manage to find a sketch from about a year ago and it flashed fine on the RA board using ISP. Seems to be something with the newer Arduino 1.0.1. Will have to pick up a USB to TTL cord and program from the RA Arduino.
-=Bryan=-
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Managed to find a bit of a work around, copy the setup code of the internalmemory sketch into another sketch. It will flash and verify and work,
-=Bryan=-
fatman

Post by fatman »

Now that is weird.