host unreachable error

Community contributed apps
MDB1029

Re: host unreachable error

Post by MDB1029 »

binder wrote:Lol...no I don't hate you. It is just part of getting things up and running.

I would get the port forwarding corrected and that should get things working.
As for the dynamic dns, using the one provided by reef angel is probably the easiest (once you have port forwarding working).

Sent from my iPad mini
For some reason I can not get the port forwarding to work. I have been working on it since Thursday and have had no luck. I have read article after article and still it is just not working. Do you have any advice in this area? I must be missing something but have no idea what it is.
binder

Post by binder »

with the port forwarding, there are a couple things you must do..
1. assign a static ip to the reef angel either via static ip or a static dhcp lease
2. forward port 2000 tcp in your router to the static reef angel ip at port 2000 tcp
3. ensure you have a dynamic dns host name point to your router / public ip

the first 2 options give people trouble. i would focus on them in this order. make sure you can communicate with your controller at its internal ip address. then make certain the port is open and forwarding, then worry about the dynamic dns.

Sent from my iPad mini
MDB1029

Post by MDB1029 »

On the wifi adapter, the blue light is on solid and then it will fast blink and the green will slow blink. Could something with it not be setup correctly?
rimai

Post by rimai »

blink blue led means it is not connected to your router.
Roberto.
MDB1029

Post by MDB1029 »

What about it being solid blue? It is sold blue 90% of the time and then will fast blink blue and slow blink green.

I am really confused because it was working fine with the portal for about 3 weeks then just stopped and i did absolutely nothing to it.

Should i reset the Wi-Fi and go through the setup again? Any other suggestions?
MDB1029

Post by MDB1029 »

OK, so after redoing everything i have at least made some headway.

The wifi adapter started working correctly once i unplugged it from the controller and plugged it back in

Setup a new DNS so the app is working on the wifi and on the cellular network.

The Portal on the other hand is a different story.

I put the new DNS info in on the Control Panel - Profile screen and it will update, still says Host Unreachable Error, for a moment, but unable to toggle any of the relays or access the internal memory, and then it reverts back to an IP address which doesn't work.

So this is basically a Portal issue now, should I start a new thread there? I read a thread which had the same issue going on but its resolve is not working for me.
binder

Post by binder »

MDB1029 wrote:OK, so after redoing everything i have at least made some headway.

The wifi adapter started working correctly once i unplugged it from the controller and plugged it back in

Setup a new DNS so the app is working on the wifi and on the cellular network.

The Portal on the other hand is a different story.

I put the new DNS info in on the Control Panel - Profile screen and it will update, still says Host Unreachable Error, for a moment, but unable to toggle any of the relays or access the internal memory, and then it reverts back to an IP address which doesn't work.

So this is basically a Portal issue now, should I start a new thread there? I read a thread which had the same issue going on but its resolve is not working for me.
thats good to hear things are moving in the right direction.
I'm not sure about the portal issue though. roberto would be a better answer for that. yeah, i would think that starting a new thread over there would be smart...so it can be easier to locate in the future for others having a similar issue.

Sent from my iPad mini
MDB1029

Post by MDB1029 »

binder wrote:thats good to hear things are moving in the right direction.
I'm not sure about the portal issue though. roberto would be a better answer for that. yeah, i would think that starting a new thread over there would be smart...so it can be easier to locate in the future for others having a similar issue.

Sent from my iPad mini
So as i was typing out that everything was working, Portal, and App, it decided nothing was going to work at all. So i am basically back to square one 1 minute after i was 100% done. :(

I have no idea why it stopped again but needless to say i am extremely frustrated.
binder

Post by binder »

I wonder if something is going on with your wifi module. sometimes they can drop their connection to the controller and have to be unplugged and plugged back in.

Sent from my Nexus 7
rimai

Post by rimai »

Is it blinking blue?
Roberto.
MDB1029

Post by MDB1029 »

binder wrote:I wonder if something is going on with your wifi module. sometimes they can drop their connection to the controller and have to be unplugged and plugged back in.

Sent from my Nexus 7
That is exactly what it did. Unplugged and plugged back in and everything is working perfectly.
rimai wrote:Is it blinking blue?
It was blinking blue the other day. I basically unhooked it from the controller and plugged into my laptop got distracted with whatever else was going on and then plugged it back into the controller and it started working again at that point.

Is there something i am doing wrong or is there something else i need to do to get it to stay connected correctly? I am not so great with computer stuff but am not an idiot and will get something figured out if i am pointed in the right direction.

I basically followed the "wifi attachement manual" following method 1, i used a document which doesn't have a title on it, at least no title page printed, which says it is a step by step guide for worldwide access to your reefangel server, and i don't know if i did this last one correctly or not about setting up a static IP.

I have got the port forwarding figured out or at least working and i think i have a DHCP reservation on my router for the controller and i am not sure if that is different than a static IP or not.

Is there anything else i need to do to make this reliable? I am wanting to add password to it as well but i wanted to make sure everything was working properly before i take that step.
rimai

Post by rimai »

That looks like it is loosing the connection.
Is it far from the router?
Roberto.
MDB1029

Post by MDB1029 »

rimai wrote:That looks like it is loosing the connection.
Is it far from the router?
Not at all. I could literally set the wifi adapter on my router.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Maybe some unknown interference?
Are you able to try it on another router?
Roberto.
MDB1029

Post by MDB1029 »

unfortunately, i don't have another router to use.
MDB1029

Post by MDB1029 »

So I am getting this error again but only on the android app and only on cellular network. Any ideas how i could fix this?
rimai

Post by rimai »

Check the port forwarding on your router
Roberto.
MDB1029

Post by MDB1029 »

I checked it again. It seems to be working. But now the portal is giving me the unreachable host error again. This error is the bane of my existence
rimai

Post by rimai »

I has to be port forwarding.
http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/
When you check port 2000, what do you get?
Roberto.
MDB1029

Post by MDB1029 »

"Port 2000 is open"
MDB1029

Post by MDB1029 »

After some tinkering the portal is working again. problem with the DNS. The app still won't work unless i am on my wifi.
rimai

Post by rimai »

On the app, you must use the same ip address shown in the portal.
Roberto.
MDB1029

Post by MDB1029 »

rimai wrote:On the app, you must use the same ip address shown in the portal.
Looks like that was the problem.

You're the Man, Roberto!