Client Suite 2.1

Community contributed apps
astralmind

Re: Client Suite 2.1

Post by astralmind »

Thanks for all that info Dave. I've followed you recommendation closely and unfortunately, I am still running in the same issue. Clean uninstall and reinstall without the controller being connected (after all I just want to see if the Client Suite crashes or not at this point).

Client Suite crashes instantly ("ReefAngelClient as stopped working" blablabla)

DashBoard asks for admin rights and then crashes.

The other exe, Serial reader asks for admin rights and run properly without any issues.

I looked up the log file and it's empty.

According to Windows event viewer the Logger and Listener services started and stopped sucessfully many times. No traces of the dashboard crashing or the Client Suite itself. All fresh and clean installs. This is really odd.
dmolton

Post by dmolton »

astralmind wrote:Thanks for all that info Dave. I've followed you recommendation closely and unfortunately, I am still running in the same issue. Clean uninstall and reinstall without the controller being connected (after all I just want to see if the Client Suite crashes or not at this point).

Client Suite crashes instantly ("ReefAngelClient as stopped working" blablabla)

DashBoard asks for admin rights and then crashes.

The other exe, Serial reader asks for admin rights and run properly without any issues.

I looked up the log file and it's empty.

According to Windows event viewer the Logger and Listener services started and stopped sucessfully many times. No traces of the dashboard crashing or the Client Suite itself. All fresh and clean installs. This is really odd.
hmmm..

An empty event viewer and log file is pretty strange, also makes finding the problem that much harder. I'm sure you did but just throwing it out there, you looked in the "Application" section of the Event Viewer? Is there any other information that you are presented with when the Client crashes? What does the blah blah part say?

I have seen the immediate crash once or twice before in version 2.0 while testing. It was due to missing but required fields in the config files that I modified by hand and messed up. Both the Client and the Dash have one. After installing, did you move any files/folders around related the Client Suite? The installer should take care to make sure the config files are correct as of the installation.

Could you take a peek at the config files and make sure everything looks okay? Specifically the directory locations that are in there. They key names are "DBLocation" and "ServiceDashLocation" Make sure that they are pointing to files that actually exist in your installation. I would copy/paste the directory paths into an explorer window and remove the extra backlashes between folders and try to browse there. (You'll know what I mean when you see the file) There's no sensitive data in there, so if you could attach or email the config files for me I can have a look to make sure every is good and I'll also plop them in my installation and see what happens.

Client config:
C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\ReefAngel\Client\ReefAngelClient.exe.config

Service Dash Config:
C:\Program Files (x86)\ReefAngel\ReefAngel Client Suite\ServiceDash\Service Dashboard.exe.config

Also, please confirm your installation folder structure looks similar to this. Heres a screenshot showing all the files/directories that the client suite installs. This is to just ensure you have everything you need from the installer and its in the right place.
Last edited by dmolton on Wed May 11, 2011 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
astralmind

Post by astralmind »

Wow thanks for all the effort!

I just double checked my file structure and location, they are identical to what you just posted. Also checked the config files, all mapping towards the proper install location. I've attached both my config files (in rar the forum would not accept .config it seems).

The log is empty with a last modified date of March 27 so yeah definitly untouched.

As for the Event Viewer I managed to find the entry (was working remotely from work earlier on). Still, not very explicative to me (see bellow). The Windows error message was a generic one the "blablabla" part was just Windows will look for a solution to resolve your issue etc.. I'm also attaching the detailed log to this post (txt). Let me know if I'm doing something wrong on my end.

Thanks!

Fault bucket 1947214054, type 5
Event Name: CLR20r3
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: reefangelclient.exe
P2: 1.1.0.0
P3: 4d8fb902
P4: mscorlib
P5: 2.0.0.0
P6: 4d4f14f6
P7: c43
P8: 59
P9: System.FormatException
P10:

Attached files:
C:\Users\astralmind\AppData\Local\Temp\WER18EC.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
C:\Users\astralmind\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_reefangelclient._cde52edf3f155f3f354e33b7713404f42695c7a_045e3004

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 46093c87-7c16-11e0-b287-1c6f6593c603
Report Status: 0
Attachments
Windows Error REport.txt
LOG
(13.73 KiB) Downloaded 478 times
Service Dashboard.rar
(366 Bytes) Downloaded 465 times
ReefAngelClient.rar
(1.54 KiB) Downloaded 460 times
astralmind

Post by astralmind »

Not sure if it helps in anyways but the DashBoard generates a different error type:

Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: CLR20r3
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: service dashboard.exe
P2: 1.1.0.0
P3: 4d8fb8ff
P4: Service Dashboard
P5: 1.1.0.0
P6: 4d8fb8ff
P7: 27
P8: 16a
P9: System.NullReferenceException
P10:

So RA Client is a FormatException while DashBoard is a Null Reference Exception... Googled the errors and didn't find much except maybe this: http://runtingsproper.blogspot.com/2010 ... r20r3.html

Ha and FYI, Windows wouldn't let me install RAGen in its default location (some permission I assume which I found odd as it was looking at the usual PRogram Files).. so I installed it elsewhere.
dmolton

Post by dmolton »

yeah, everything looks good. Your config file worked fine for me if I put in my correct locations for those two keys. So if you're sure those two keys mentioned above are good, then the problem is somewhere else.

This part sticks out:

P9: System.FormatException

We saw this error with some of the international users whose culture information was set to French and Italian. The problem was the application didn't handle their decimal separators correctly. So 8.20 in the U.S. looks like 8,20 in France I believe. Is your computer configured for U.S. / English or do you have another culture set?

The only other thing I can think of is some crappy data got into the database file somehow. After loading up the configuration file, the application will pull all the historical data that's been stored so far and graph it for you. It also loads up some user defined information to use later in the Settings screen. (Profile information, relay names, etc..) It could be that you entered some information on one of the Settings screens when you had it running the first time, and the application allowed you to store something it should not have. Maybe special characters or something?

I'm attaching a fresh copy of the database file for you to try out. Stop both services again. Replace your version of the ReefLogDB.sdf file with the one I attached. Just rename your original to something different but make sure not to rename the new one. Then try launching the Client one more time. You don't need to start the services, you can just keep them off for now. If that works, I might ask you to send me your original renamed sdf file to have a look at to see where the problem occurred.

C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\ReefAngel\ReefLogDB.sdf

Let me know how that works out.
Attachments
ReefLogDB.zip
Fresh DB File
(8.21 KiB) Downloaded 454 times
astralmind

Post by astralmind »

Well! Just solved part of the issue. My regional settings were French Canadian, switched to English US and got Client Suite to Work!

Unfortunately, the dashboard still crashes when I try to run it (after the admin permission is granted). Replacing the DB did not change anything though.

I can get the services to start manually though.. so is the dashboard access essential ?

Getting there!
astralmind

Post by astralmind »

Sweet irony, I installed everything on my rather old Toshiba R100 (running windows XP) and... I have no issues running the Dashboard but ClientSuite immediately crashes, same as it did on my WIndows 7 desktop except this time the Regional settings were properly set to ENglish US..

Here's the error log for that one:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: ReefAngelLogger
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 5/11/2011
Time: 7:02:48 PM
User: N/A
Computer: TOSHIBA-35BDA03
Description:
Service cannot be started. System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.ServiceModel, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'System.ServiceModel, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'
at LoggerService.RALogger..ctor()
at LoggerService.ReefAngelLogger.OnStart(String[] args)
at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.ServiceQueuedMainCallback(Object state)

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
dmolton

Post by dmolton »

Yeah, after thinking about it more, I remembered you said you uninstalled/reinstalled so that would have given you a fresh db file to start with. Of course that was a few mins after I posted and realized it probably wouldn't help, but figured what the heck, couldn't hurt :)

Well, looks like I have a bit more work to do with the localization part of the application. Glad you got it semi-working. I'm a little surprised that French Canadian culture settings don't work. Even stranger, work once and then stop. After working with Xender and all the issues he went through getting it running in France (FR-fr), I thought I had worked out the formatting issues so that it would at least run no matter the regional settings :/ I'll change my settings here to French Canadian and see exactly what's going on and hopefully have a more permanent fix for you soon. You definitely shouldn't have to keep your regional settings changed. If we're lucky, the dashboard issue is related also.

Also, no the dashboard isn't essential. It's just a quick way to access those two individual services running in Windows. If you're cool with manually toggling them for the time being then you should be good. It also lets you change the IP/COM settings if you need to. Most of the time, though those settings very rarely change if ever.

As for the Toshiba, umm...I would say it's too far away from the equator or maybe SkyNet has control? haha not sure, sorry :oops:

edit^^ Maybe update .net framework on laptop to 3.5.. ?
astralmind

Post by astralmind »

haha not a big loss on the laptop just curious why it wouldn't work though. .Net is up to date on it :) Proper regional settings and good old Windows XP up to date too.. odd. Ha well, once I get the Wifi module I won't care about that laptop anyways. Thanks for help, much appreciated. I'll be following the dev closely... who knows, maybe the next release will magically cure the Dashboard glitch (altough I am in English US now.. and it still crashes).
dmolton

Post by dmolton »

ahh crap. I think I found the problem.

I uploaded the localized code to github ~6 weeks ago, but I didn't tag it, nor is the latest version a "package download". It was just kind of a "hot fix" committed to source only since the only thing that changed was a culture invariant way of reading numbers. Just a couple lines of code and I did a pretty poor job of French translations on the UI if it detects a French culture. I'm sure you'll notice my bad translations if you install it with Windows set to French. :)

Anyway, so the only way to get it is to download the "source" as a zip. You can't rely on the tags or the package that says "Beta 2.1".. Whoops ><

here's the link to the direct download of the source installer that you need for localized setup outside the U.S. I just tested it with my Win 7 x64 set to French Canadian and everything worked fine, even the service dash. The other version did not, giving me the same errors you saw.

Again, please stop both services manually. Fully exit the client (File -> Exit) and then uninstall the Suite. Promptly, and with a sense of authority and conviction, put the installer you d/l earlier in the Recycle Bin and give this one a shot...

https://github.com/davemolton/Client-Su ... all/master

You should be able to switch your culture back to Canadian. If you don't like the French translations on the Client you can exit the Client, delete the "fr" folder from C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\Client and restart the Client.
I do have better translations from Xender, just not uploaded yet.

Hopefully that works for you.
astralmind

Post by astralmind »

Hey Dave,

French now works but unfortunately, the dashboard still crash in the same way.
dmolton

Post by dmolton »

astralmind wrote:Hey Dave,

French now works but unfortunately, the dashboard still crash in the same way.
hmm, not sure what it could be. I just tested again on a third laptop - Vanilla Win7 x86 French Canadian Region settings with no issues. I wonder what the problem is.. I'll keep an eye out for anything weird happening in that utility. It's pretty small, so not too many places where the error can be coming from.
laytonp

Post by laytonp »

I just did the update and am now having an issue.
My client says its connected but is not receiving any data. I then installed the new RAGen with the latest libraries and created a new file, uploaded it to the control just fine and it seems to be running just fine, but still no data. I have tried it with both WIFI selected and with it not selected to the same result.
Any thoughts on why the client isn't getting data when it says its connected?
Oh and I am using a USB connection.
Thanks
dmolton

Post by dmolton »

layton, the "connected" message on the statusbar just means that the Client has successfully connected to the Listener Service. It doesn't mean the Listener has, or even can communicate with the controller. If you're connecting over USB, there's a few things you have to make sure of.

Inside the ReefAngel_Features.h file, make sure the "#define wifi" line exists is NOT commented out. #define wifi is needed no matter if you're connecting to the controller over wifi or usb.

In the ReefAngel Service Dash application, make sure the "wifi enabled" checkbox is not checked, and you have the correct COM port and baud rate entered. Should be the same COM Port selected in the Arduino IDE. Baud Rate should be 57600.

Make sure the Arduino IDE is not running as it might have a lock on the COM Port needed by the Listener service. Once IDE is closed, from the Service Dash, stop and then start the Listener service. Try opening the Client again and see if you can see the information coming in.

If all that fails, send me a copy of the error log file and I'll have a look to see if there's anything that can help us.

C:\Users\YourUser\AppData\Roaming\ReefAngel\RAExceptionLog.log
laytonp

Post by laytonp »

so far no luck.. one question though. Do I need to have the web banner selected for logging? when I do it, i am unable to compile the code so i haven't been using it.
binder

Post by binder »

laytonp wrote:so far no luck.. one question though. Do I need to have the web banner selected for logging? when I do it, i am unable to compile the code so i haven't been using it.
Web Banner doesn't need to be selected for logging. Web Banner is when the client pushes the data to reefangel.com automatically for you. If you have this enabled, it will conflict with the Client Suite.

The Client Suite automatically downloads the data from the controller at it's specified interval. So as long as WIFI is enabled, the Client will handle the rest.

curt
laytonp

Post by laytonp »

binder wrote:
laytonp wrote:so far no luck.. one question though. Do I need to have the web banner selected for logging? when I do it, i am unable to compile the code so i haven't been using it.
Web Banner doesn't need to be selected for logging. Web Banner is when the client pushes the data to reefangel.com automatically for you. If you have this enabled, it will conflict with the Client Suite.

The Client Suite automatically downloads the data from the controller at it's specified interval. So as long as WIFI is enabled, the Client will handle the rest.

curt
Ok I have left the WIFI enabled, but it doesn't seem to be sending anything out over the COM port, and I do have the correct one selected as I am able to upload to the controller. I am assuming that the controller isn't sending anything out as when I am in the Arduino software and monitor the COM port I don't get anything. Here is a copy of the code from RAGen.
http://laytonweaver.selfip.com/website/ ... 1_0952.pde

Thanks for the help. This is kind of frustrating as I got everything working on the first version of the software, now it doesn't want to cooperate.
binder

Post by binder »

The PDE file looks good.

What about the Client Suite LOG file that dave asked about? Can you post it for him to look at?
There have been some really odd issues with the Client Suite services, so having that will really be helpful.

curt
laytonp

Post by laytonp »

Here is the log file.
http://laytonweaver.selfip.com/website/ ... ionLog.log
Thanks again.

Also I should mention that I am running Win XP Pro. Don't know if that helps at all
dmolton

Post by dmolton »

Layton, thanks for the log file.

You have a lot of the same error in there. I'm surprised the Client says "Connected" in green at the bottom, yet you are seeing these kind of connection errors from the Client. Looks to me like it's trying to connect to the Listener service for updates but the service is denying the connection over and over again. There's a 2 minute countdown timer that kicks in before trying to reconnect after an error like this. You can kind of see that happening since many of the errors are strung together exactly 2 mins apart.

Anyway, the only thing I can think of is your firewall might be blocking the request/response between the two. Would you mind stopping the firewall then restarting the Listener/Logger services and client and seeing if that helps?
laytonp

Post by laytonp »

I do not currently have any firewall enabled on this computer. I use another product for my firewall.
And yes I do get the green "Connected" at the bottom but I think the errors that you are seeing is when I have been cycling the listener on and off to upload new code to the controller.
Not sure that helps at all but it seems like everything is set up correct and its just not working.
laytonp

Post by laytonp »

Any other advise. I am thinking of trying a full re installation of everything to see if that works.
dmolton

Post by dmolton »

Hey Layton.

I'm not exactly sure what your problem is. I ran into the exact same error you were having this weekend myself while adding in some new features into the Client. It turns out I messed up the interface between the Listener and Client when adding in the new functions to handle reading and writing the date/time to the controller over wifi and usb. Unfortunately, this doesn't help you out too much.. You can't modify the interface because its already compiled - but then again you shouldn't have to either.

If you can hang in there a couple days, I would suggest doing a full Uninstall of everything (Making sure all the services are stopped first) and then delete the installer you downloaded. I have finished up development of the next version of the Suite this weekend and just have to add in some French translations and run some tests over USB to make sure everything works like it does over wifi. Hopefully the new version will work for you. I'll submit a new thread for Version 2.2 with the download link once I'm finished testing/upload.
laytonp

Post by laytonp »

Dmolton
Thanks for the update. I am not in a hurry so I will wait and test it out as soon as its available. Hopefully this solves my issue.