Did someone say iPhone app?

Community contributed apps
wolfador

Re: Did someone say iPhone app?

Post by wolfador »

I forked the project to my github

https://github.com/wolfador

Went through and fixed some leaks and changed a few things. I need to get the wifi module so I can really start working on it. Any idea of I can run the same webserver on my pc that the module uses to "fake" it?
John
ReefAngel and ReefAngel-HD developer
If the RA iOS app has helped please consider a donation
binder

Post by binder »

Cant fake it but hopefully in the next day or 2, i will have a controller online specifically for development and testing. I will post more info when it's up and running.

curt
wolfador

Post by wolfador »

binder wrote:Cant fake it but hopefully in the next day or 2, i will have a controller online specifically for development and testing. I will post more info when it's up and running.

curt

Awesome
John
dmolton

Post by dmolton »

wolfador wrote:I forked the project to my github

https://github.com/wolfador

Went through and fixed some leaks and changed a few things. I need to get the wifi module so I can really start working on it. Any idea of I can run the same webserver on my pc that the module uses to "fake" it?
Thanks for your efforts so far. Glad the project has an experienced ios developer behind it. During half time I'll do a fetch and upload to see what happens.

-Dave
binder

Post by binder »

wolfador wrote:
binder wrote:Cant fake it but hopefully in the next day or 2, i will have a controller online specifically for development and testing. I will post more info when it's up and running.

curt
Awesome
Ok, I've got the controller online. I will ask that you try to "be gentle" with it and try not to overload it. :)

http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=289

curt
wolfador

Post by wolfador »

I will be using TestFlight for the betas so if you want to try it out sign up at:

http://tflig.ht/mZuYUi

Once everyone is signed up I will upload a build and everyone can start playing / commenting. I can have up to 91 devices during the beta test.
John
Xender

Post by Xender »

registered ! ;-)
Fresh Water Aquarium 180*60*80
Salt Water Aquarium 60*60*60
Click Here to see the Video of my Fresh Water Aquarium
wolfador

Post by wolfador »

to those who signed up for the testing make sure to also register your device, you just need to click on the email they sent you on your device. This will be how you get your beta builds.
John
dmolton

Post by dmolton »

Hey Wolfador. Haven't signed up for the beta yet with TestFlight, but I did just download your latest push to github and uploaded to my phone for some testing. Nice job on the app so far, it's coming together nicely. I have some initial feedback for you.
  • The splash screen a nice touch when first launching the app for the synchronous call to get the latest data ;)
  • The refresh button does not update the green timestamp on the main page when the request is finished. It only updates when switching from "Settings page" to "My Tank page". I'm also not sure if you want to do a request when switching from those two pages every time. Not that you're likely to constantly be switching between the two often, but it adds a jarring unresponsive effect when switching between two pages. Also masking a relay on/off/auto will respond with the latest data for the controller. It looks like the temp/ph values update but the time should also update at this point as well.
  • A date/time format option in the settings screen would be nice. Something like "h:mm:ss tt" would be useful for some of the stateside users who are accustomed to seeing this format. I personally like the 24hr format, myself.
  • An asynchronous request to the controller, if possible, would be ideal for the overall feel for the app. The request from the refresh button, and switching pages causes the application to become unresponsive for a brief couple seconds while it does the round trip. I realize it's a remnant of the apps behavior I left for you when uploading it, and I always hated that synchronous frozen app feeling. Sorry for that :/
  • When the relay expansion is enabled and I try to mask relay 1 of the expansion box off, the app masks relay 1 of the original box off instead. This is true for all the states(auto/on/off) and relays for the expansion box. You just need to identify that an expansion relay is the target and increment the box id to 1.
The way masking relay expansions works is if you don't explicitly identify a box the two digits always correspond to base box. If you do identify a box, then the box id is zero based and the two following digits reflect the relay# and state.

For example:

/r42 = Base box (0) implied, relay 4, state 2 (auto)

alternatively, this command does the same thing to the same box:
/r042 = Base box (0), relay 4, state 2

for expansion box 1, just increment 0 to 1:
/r142 = Expansion box 1, relay 4, state 2

Hope this helps, and keep up the good work! It's nice to be on the testing/suggesting side of these apps finally :D

edit: I also managed an app crash inside the simulator once. I think I clicked on the feedback button, cancelled out of the input dialog there which lead me to the settings screen and then I quickly clicked on the My Tank button. I *think* those were the steps, at least.. I'll keep messing around and see what happens..
wolfador

Post by wolfador »

dmolton wrote:
[*]The splash screen a nice touch when first launching the app for the synchronous call to get the latest data ;)
Did you get the Reef Angel Loading..... screen? If there any ideas for a better one feel free to put it on github or let me know. If we decide to stay with that one we would at least need a higher resolution one, especially for the iPhone 4.
dmolton wrote: [*]The refresh button does not update the green timestamp on the main page when the request is finished. It only updates when switching from "Settings page" to "My Tank page". I'm also not sure if you want to do a request when switching from those two pages every time. Not that you're likely to constantly be switching between the two often, but it adds a jarring unresponsive effect when switching between two pages. Also masking a relay on/off/auto will respond with the latest data for the controller. It looks like the temp/ph values update but the time should also update at this point as well.
Noticed that earlier when playing with it on my lunch break and forgot to write it down. haha. Should be fixed now.
dmolton wrote: [*]A date/time format option in the settings screen would be nice. Something like "h:mm:ss tt" would be useful for some of the stateside users who are accustomed to seeing this format. I personally like the 24hr format, myself.
Can probably have it pull the "regional" time settings from the system defaults and apply that. Will add that to the "ToDo list"

edit: should be fixed now. If you set it to the standard AM/PM iOS will automatically update the formatter if the device is using 24 hour time. Could still make a switch if someone wants the iPhone to be Am/PM but the app to be 24hour.
dmolton wrote: [*]An asynchronous request to the controller, if possible, would be ideal for the overall feel for the app. The request from the refresh button, and switching pages causes the application to become unresponsive for a brief couple seconds while it does the round trip. I realize it's a remnant of the apps behavior I left for you when uploading it, and I always hated that synchronous frozen app feeling. Sorry for that :/
Yea I haven't touched that too much, I made it a bit better for first startup so it won't connect unless the url is entered. That is definitely on the todo list.
dmolton wrote: [*]When the relay expansion is enabled and I try to mask relay 1 of the expansion box off, the app masks relay 1 of the original box off instead. This is true for all the states(auto/on/off) and relays for the expansion box. You just need to identify that an expansion relay is the target and increment the box id to 1.
Should be fixed now, just updated the switch tags to 11,12,13 etc. I checked the /r99 on curts page and it looked like it was updating.
dmolton wrote: edit: I also managed an app crash inside the simulator once. I think I clicked on the feedback button, cancelled out of the input dialog there which lead me to the settings screen and then I quickly clicked on the My Tank button. I *think* those were the steps, at least.. I'll keep messing around and see what happens..
That is an issue with the TestFlight SDK, they are working on it. That will all be removed before submission to the App Store since it is only for testing.
Last edited by wolfador on Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
wolfador

Post by wolfador »

Also, I uploaded the first and second builds to TestFlight. So you guys should be able to download, install and test.

Thanks
John
Xender

Post by Xender »

Hey!

I've tested it this morning.
I don't get the datas temp (still empty)
It looks like I've got the same problem that I've got on th http web page also ("Please wait loading...")
But I can toggle On/Off my relays.

What's the blue button LED near toggle button? (Blue mask Auto, Green mask ON, Red mask Off ???)
Mine still in blue all the time.

Do we must need optiboot for having working Http server?

On http://curtbinder.dyndns.info:2000 it's working (I didn't touch the relay ^^) Need to set password autentification here for security !

The app bug when I lunch it with Wifi Off and my IP local (working with http://curtbinder.dyndns.info:2000). Looks like it's working when the Reef is responding.

Thanks !
Xender

Post by Xender »

The values stay even when I retry my IP just after I tryed curt address. (There is no error sync message and the date refresh to the actual time).
Maybe you can put the date in red if there is no datas sync?

This is Curt infos :
wolfador

Post by wolfador »

Thanks for the feedback, I am working on alerts that will display if it cannot connect.

The blue led is actually a button that puts the relay back into Auto mode.

Do you have the 2 other temp probes connected?
John
binder

Post by binder »

my setup has all the latest fixes in it, so thats why some stuff works as expected on mine.

I only have 1 temp probe plugged in. I can plug in additional ones if needed.

curt
wolfador

Post by wolfador »

Just ordered my wifi module and an additional temp sensor. Now I will be able to use the app on my own tank.
John
Xender

Post by Xender »

please push your fixes then curt ;-)
binder

Post by binder »

Xender wrote:please push your fixes then curt ;-)
Soon. Im waiting on confirmation of some features plus i have to write a guide for the custom menu. Hopefully i will have it released this weekend barring any complications.

curt
wolfador

Post by wolfador »

Uploaded latest build to TestFlight.

*Added alerts for when unable to connect or download data.
*Removed feedback button which caused crash
*Fixed bug so app does not crash when switching multiple relays quickly
*Fixed bug so exp relay shows without having to refresh

If anyone wants to create any new loading screens or interface feel free, I am terrible with graphics. :)

Here is what it currently looks like:

John
rimai

Post by rimai »

Awesome!!
What type of file do you need for the logo?
Can it render vector type of files?
Roberto.
Xender

Post by Xender »

When you change tab from settings to tank for example, it tale long time because of the datas check. Can you change tab before checking datas? The app looks like it crash therefor
Francois

Post by Francois »

This is great work guys, how would you put the application on your Iphone through SSH?
wolfador

Post by wolfador »

rimai wrote:Awesome!!
What type of file do you need for the logo?
Can it render vector type of files?
Here are the guidelines for the icon. I am pretty sure vector files will work.

http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/ ... mages.html

If you make one 512x512, we can just use http://iconswitch.me/ to create all the other icon sizes.
John
Chris

Post by Chris »

When do you think we can get it on the app store? I'm waiting till then.
wolfador

Post by wolfador »

Xender wrote:When you change tab from settings to tank for example, it tale long time because of the datas check. Can you change tab before checking datas? The app looks like it crash therefor
Was this on the version I uploaded last night? The first build had a bug that caused it to download the data 3 times before displaying which caused a big delay. One the newer build using Curts dev box mine updates in a split second on wifi or 3g.
Chris wrote:When do you think we can get it on the app store? I'm waiting till then.
Will probably submit this weekend for approval. Usually takes a couple days after that to get approved. You can sign up for the TestFlight site or I would just need your UUID for your device and I can email you the .ipa to install.
Last edited by wolfador on Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
John
Chris

Post by Chris »

Can't wait. I can only see my r/a on wifi and that's at home so be good to keep watch when I'm at work or out. Good work.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Here it is.
I hope this helps.
Attachments
ReefAngel-Logo-512x512.png
ReefAngel-Logo-512x512.png (20.94 KiB) Viewed 6076 times
Roberto.
wolfador

Post by wolfador »

icon looks great, thanks.

We may have to scrap the loading screen since Apple is not too fond of them. But we will see. Got anything for that? Size should be 640x960. My current one looks a little grainy on the iPhone 4.
John
wolfador

Post by wolfador »

got my wifi module in today and uploaded a new build to testflight. Let me know if there are any issues so we can fix before submitting to apple.
John
rimai

Post by rimai »

How about this one?
Attachments
ReefAngel-Splash-640x968.png
ReefAngel-Splash-640x968.png (77.04 KiB) Viewed 6036 times
Roberto.