Reef Angel Remote on Windows Phone 8

Community contributed apps
thekameleon

Reef Angel Remote on Windows Phone 8

Post by thekameleon »

Reef Angel Remote has been released to the Windows Phone Store. You can download and install it from this link:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store ... bd47008765

I am looking for feedback on the app. I am targeting Windows Phone 8 right now, if enough of you are on Windows Phone 7 and intend on staying on it, then I may port it over. Otherwise I am continuing to work on the Windows 8 app.

Future roadmap:
  • - Label Syncing
    - Label Editing
    - Memory Editor
    - Custom Variable to Text (i.e. a custom variable value of 1 could read "on")
    - Water Leak Detector support
    - Charting
    - Journal (i.e. log water parameters such as ammonia, nitrites, etc... so they can be charted with Reef Angel parameters)
Again, I look forward to your feedback as I intend to actively support this app and the Windows 8 apps. I may also port this to Android in the future, if there is demand.
rimai

Re: Reef Angel Remote on Windows Phone 8

Post by rimai »

Awesome!!!
I need to find someone with a W8 phone now :)
Roberto.
bubbles

Post by bubbles »

Nice!!

Installed and works fine, will give the tires a good kick on the weekend.

Thanks a lot for the effort!
thekameleon

Post by thekameleon »

A couple of things, I am trying to figure out is how to best communicate the status of the connections to the portal and controller. I have the C and P indicators to the top right that show red for not connected and green for connected. I am going to tweak that to include yellow to mean available but not retrieving data from. If anyone has a suggestions, let me know.

Out of the future roadmap items, is there anything you would like added or prioritized?
- Label Syncing
- Label Editing
- Memory Editor
- Custom Variable to Text (i.e. a custom variable value of 1 could read "on")
- Water Leak Detector support
- Charting
- Journal (i.e. log water parameters such as ammonia, nitrites, etc... so they can be charted with Reef Angel parameters)
bubbles

Post by bubbles »

Few very minor things.

- label the plug board the same orientation as the relay box. #1 is top-right. Or let me choose the orientation
- feedback on refresh. it's not clear if hitting refresh fails or succeeds

Requests

- configerable alerts on the device
- live tile for parameters

If you'd like a hand please let me know, I'm a developer by trade.
thekameleon

Post by thekameleon »

Awesome thanks... I was debating that on the relay layout. I think I will add it. As for refreshing, I was thinking of having a rotating icon on top of the "C" or "P" depending where the data is coming from.

I totally get the live tiles and it is in my plans. Can you elaborate more on the configurable alerts? do you mean something similar to the Reef Angel Portal website? And when an alert happens, how do you want to be notified? Would you want alerts synced between the Windows Phone app and the Windows 8 app?
thekameleon

Post by thekameleon »

@bubbles. I just submitted a new release of the app that includes an indicator when the data is refreshing and allows for a reverse order of the relays. By default the order is reversed like the Relay Box layout... It should take a week or so to get through the submission process.
bubbles

Post by bubbles »

Looking forward to the new release.

For the alerts, exactly like you said re: custom alerts via the portal. Maybe a toast notification every time an alert trips with an alert log in the app?

BTW: Showed the app to someone at our LFS today and their jaw just dropped.
thekameleon

Post by thekameleon »

Thanks for the feedback... Its too bad, I can't create the same functionality on other mobile platforms.
thekameleon

Post by thekameleon »

Version v1.1 just hit the Windows Phone store. The key thing it is going to do is add is an indicator of when and how the data is being refreshed (either from the portal or controller) and it will reverse the order of the relays be default there is a new setting that will allow you to flip it back.

If anyone has any issues, please let me know. The Windows 8 app should be submitted to the Windows Store by the end of this week.
bubbles

Post by bubbles »

Got the update a couple of days ago. Very nice.

- Relay ordering looks good, don't have to mentally transpose them anymore :)
- Data refresh looks awesome

The following would be nice additions.

- changing the relay labels manually (I forget which devices are plugged in where)
- alerts and notifications on the device, guessing it would need to run in the background and refresh the data continuously
thekameleon

Post by thekameleon »

I am working on Sync label as we speak and will probably launch that along with the Windows 8 app v1.0 (Windows Phone 8 v1.2). Alerts and notifications, I have to think it through a bit. I think I want to integrate it with the Portal alerts, so it can sync with and interpret those rules. Windows Phone has some pretty strict rules on background processes. So I will probably tie that in with my Live Tiles update that I plan for Win8 v1.1 and WP8 v1.3.
bubbles

Post by bubbles »

Sounds good. I can beta test the win8 app on my tablet if you need a hand.
gomer23

Post by gomer23 »

Is this app still under development? I might be getting a windows phone this week.
thekameleon

Post by thekameleon »

Its already in the Windows Phone Store
GiraffeCat

Post by GiraffeCat »

What is the "P" in the corner next to the "C"?
.....Your forefathers wisely set aside their compassion - Steeled themselves for what needed to be done.......
newtoke

Post by newtoke »

P stands for Portal, C stands for Controller. They tell you were the data is coming from. It will always try to default to the controller, unless one is not specified or unavailable
GiraffeCat

Post by GiraffeCat »

To whoever made the WP8 App - Thanks! Nice to have this available!

Late,
GC
.....Your forefathers wisely set aside their compassion - Steeled themselves for what needed to be done.......
newtoke

Post by newtoke »

You are welcome... I intend on making the noted changes some time this year as well as put out the Windows 8 app... Before Christmas I hope.
GiraffeCat

Post by GiraffeCat »

I would like the ability to label all of the relays, would be a brain space saver. I don't have my dimming expansion yet, so I don't know if possible to just tap the graph or something to dim/brighten easily. Would be nice to if not currently possible.

As for what I would most like at present - An Ad Free Version! I dislike the add at the bottom taking up relay box command room. I would not mind tossing in a few bucks to the creator of the app for no ads! Just my $0.02 on the matter.

Thank you again for the app,
GC
Kungpaoshizi

Post by Kungpaoshizi »

Yay!
Waiting for my unit atm, but should be able to check this out soon. I was thinking about a desktop application as well, or an html 5 webpage.. The more I think of though, the more it seems many things are already done :D
binder

Post by binder »

Kungpaoshizi wrote:Yay!
Waiting for my unit atm, but should be able to check this out soon. I was thinking about a desktop application as well, or an html 5 webpage.. The more I think of though, the more it seems many things are already done :D
well, some may be done but they may not be current. for example, my java app is not up to date with the new changes but my android app is.

Sent from my iPad mini
Kungpaoshizi

Post by Kungpaoshizi »

Android coded in c++?
binder

Post by binder »

Kungpaoshizi wrote:Android coded in c++?
it's coded in java.

Sent from my Moto X
GiraffeCat

Post by GiraffeCat »

Can the fancy UApp that everyone loves get ported as a Windows 10 App? I am parked in front of a pc all the time.

Dan