libraries update? help, installation hosed!

Related to the development libraries, released by Curt Binder
billybob

libraries update? help, installation hosed!

Post by billybob »

Hi Roberto et al.,

last night I tried to change a couple of parameters in my working reefangel code, and found that, not only was I unable to upload my updated sketch, but that in the process of trying I managed to hose my reefangel. I need some help, quickly..

In short, I got an error message on my reef angel to the effect of 'No internal memory found' (I apologize for not getting the error message exactly right; I'm at work now and am just going from what I can recall). I tried uploading some old default internal memory file, but to no avail. Evidently I updated the libraries at some point between my last working sketch and last night's attempted code update, and there have been some changes in the way the memory is configured (e.g. the IMcheck_write value discussed in viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1739).

I tried downloading and reinstalling the latest (v1.01) reef angel installer for windows. The installation appeared to go cleanly, but something is missing... When I open the Arduino programing environment, I don't see (for example) any entries for the Reef Angel Wizard under the 'tools' menu, and don't find any codes under the 'File | Examples' or 'File | Sketchbook' menus. When I try to compile my old sketches, I get errors like "Documents\Arduino\update\feature.txt (The system cannot find the path specified)".

I had run into errors like this in the distant past, and I think my solution was to run the Libraries Update Utility, which put a bunch of files into my Documents\Arduino\libraries" directory. At present, there is no such directory in my new installation. I can no longer find or download the Update Utility on any of the reef angel web pages.

At this point my aquarium is dead, and I'm afraid my fish are soon to follow. What am I doing wrong? I gather that the libraries and the web pages have undergone some significant changes recently, and I don't find any relevant solutions in the forums. Where are the libraries update utilities, or what can I do to get my system back?

--many thanks,
scot
billybob

Re: libraries update? help, installation hosed!

Post by billybob »

...as my fish begin another day of lurking in the dark, it occurs to me that it would have been really useful to have a means of 'rolling back' updates to the library, especially when those updates can substantially change (or break) the functionality of existing sketches.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Yes, downloading and reinstalling the RA Installer would bring everything current, but you must rename the folder "Documents/Arduino/libraries" prior to installing it to make sure you get a clean install.
This version of Arduino will also bring an auto-check and will download the updates when they become available to avoid this update issue you are having now.
So, to get it going again, make sure you rename the folder and install the RA Installer once again.
That will place all the files you need in the correct place.
Then, open the InitialInternalMemory and upload it to pass the "No Internal Memory Found" check.
You can now upload your sketch.
Yes, this check was place to force everyone updating libraries to reinitialize the memory, since there was a table relocation recently.
Roberto.
billybob

Post by billybob »

Hi Roberto--

thanks for the note. I had tried multiple reinstalls of the RA software, including with renamed 'libraries' directories, but was mystified that the Installer was not including any of the latest library files in the new installation. It turns out that the RA installer was installing everything just fine... but to my administrator's account (I am running Win7 under an unprivileged account, and enter a password when I want to do something requiring administrator privs). When I realized this and copied the newly-installed 'Documents\Arduino' directory from the administrator to the regular user 'Documents' directory, everything with the development environment appears to work fine from the user account.

I don't remember having this problem in my old installation. Perhaps something has changed with the installer? At any rate, things seem to be fine now. thanks for your help.

--scot

ps: I still think a rollback function would be useful with regard to future changes in the library. $0.02.