Android Reef Angel Status

Community contributed apps
cosmith71

Re: Android Reef Angel Status

Post by cosmith71 »

One thing I've noticed on tablets is that the relay screens become harder to use simply because the button is so far away from the label. It's a little harder to match up and hit the correct button (I know, I suck).

I like the idea of the relay screens being more like the commands screen, with a big square button that contains the label for each port.

--Colin
binder

Post by binder »

cosmith71 wrote:One thing I've noticed on tablets is that the relay screens become harder to use simply because the button is so far away from the label. It's a little harder to match up and hit the correct button (I know, I suck).

I like the idea of the relay screens being more like the commands screen, with a big square button that contains the label for each port.

--Colin
i have noticed that too. I honestly have not given much additional work to those devices but i need to. i could even have a slight alternating row color as well as larger buttons. i could even alter the layout and make it closer together. i will just have to play around with it and see what i come up with.

a side note, i have been working on perfecting the theming and layouts for the app. i want to try to follow the google material guidelines better. some things will match up properly and others might be slightly off but not terribly bad. it's just a work in progress.

Sent from my iPad mini
Rodasphoto

Post by Rodasphoto »

binder wrote:
cosmith71 wrote:One thing I've noticed on tablets is that the relay screens become harder to use simply because the button is so far away from the label. It's a little harder to match up and hit the correct button (I know, I suck).

--Colin
i have noticed that too. I honestly have not given much additional work to those devices but i need to. i could even have a slight alternating row color as well as larger buttons. i could even alter the layout and make it closer together. i will just have to play around with it and see what i come up with.

a side note, i have been working on perfecting the theming and layouts for the app. i want to try to follow the google material guidelines better. some things will match up properly and others might be slightly off but not terribly bad. it's just a work in progress.

Sent from my iPad mini
Nice. I can help with the graphics if you need it. Let me know.
binder

Post by binder »

Since documentation is, how do you say, lacking for my app, I took the time yesterday (all day actually) to document the app and include screenshots. It started off as me learning to use markdown and writing up some info about the preferences and then it turned into me writing up something for the entire app. I figured it was necessary to explain how everything works with the app so there's no confusion. It can also be a better help for me to keep track of what is missing, needed, not needed, etc. I plan on updating it as more functionality is added and as the app evolves.

It's a start for now. Here's the link to it:
Android Status Manual

It is based off of the existing Beta 3 version. I may be pushing out a RC 1 release later today. I'm pretty sure I have things about as polished as I can have them.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Awesome!!!
Roberto.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

Very nice Binder.
pandimus

Post by pandimus »

Excellent....
binder

Post by binder »

New update posted. Should be available in the store later tonight or tomorrow. Almost ready for official release. The theme should now be consistent all throughout. As long as it is, that will help for the addition of a Dark theme that so many have requested.
pandimus

Post by pandimus »

binder wrote:New update posted. Should be available in the store later tonight or tomorrow. Almost ready for official release. The theme should now be consistent all throughout. As long as it is, that will help for the addition of a Dark theme that so many have requested.
Havent seen this update hit yet..
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

I got it.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

I got it a couple of days ago.
pandimus

Post by pandimus »

cosmith71 wrote:I got it.
Sacohen wrote:I got it a couple of days ago.
Ok thanks.. Lemme see what up
binder

Post by binder »

pandimus wrote:
it was only posted for the beta testers. so you need to be signed up for that from my google plus community. I have not pushed it out to everyone yet... making sure it passes the standard tests first.

Sent from my Nexus 7
pandimus

Post by pandimus »

binder wrote:
pandimus wrote:
it was only posted for the beta testers. so you need to be signed up for that from my google plus community. I have not pushed it out to everyone yet... making sure it passes the standard tests first.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Yeah i kinda figured that out when i reread your post. And realized it was only the old version on Google play
binder

Post by binder »

ok cool. so far things are looking and sounding good with it. if no other complaints about its functionality I will most likely release it to everyone this weekend.

Sent from my Moto X
binder

Post by binder »

Hold on to your hats folks, I just pushed out the official v2.0 release of my app.

Many thanks to all of you who tested and gave feedback during the long development phase.

I have updated all the screenshots on the playstore to reflect the latest design and layouts. I have included 7" tablet shots as well so you can see how it looks on those tablets too. The tablets screenshots also show what it looks like under the Android 5.0 and later. The standard phone screenshots are taken on KitKat.

Those people who did not test out the Beta versions, your app should update just fine (provided you have Android 4.0 or later....sorry guys that are still running 2.2 & 2.3, you won't be getting this update). If you have installed the Beta releases, you may have to re-do your homescreen launchers and re-add the app to your homescreen. Sorry for this problem but I fixed the issue with the release. I had changed a few internal names around and that initially screwed up the launcher. I just remembered that and fixed it for the official release. So, if you update your app and you notice that the launcher does not work, you know why.....my bad. :|

Otherwise, let me know if you encounter any issues with the update. I intentionally released it Friday night so I have the weekend to fix any "issues" that may come up from the updates. If no issues occur, then that's fantastic and it allows me to move onward to the next line of features and other misc projects.

Enjoy! :ugeek:
Ademster

Post by Ademster »

I don't like the colors, I loved the black background with the colored font.
otherwise seems to work the same.
Adam
58 Gal
pandimus

Post by pandimus »

I love it.. Seems to be flowing well right into lollipop
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

Ademster;
Binder is working on themes so you can choose the current white one or the older black one.

The only thing I've noticed since I installed the pushed version yesterday was that my icon to it from my home screen disappeared.
No big deal I just dragged another one out from the apps screen.
binder

Post by binder »

Sacohen wrote:Ademster;
Binder is working on themes so you can choose the current white one or the older black one.
yes, i am working on the black theme.
The only thing I've noticed since I installed the pushed version yesterday was that my icon to it from my home screen disappeared.
No big deal I just dragged another one out from the apps screen.
yeah, unfortunately the beta testers lost their home screen app.

Sent from my Moto X
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

Like I said., no big deal.
I just wanted to make sure it didn't happen to the non beta testers.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Curt, it has everything I wanted in it. Custom Vars, memory locations, 16 channel dimming, DC Pump, labels for dimming module and other ports, limiting the probes shown (T2, T3, etc). I appreciate the Material Design as well. Looks really nice even on my new phablet (LG G4) with Android 5.1.
binder

Post by binder »

AlanM wrote:Curt, it has everything I wanted in it. Custom Vars, memory locations, 16 channel dimming, DC Pump, labels for dimming module and other ports, limiting the probes shown (T2, T3, etc). I appreciate the Material Design as well. Looks really nice even on my new phablet (LG G4) with Android 5.1.
awesome!

Sent from my iPad mini
joshlawless

Post by joshlawless »

From a comment Roberto made in another thread, I thought it might be possible to update / change the custom variables from the Android app. Is this true? I can't figure out how. I've got them displaying in the app, and can change their labels, but since I don't see them in the list of memory locations (and I don't know their memory address), I don't see how to write a value to them. Can you enlighten me?

To clarify, I'm running the app (v2.0.0 from the Play store) on Androidx86 in a Virtual Machine on my iMac (since I don't have an android tablet). I'm stuck with mouse and keyboard input, but can seemingly interact with the application just fine. But I saw the post you made at http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?p=47242#p47242 and I can't figure out how to get that window to come up with the ability to change settings.
binder

Post by binder »

joshlawless wrote:From a comment Roberto made in another thread, I thought it might be possible to update / change the custom variables from the Android app. Is this true? I can't figure out how. I've got them displaying in the app, and can change their labels, but since I don't see them in the list of memory locations (and I don't know their memory address), I don't see how to write a value to them. Can you enlighten me?
on the custom variables page, you need to long press on the value of the variable. that will bring up the dialog box to allow for editing.

Sent from my iPad mini
joshlawless

Post by joshlawless »

binder wrote: on the custom variables page, you need to long press on the value of the variable. that will bring up the dialog box to allow for editing.

Sent from my iPad mini
Thanks! That worked.

FYI, for anyone that wants access to Curt's awesome app, but who doesn't have an Android device, you can install a copy of Androidx86 (for free) from Google (https://code.google.com/p/android-x86/downloads/list) in a Virtualbox (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads) instance of Linux by following the directions here: http://www.howtogeek.com/164570/how-to- ... irtualbox/

Once that's all done, you can use the emulator to run Android, install Reef Angel Status, and connect via your LAN to the controller.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

joshlawless wrote:
binder wrote: on the custom variables page, you need to long press on the value of the variable. that will bring up the dialog box to allow for editing.

Sent from my iPad mini
Thanks! That worked.

FYI, for anyone that wants access to Curt's awesome app, but who doesn't have an Android device, you can install a copy of Androidx86 (for free) from Google (https://code.google.com/p/android-x86/downloads/list) in a Virtualbox (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads) instance of Linux by following the directions here: http://www.howtogeek.com/164570/how-to- ... irtualbox/

Once that's all done, you can use the emulator to run Android, install Reef Angel Status, and connect via your LAN to the controller.
Neat, that's a good tip.
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

Hey Curt,

I get an Error 24: XMLReadException when trying to get the time from the controller.

--Colin
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

I don't get anything at all.
No errors or response with the time.
binder

Post by binder »

yeah, i get that error too when I get the time. setting the time works just fine though.
I think I know what it is related to but have not confirmed it.

Sent from my Moto X