RAGen trouble

Community contributed apps
Joost de Vries

RAGen trouble

Post by Joost de Vries »

Hi all,
Recently received a reef angel controller from Roberto and quite excited to be a part of this community!
I'm having some trouble with the RAGen software though. The full version installs fine but once I open it up it gives this error:
  • Problem Event Name: BEX
    Application Name: RAGen.exe
    Application Version: 1.0.4.92
    Application Timestamp: 4d82956a
    Fault Module Name: MSVCR80.dll
    Fault Module Version: 8.0.50727.4940
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4ca2b271
    Exception Offset: 00014458
    Exception Code: c000000d
    Exception Data: 00000000
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: d60a
    Additional Information 2: d60afb967b6e777280646d0770fcba50
    Additional Information 3: 9a8f
    Additional Information 4: 9a8f4c8b195f44e293684c23ae2023f6
The static version does open up but when I try to generate the code it gives the error: "Unable to generate PDE file: an unkown error occured"
Running windows 7, Visual Studio C++ is all up to date.Running it as
administrator doesn't change a thing. Anybody know what's going on or how to resolve the problem?
Thanks
binder

Re: RAGen trouble

Post by binder »

There have been some issues with people running it on their computers. I can't give any detailed examples but the ones that I'm aware of were able to use the static versions to get it to run. We never did figure out what was causing the problems either.

I will say that if you use the installer, you will not need to install the VC++ runtime libraries because they get copied over automatically with the installer.

I've tested the app on Win7 64bit, Vista 32bit, XP Pro 32bit, XP Home 32bit.

curt
binder

Post by binder »

This will probably sounds like a stupid question but do you have any language other than English enabled by default? I haven't tested it with using an alternate language so I don't know if that makes a difference or not. It doesn't appear that you do based on the error message but I wanted to ask to be certain.

Can you check what your Sketch folder is set to and verify that you have write capabilities to that folder. That error appears to be occurring when RAGen attempts to create the file in the Sketch Folder. It has to create a folder inside the Sketch Folder first and then it creates the PDE file inside that folder. If you cannot write to that folder or create a directory in that folder then an error is thrown and the PDE is not generated.

Let me know what you find out.

curt
Joost de Vries

Post by Joost de Vries »

Hi Curt,
Thanks for the help. I changed the folder and it actually works now. I could also be since I had the standard libraries installed but under preferences the development libraries were selected.
binder

Post by binder »

Joost de Vries wrote:Hi Curt,
Thanks for the help. I changed the folder and it actually works now. I could also be since I had the standard libraries installed but under preferences the development libraries were selected.
Cool. Glad it's working for you now. I'm open to any and all suggestions that you may have for it. I've got a list of stuff for improvements with a future version (but that is still a ways off).

The difference in library versions won't make a difference when it comes to generating the PDE file. You would notice a difference when you tried to upload the code because it would fail miserably and give you all sorts of errors in the arduino output window.

curt
Joost de Vries

Post by Joost de Vries »

I reinstalled everything and the full version is working now too. However, every time I open up RAGen it resets even if I press "save settings" when prompted. I'd like to use the "Dosing Repeat Setup" but marking it doesn't do anything, I tried restarting it to see if it would take effect but as noted earlier it resets everything. Also it appears that it can't find arduino even though it is installed on my computer.
Lastly, I uploaded the .pde file generated by RAGen but now the only thing the LCD displays is the settings I selected. No current temp, pH, or socket activity. Is it suppose to do that?
binder

Post by binder »

Joost de Vries wrote:I reinstalled everything and the full version is working now too. However, every time I open up RAGen it resets even if I press "save settings" when prompted. I'd like to use the "Dosing Repeat Setup" but marking it doesn't do anything, I tried restarting it to see if it would take effect but as noted earlier it resets everything. Also it appears that it can't find arduino even though it is installed on my computer.
Lastly, I uploaded the .pde file generated by RAGen but now the only thing the LCD displays is the settings I selected. No current temp, pH, or socket activity. Is it suppose to do that?
To restore the saved values, you have to goto the Edit menu and choose Reset and then select Saved Values. By default, it starts you off with the standard default values. If you want to restore the values, you must "reset" them to what you saved them as. I know it's not the most ideal way to handle it, but that's how it is right now. I'm working on ways to improve this but have not finished it.

For Dosing Repeat Setup, you have to manually edit the PDE file to have it use the Dosing Repeat Interval. The "best" way to enable this is to have it checked under the Features tab, then select the Dosing Pump on the PDE tab and lastly, once the PDE has been generated edit the DosingPump1 (or 2) to be DosingPumpRepeat1 (or 2).
Again, it's not the most ideal way to handle it but that's how it is.

The reason for this is because all of these features were added in at a relatively fast pace and I have not had an opportunity to add them into RAGen. RAGen needs to be redesigned to handle the expanding features easier and the current layout/design is flawed and requires a lot of additional work to continue to add and expand it. Which is why it's getting redesigned.

The last thing you mentioned is, unfortunately, a result of confusion (that I created with RAGen). The last tab which has the Internal Memory will generate the Internal Memory PDE file to be uploaded to the controller with the settings/values that you have chosen. This just sets the values and displays them on the screen until the code to run the controller is updated. To generate the code that runs the controller, you must be on the PDE tab when you click Generate. This will generate the appropriate PDE file to run the controller code.

Again, like I said earlier, design flaws with RAGen. RAGen actually is/was a combination of several smaller apps into one application. Once it was created, more stuff kept on being added to it for improved functionality but the design wasn't improved much yet. I will be fixing all of these design flaws and making it much more "user friendly".

As for finding Arduino, it does a limited search for it. This is the logic it employs for looking for arduino:
1. Check for any saved locations in the registry for RAGen.
2. Check for Program Files\Reef Angel Controller
3. Check for My Documents\Arduino
If there is a saved location, it uses that. If it has to check in Program Files or My Documents, it tries to find the arduino.exe file. If it does not find it, then it sets the arduino directory to be the current directory.

It's pretty simplistic and "should" work most of the time if you install in the default directory. If you do not, then it will most likely not find it.

This should answer and explain your questions/problems you are having.

curt
Joost de Vries

Post by Joost de Vries »

Alright, the only error left is this error when uploading the code:
C:\Users\Eva\Documents\Arduino\libraries\ReefAngel\ReefAngel.cpp: In member function 'void ReefAngelClass::PCLogging()':
C:\Users\Eva\Documents\Arduino\libraries\ReefAngel\ReefAngel.cpp:1090: error: 'PWM' was not declared in this scope
Thanks a ton for all the help BTW!
binder

Post by binder »

Joost de Vries wrote:Alright, the only error left is this error when uploading the code:

Code: Select all

C:\Users\Eva\Documents\Arduino\libraries\ReefAngel\ReefAngel.cpp: In member function 'void ReefAngelClass::PCLogging()':
C:\Users\Eva\Documents\Arduino\libraries\ReefAngel\ReefAngel.cpp:1090: error: 'PWM' was not declared in this scope
Thanks a ton for all the help BTW!
sounds like you have disabled pwm in your code and found a bug on my part. when I added pwm sending with the XML code I forgot to put a check in there. you can enable pwm to fix it or comment out the pwm lines that give you the errors or wait for me to release 0.8.5.16 later tonight.

you are welcome for the help.

curt
Joost de Vries

Post by Joost de Vries »

Awesome,
Enabled the pwn and everything is working flawlessly now.
binder

Post by binder »

Joost de Vries wrote:Awesome,
Enabled the pwn and everything is working flawlessly now.
cool glad it works great for you. let me know if you have anymore questions or comments.

curt