PC Logging

Related to the development libraries, released by Curt Binder
rimai

Re: PC Logging

Post by rimai »

Yes, the wifi will work on 57600 and since the Client uses the same wifi coding, it would use 57600 too.
On wifi mode, the Client will open tcp and immediatelly closes it. On serial mode, it keeps it open.
Make sure the listener service is running on the client dashboard and it is configured to use serial mode.
Roberto.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Hi Roberto:

When you refer to configure serial, do you mean from ReefClient Service Dashboard Wifi NOT selected. I have Port 16 open at 56700, as well as "Listener" and "Logger" service running.. As you can see from thr pic I can open up Putty at anytime on Port 16 56700,8,N,1, and some data comes through every minute or so. Seems the listener is not "listening" otherwise the port would not be available for Putty?

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (64.92 KiB) Viewed 8350 times
-=Bryan=-
rimai

Post by rimai »

What do you have on "COM Port" under menu "Settings->Modify" and tab "General"?
Roberto.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Com 16...
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (55.56 KiB) Viewed 8349 times
-=Bryan=-
rimai

Post by rimai »

Hahah.. I know now.
It's 57600 not 56700 :)
Roberto.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

No go, I have changed around with it so many times I must have typed it in wrong on the last go, changed to 57600, but still not working. Still can't explain why putty will open up when reef Client is open, the port should be locked. Strange. Wonder if it is my max232 setup is part of the problem. Think I best try a pic USART project to see if it can communicate correctly with putty at 57600. Perhaps the data is garbled and the controller doesn't recognize the sequence.
-=Bryan=-
rimai

Post by rimai »

Load this to the controller and open putty at 57600. Can you see anything?

Code: Select all

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(57600);
}
void loop()
{
  Serial.println("I'm here");
  delay(1000);
} 
Roberto.
dmolton

Post by dmolton »

Bryan, it might be a timing issue.

If the Listener cannot open the serial port COM16 on 57600 right away, an internal timer will start for 30 seconds and then it will try again. It will repeat that process until it can lock the serial port and begin communicating.

In addition to that, when you make core changes to the listener settings, it will restart the service in order to actually apply them. It takes a bit to do that and you should probably see some red text at the bottom status bar of the Client saying "Unable to connect. Retrying in 2:00". After two minutes the Client will reconnect and begin displaying data.

I'm attaching a copy of the newest version of the "ReefAngel Serial Reader" application that comes bundled with the client suite installation. The older version that you have still relies on the controller to send out updates every 15 seconds which it no longer does. This new version uses the same Serial Port logic that the RA Listener uses to connect and send/receive data. So if this works for you, the Listener should also be doing its thing correctly.

To start with, just update your com port and baud rate and press the Open Serial Port button. It should say "Opened... Now Listening". If it does, just press the send button and see if you get a response similar to the one below. Make sure teraterm or putty is closed first and also stop the Listener Service from the dashboard.

Attachments
ReefAngelSerialReader.zip
(27.57 KiB) Downloaded 559 times
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Success!!!.

Problem was twofold. I was getting the red text at the bottom, but while the listener was waiting to connect and turn green I would open Putty. This obviously locked the port for Reef Client so it could not receive anything from the listener. The garbage data on Putty was due to a cap on the MAX232 circuit not being fully seated. The SerialReader app worked like a charm, very helpful.

Picture speaks a thousand words. Thanks everyone, much appreciated.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (102.79 KiB) Viewed 8345 times
-=Bryan=-
dmolton

Post by dmolton »

Glad you got it working, Bryan.

Hate to do it to ya, but it might be a good time now to uninstall that version and have a go at my latest version that I just committed a few minutes ago. Looks like you're using celsius so the latest version might be a bit better for you. Have a look over here http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=175
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Haha, yes just saw that. Keep them coming...
-=Bryan=-