Android Reef Angel Status

Community contributed apps
Sacohen

Re: Android Reef Angel Status

Post by Sacohen »

Like I said., no big deal.
I just wanted to make sure it didn't happen to the non beta testers.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Curt, it has everything I wanted in it. Custom Vars, memory locations, 16 channel dimming, DC Pump, labels for dimming module and other ports, limiting the probes shown (T2, T3, etc). I appreciate the Material Design as well. Looks really nice even on my new phablet (LG G4) with Android 5.1.
binder

Post by binder »

AlanM wrote:Curt, it has everything I wanted in it. Custom Vars, memory locations, 16 channel dimming, DC Pump, labels for dimming module and other ports, limiting the probes shown (T2, T3, etc). I appreciate the Material Design as well. Looks really nice even on my new phablet (LG G4) with Android 5.1.
awesome!

Sent from my iPad mini
joshlawless

Post by joshlawless »

From a comment Roberto made in another thread, I thought it might be possible to update / change the custom variables from the Android app. Is this true? I can't figure out how. I've got them displaying in the app, and can change their labels, but since I don't see them in the list of memory locations (and I don't know their memory address), I don't see how to write a value to them. Can you enlighten me?

To clarify, I'm running the app (v2.0.0 from the Play store) on Androidx86 in a Virtual Machine on my iMac (since I don't have an android tablet). I'm stuck with mouse and keyboard input, but can seemingly interact with the application just fine. But I saw the post you made at http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?p=47242#p47242 and I can't figure out how to get that window to come up with the ability to change settings.
binder

Post by binder »

joshlawless wrote:From a comment Roberto made in another thread, I thought it might be possible to update / change the custom variables from the Android app. Is this true? I can't figure out how. I've got them displaying in the app, and can change their labels, but since I don't see them in the list of memory locations (and I don't know their memory address), I don't see how to write a value to them. Can you enlighten me?
on the custom variables page, you need to long press on the value of the variable. that will bring up the dialog box to allow for editing.

Sent from my iPad mini
joshlawless

Post by joshlawless »

binder wrote: on the custom variables page, you need to long press on the value of the variable. that will bring up the dialog box to allow for editing.

Sent from my iPad mini
Thanks! That worked.

FYI, for anyone that wants access to Curt's awesome app, but who doesn't have an Android device, you can install a copy of Androidx86 (for free) from Google (https://code.google.com/p/android-x86/downloads/list) in a Virtualbox (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads) instance of Linux by following the directions here: http://www.howtogeek.com/164570/how-to- ... irtualbox/

Once that's all done, you can use the emulator to run Android, install Reef Angel Status, and connect via your LAN to the controller.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

joshlawless wrote:
binder wrote: on the custom variables page, you need to long press on the value of the variable. that will bring up the dialog box to allow for editing.

Sent from my iPad mini
Thanks! That worked.

FYI, for anyone that wants access to Curt's awesome app, but who doesn't have an Android device, you can install a copy of Androidx86 (for free) from Google (https://code.google.com/p/android-x86/downloads/list) in a Virtualbox (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads) instance of Linux by following the directions here: http://www.howtogeek.com/164570/how-to- ... irtualbox/

Once that's all done, you can use the emulator to run Android, install Reef Angel Status, and connect via your LAN to the controller.
Neat, that's a good tip.
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

Hey Curt,

I get an Error 24: XMLReadException when trying to get the time from the controller.

--Colin
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

I don't get anything at all.
No errors or response with the time.
binder

Post by binder »

yeah, i get that error too when I get the time. setting the time works just fine though.
I think I know what it is related to but have not confirmed it.

Sent from my Moto X
bkc6868

Post by bkc6868 »

Is there a way to add part readings to it
binder

Post by binder »

bkc6868 wrote:Is there a way to add part readings to it
part readings? I'm not familiar with that.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

PAR from Robert's PAR sensor I'd assume.
binder

Post by binder »

lnevo wrote:PAR from Robert's PAR sensor I'd assume.
that is what I thought as well but I wanted to be certain.

If it is referencing the PAR sensor, then that is not currently implemented in the app.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
slm222

Post by slm222 »

Will this app be updated to work with the new cloud attachment?
binder

Post by binder »

slm222 wrote:Will this app be updated to work with the new cloud attachment?
Possibly. I do not currently know how the new cloud attachment works, so I cannot say for certain. (I have not kept up on the discussion of it.)

binder

Post by binder »

Well, after 2 years of "inactivity", I finally put out another release of my app. It doesn't have lots of the requests from people. It primarily is updated to use the newer support libraries, which should hopefully fix some of the random connection issues. I personally have noticed that it fixes my issues with being unable to read the date and time from the controller.

I also added in some of the initial support for the RA*. You now have the second AP and DP channels available. It still displays the main/primary relay box, which is unused with the star. This should be hidden in future releases. It also does not use the new MQTT protocol. It still gets the data the standard way.

I am going to be gradually working on updating more in my spare time. It's just a slow process now for me.

Enjoy.

rimai

Post by rimai »

cool
thanks!!!
Roberto.
lucho

Post by lucho »

Curt, thanks for this! One question. I am having trouble downloading the labels. Not sure what is happening. Anything I can do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
binder

Post by binder »

lucho wrote:Curt, thanks for this! One question. I am having trouble downloading the labels. Not sure what is happening. Anything I can do?

it pulls the labels from the portal. so if the labels are not in the portal, it cannot get them. there could be a problem with your communication with the portal. try it on a different network if possible (use cellular instead of wifi).

lucho

Post by lucho »

Couldn’t make it work. Tried in 2 tablets, and tried using my phone’s internet connection. Interestingly when I change my portal ID to something fictitious I get the message that labels were downloaded. When I go back to my username it doesn’t say anything.

binder

Post by binder »

lucho wrote:Couldn’t make it work. Tried in 2 tablets, and tried using my phone’s internet connection. Interestingly when I change my portal ID to something fictitious I get the message that labels were downloaded. When I go back to my username it doesn’t say anything.

hmmmm... interesting.
let me look into this some and see if I can find anything out. I'll post back in a few days once I have a chance to test it out. thanks for your patience.

rimai

Post by rimai »

Looking at your labels, I don't see anything out of the ordinary, but just as a test, can you change all the N/A for something like NA or na or something else?
I don't know if those slashes are causing any problems with the XML parsing inside the app.
Roberto.
lucho

Post by lucho »

Will try that Roberto, although it works well with the U App in my iPhone, it downloads well there

binder

Post by binder »

I haven't had a chance to look at it yet but there could be a problem with the forward slashes and XML parsing.

lucho

Post by lucho »

Unfortunately that didn’t work. Changed the four N/A for TBD but still nothing in the app

rimai

Post by rimai »

Ok, so try removing the dots and parenthesis. I don't know if those affect it either.
Make it so it is alphanumeric only. No weird characters.
I don't know if this is the problem, but it is worth a try and easy to do.
Roberto.
binder

Post by binder »

rimai wrote:Ok, so try removing the dots and parenthesis. I don't know if those affect it either.
Make it so it is alphanumeric only. No weird characters.
I don't know if this is the problem, but it is worth a try and easy to do.
I think I figured out the problem. I have a hard coded max number of temp sensors at 3. Since there can be labels up to 6 temp sensors, that causes the problem. The downloading and processing fails when it encounters the temp sensor above 3.

So, what I have to do now is fix the code to allow for those labels to be processed and ignore them until I get the additional 3 temp sensors incorporated into the app.
binder

Post by binder »

I just pushed a release of my app. Here's a highlight of the updates
  • Changed the way the Back button operates - You must press the Back button 2 times to exit the app. It no longer navigates backwards through the screens. This was a source of problems by the changing of the screens.
  • Improved XML processing of labels and values - This fixes the label downloading from the portal.
  • Added initial graphing/chart support (Date range does not work currently) - Displays a graph of the parameters. It will display all the values of the given parameter no matter what the date range is selected.
  • Added ability to export the raw history sqlite3 database (exports to logging folder) - This is needed to help me filter out and parse the dates properly for the graphing support. Most users will not use this at all. However, some may find it cool to be able to get the SQLite3 database for viewing and such. This will not import into Excel, as it will not be a CSV file. This is the raw database file.
  • Ability to override the limit for storing pH 7 and 10 calibration values. You need to attempt to write the value that is above the 1024 limit. Once you get the message about it not being allowed, you need to press the Write button again within 10 seconds and the value will be able to be saved provided it is less than the maximum value of 32767.
I'm slowly working on adding features and functionality. I'm continuing to work on getting the graphing/chart support working for a given date range and improving the values displayed on the chart. It's a slow process for me, but bear with me on it.
I'm ultimately wanting to get multiple RA support added in and revamp the UI. Patience, patience. :)

Let me know if you encounter any problems with the release.
lucho

Post by lucho »

Thanks Curt! That solved the problem with the labels. Awesome stuff!