Arduino on Linux

Community contributed apps
binder

Re: Arduino on Linux

Post by binder »

I was unable to get to this update over the weekend. it is on my list of things to do this week or weekend. sorry for the delay.

Sent from my Nexus 7
binder

Post by binder »

ishtak wrote:Curt,

Any plans to update the linux version to use the new libraries and new wizard? Is it difficult to update? If you dont have time to update i'm happy to test for you with some gentle nudging in the right direction :)
I just uploaded the new version. See the OP for the link. Make sure you read the note at the end of the post. I'm looking into this further and will update if necessary.
binder

Post by binder »

Updated appropriately. Everything should be the latest version and work just fine. Feel free to test out and let me know if there are any problems.
smadascott

Post by smadascott »

well I tried using the files in the links on the original post but with no luck. I got everything installed but the compiler is version 1.0.3 and it wasn't reading the library files or giving me options to select the correct RA board. I finally just installed the windows RA compiler using Wine and got things working. However, if you do use wine you must manually set up the com ports! Wine doesn't do it automatically like windows does..
sabo

Post by sabo »

Is updating the libs as simple as pulling it from git and overwriting?
binder

Post by binder »

sabo wrote:Is updating the libs as simple as pulling it from git and overwriting?
depends on what version of the libs you were coming from. there was a change that was made to one of the support library files (i believe it was twc.c) with the update to 1.0.9.
otherwise, just downloading the latest libs from git and copying them into the libraries folder and overwriting should be ok. you won't get the latest wizard or additional feature checks that the arduino app provides though. all you can do is make a backup of your existing libraries folder first before you do anything and give it a try.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Hey Curt, doesn't the auto-update also work on linux?
When I push updates to master branch on git, the Mac and Windows versions pop-up a box saying that there is a libraries update and asks if you want to download it.
It's an integral part of my compiled version of the Arduino IDE, which is basically the pde.jar file, but I thought it would work on linux too.
Sabo, if you want to configure your linux to work with the Reef Angel libs, I would recommend starting with the package that Curt put together. It will place all the folders and files you need in the right place. After that, it is just a matter of pulling git repo clone to be updated.
Roberto.
binder

Post by binder »

rimai wrote:Hey Curt, doesn't the auto-update also work on linux?
When I push updates to master branch on git, the Mac and Windows versions pop-up a box saying that there is a libraries update and asks if you want to download it.
It's an integral part of my compiled version of the Arduino IDE, which is basically the pde.jar file, but I thought it would work on linux too.
Sabo, if you want to configure your linux to work with the Reef Angel libs, I would recommend starting with the package that Curt put together. It will place all the folders and files you need in the right place. After that, it is just a matter of pulling git repo clone to be updated.
Yeah, to the best of my knowledge it works. I had forgotten about it when he asked the question and was simply replying to the question. Guess I better pay closer attention when reading the questions. :)
sabo

Post by sabo »

The other thing I was wondering about was the arduino package thats available. I guess I will just have to install it and have a play. :)
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

I recommend curt's package. Otherwise its hard to get the wizard installed and all the ra files etc aside from libraries folder
binder

Post by binder »

just updated the libraries to version 1.1.1 and included the latest wizard as well.