Setting up in Linux

Community contributed apps
binder

Re: Setting up in Linux

Post by binder »

enigma32 wrote: If I may ask, Curt, is there a particular reason you went with ~/Arduino/ instead of ~/sketchbook (which I think is the default in unix-land, since I can't imagine I would have changed it way back when I set it up initially...)?
I believe it had to do with uniformity across all platforms. Windows and Mac both utilize the Arduino directory in the "documents" folder. So to keep things consistent, I believe that was why I did that. It also can possibly have something to do with the auto library updater as well. I think it looks for a specific directory to check for the libraries (or it may not, I don't recall).

So, I believe it was for uniformity and consistency with the other platforms. :)
enigma32

Post by enigma32 »

Fair enough.
I'd point out, though, that it's still not quite the same:

windows:
[home]/Documents/Arduino/

unix:
[home]/Arduino/

Not that it really matters; I was just curious. Personally I've always hated that it (arduino) created a folder in my home directory by default :-)
If I get ambitious I might try to build a .deb package... I've just never done one completely from scratch before.
Current setup:
60g 24" custom cube (fish and softies right now)
AI Sol Blue, Ecotech MP-10wES
Coralife skimmer
100% customer controller, transitioning to ReefAngel
binder

Post by binder »

enigma32 wrote:Fair enough.
I'd point out, though, that it's still not quite the same:

windows:
[home]/Documents/Arduino/

unix:
[home]/Arduino/

Not that it really matters; I was just curious. Personally I've always hated that it (arduino) created a folder in my home directory by default :-)
If I get ambitious I might try to build a .deb package... I've just never done one completely from scratch before.
Yeah, I know. I'm not a fan of a folder being created in my home directory by default either. It was just simpler to stick with Arduino name instead of trying to confuse people.

I thought about doing a .deb package as well, but didn't I didn't fully understand the package creation process. It wanted to do a build of the package when there really wasn't any package to build. I guess that goes with my lack of knowledge of the package creation process.
enigma32

Post by enigma32 »

Ah, sorry-- I meant that I don't like the *arduino* default of adding ~/sketchbook.
I don't have any problem with the way you packaged things up.

As for packaging... yeah, it gets pretty murky relatively quickly. I've built a bunch of rpms and debs for newer versions of existing packages, using the original spec files as a starting point, and even that took a while to figure out. Oh well... someday.... :-)
Current setup:
Coralife skimmer
binder

Post by binder »

heh, yeah....I knew what you meant.

yes, I agree it gets pretty murky fast. I'm all for creating a deb pkg for simplicity for people. So if you start working on it, I'd be up for helping out as well.....someday.... :)
enigma32

Post by enigma32 »

haha sounds like a plan. I'll ping you when I start to look at it.
Current setup:
Coralife skimmer