A couple of RAGen problems

Community contributed apps
dedvalson

A couple of RAGen problems

Post by dedvalson »

Hi all,

I just got into the whole RA thing yesterday, installed everything and had a couple of issues with RAGen to report.

1. The initial installed version only ran the first time I tried to run it. After that it would silently fail. The process would start but then exit with no error message. I installed the static version and that solved the problem.

2. The static version thinks that Adruino is missing (it says MISSING on the Settings Form). I wonder if perhaps it is because Adruino got installed under ProgramFiles and RAGen got installed under ProgramFiles(x86).

As a side note, I am a software developer with considerable experience in both MFC and .NET windows applications. I have Visual Studio 2005, 2008 and 2010 available and if you would like me to I could assist with debugging the above issues or others as well.

Thanks,

Don
dedvalson

Re: A couple of RAGen problems

Post by dedvalson »

Never mind on problem number 2. That was only happening because I misunderstood the 3 path entries on the setup screen. I thought the one labeled "Adruino Folder" was looking for my Adruino data folder, not the program folder.

Don
rimai

Post by rimai »

Hi Don,

Thanks for the offer.
All the source code for the RAGen is available on Curt's github.
http://www.github.com/curtbinder
Do you also have any experience with Web/AJAX?
Roberto.
binder

Post by binder »

Like Roberto said, the source is available. I'm in the process of making some changes and adding features to the code, so some stuff may be changing. It's all written in VC++ 2005.

If you want to try to track down why it doesn't always run when installed, that would be great. I haven't figured that one out yet. Also, on a side note, I'm going to be migrating the application to Java instead of VC++ for cross platform capabilities.

Feel free to msg me or email me directly if you have questions about the app.

curt
dedvalson

Post by dedvalson »

rimai wrote:Hi Don,

Thanks for the offer.
All the source code for the RAGen is available on Curt's github.
http://www.github.com/curtbinder
Do you also have any experience with Web/AJAX?
I have done a lot of .NET based web development but very little AJAX. I have used jquery quite a bit.

Don
dedvalson

Post by dedvalson »

binder wrote:Like Roberto said, the source is available. I'm in the process of making some changes and adding features to the code, so some stuff may be changing. It's all written in VC++ 2005.

If you want to try to track down why it doesn't always run when installed, that would be great. I haven't figured that one out yet. Also, on a side note, I'm going to be migrating the application to Java instead of VC++ for cross platform capabilities.

Feel free to msg me or email me directly if you have questions about the app.

curt
Interesting about the port to Java. I have a major app I wrote initially in .NET and then ported to Java for the same reason. It wasn't too hard to do.

Don
rimai

Post by rimai »

Well, we actually need help the webserver code.
This is the JS file that the controller uses:
http://www.reefangel.com/wifi/ra1.js
If you understand what the JS is doing, you may be able to help :)
Roberto.
dedvalson

Post by dedvalson »

This looks like pretty straight forward JS. Is there something in particular you were wondering about it or were you looking for a general explanation of what it is doing?

Don
rimai

Post by rimai »

I know what it is doing :)
I created it.
But, it is outdated as it does not have any other stuff besides parameters display and the first relay box.
It would be nice to be able to update memory settings and display the expansion boxes.
Also, there is a bug somewhere in the AJAX. Dave can explain better what it is.
It happens only with a certain combination of webserver/Client and Windows gadget.
It gets stuck and won't refresh until you close the other application. I just can't remember specifics.
Let's see if Dave can explain it better.
Roberto.
dmolton

Post by dmolton »

Yeah, basically the Listener service uses the System.Net.WebClient library to query the controller every 15 seconds. For whatever reason, when the ajax XMLHttpRequest() portion of the aforementioned javascript runs, either on a web page, or in my gadget which uses the same javascript bits, the webclient.DownloadString() function fails to get a proper response from the controller and instead throws an exception. I haven't been able to figure out exactly how to fix it yet.

Basic Javascript ajax from webpage/gadget

Code: Select all

var a = new XMLHttpRequest();
a.open('GET','r'+id,true);
a.send(null);
Here's the Listener code bit:

Code: Select all

using (client = new WebClient())
{
      if (!string.IsNullOrEmpty(wifiUsername))
          client.Credentials = new NetworkCredential(wifiUsername, wifiPassword);
      input = client.DownloadString(toSend);

//Do stuff with input variable
}