Custom iPad/iphone/Android control using iRule

Community contributed apps
arch

Post by arch »

I use iRule (iruleathome dot com) to control audio-visual equipment at home with various iOS devices

I’ve discovered that via the wifi attachment, I can also use iRule to control my Reef Angel !
(see the image below for an example of one of my custom ipad panels).
iRuleiPad.jpg
iRuleiPad.jpg (86.29 KiB) Viewed 3927 times
If anyone has an interest in creating their own iRule panels, I’ve shared the Reef Angel device commands on the iRulebuilder device database (search for “Reef Angel” in the “Vendor” field in the “User” database). To make this work, you also need to create a “Network Device” in the iRule app, so that commands will be sent to the RA wifi attachment IP address.

I have fairly simple needs – so I’ve only added “Network Codes” for switching relays (/rxy) on my 2 boxes, but I would expect changing pre-defined memory locations/values would be easy - creating extra “Network Codes” for your own commands is a trivial exercise. Once you’re familiar with the builder interface, creating your own basic panels is pretty quick (no programming experience necessary).

I just use iRule to turn things on and off by overriding the RA status. One handy feature of iRule is the ability to set up “macros” to send a sequence of multiple commands separated by delays – I use this to operate various pumps in sequence to perform a water change (then return to auto). Another thing I like about using iRule compared to the Portal or iphone app, is that I can expose only the RA controls I want to (limiting the amount of damage my 6 year old can do). Unfortunately, you need a license (costing between $50 and $100) to use it.

Theoretically it should also be possible to display the real time status of the RA in the iRule app using “feedbacks” – but (beyond displaying simple web pages) setting this up is beyond my capabilities...
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Very cool. Wish it weren't so expensive though.