port forwarding?

Community contributed apps
jjdezek

port forwarding?

Post by jjdezek »

I got the wifi up and running, and i can access it from my iphone as long as im on my wifi network. When i turn wifi off on my phone and go to wireless network i cant access the RA. I went through my router to set up the port forwarding but really not sure if im doing it right or if theres some firewall settings i need to change. I have a netgear 7550 from at&t. I went in and created a new port forward to the ip address and added the 2000 to the end of it but not sure if i need tcp or udp or both?
binder

Re: port forwarding?

Post by binder »

You really only need TCP but if you choose both, it won't hurt.
jjdezek

Post by jjdezek »

ok so why cant i access it on my phone when not on the network?
binder

Post by binder »

jjdezek wrote:ok so why cant i access it on my phone when not on the network?
It can be a couple things.
1. The port could not be open on the router even though you think it is.
2. The External IP address that you are trying to use to connect could be different. You can use http://www.whatismyip.com/ to confirm your IP address.

When you try to access your controller from outside of your wifi network, you will need to use the public IP assigned to your router from ATT. A lot of people utilize free dynamic dns services to assign a domain name to their IP address that way their app can reference the domain name instead of the IP address (just like DNS is supposed to work). Then they run a piece of software to update their IP address any time it changes from their service provider.

I would start by verifying that you are using your public IP address in the app when on your phone.