Client 2.2 - New install issues

Community contributed apps
aranax

Client 2.2 - New install issues

Post by aranax »

Hey guys,
Sorry, but I'm having issues with another install of the RA Client. I had to reinstall Windows XP on a netbook that I plan on using as a dedicated comp for my tank. After all was done I installed the latest RA client (installed fine) but it wont start the logger and listener services so the client fails to launch. Here are the steps I took.

- Installed XP (no issues)
- ran windows update (no issues)
- Installed - Arduino - Reef Angel Installer (Windows) (no issues)
- Updated to Dev Lib 8.5.16
- Installed RA Client (davemolton-Client-Suite-Installer-Beta_2.2-0-gacca4ff.zip)
- Prompted need to .NET framework
- Installed latest >net framework (no issues)
- Continued RA Client install (no issues)
-- USB
-- COM3
-- BR 57600
- Launched RA Client and got an error
-- "RA Client has encountered an error and needs to close" (no other info).
- Launched serial reader and set it to COM3 BR 57600 and ran GET /r99 (no issues - received proper response)
- Launched Service Dash and tried to manually start services (neither service is able to start)

I did optimize XP by disabling the following services. Does the RAC require any of these?

Alerter
Automatic Updates
Background Intelligent Transfer Service
ClipBook
Computer Browser (if you have a standalone pc – no network)
Error Reporting Service
Fast User Switching Compatibility
Help and Support (switch to Manual)
Indexing Service
Messenger
NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing
Performance Logs and Alerts
QoS RSVP
Remote Desktop Help Session Manager
Remote Registry
Telnet
Themes
WebClient

Please help me...again...:) (sorry)

Jeremiah
aranax

Re: Client 2.2 - New install issues

Post by aranax »

UPDATE: One thing I noticed is the Serial reader defaults to COM5 (don't know why) so I have to set it to COM3

-J
rimai

Post by rimai »

The default COM5 is normal. Mine does the same thing, always goes to COM5.
I think there is no link between the settings on the Client itself and Serial Reader.
Roberto.
aranax

Post by aranax »

Thanks. I tried to start the services via Computer Management Services and it says the "service was started but was stopped because there is no work for it"...or something like that.

Still no go...

-J
dmolton

Post by dmolton »

Hey aranax,

None of the services you disabled will likely cause issues with the Suite application.

The issue is you're most likely missing the required .NET frameworks on your new XP installation.

You will need .NET framework 3.5 SP1 for the Logger service. (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/959209)

The Client portion of the suite references the .NET framework 4.0 Client Profile. You can install the full version of the .NET framework 4.0 (http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/de ... x?id=17851) or just the Client Profile (http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/de ... x?id=17113)

I would do the full 4.0 install just to be safe.

Make sure your XP is caught up with the service packs also.

You should be able to see which versions of the .NET framework are installed inside Control Panel -> Add Remove Programs. The names will start with "Microsoft .NET....."

edit: I'll also see if I can include the required prerequisite check for both the 3.5 SP1 framework as well as the 4.0 (Which you already saw during installation, I'm guessing) during the installation process.