MRTG

Community contributed apps
lnevo

MRTG

Post by lnevo »

So, I've wanted to do this for a long time and finally spent the time to get it working.

For those that don't know, MRTG is a graphing tool for routers/switches or whatever data you can feed into it. One of the best things that about MRTG is that it stores it's data in what's called RRD - Round Robin Database. What that means that it can store daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly data in a static format so that the data doesn't ever grow. It does this by collapsing the data into averages. Daily stores a 5 minute average, while Weekly stores a 30 minute average, Monthly a 2 hour average and Yearly a daily average. Obviously you lose some granularity, but it let's you keep a nice amount of data which even with Reeftronics keeping a 30 day log leaves me wishing for more history :)

So, to see what I'm talking about, check out the graphs of my tank at http://www.easte.net/mrtg
binder

Re: MRTG

Post by binder »

nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lnevo

Re: MRTG

Post by lnevo »

This actually saved me the other day. My AWC pump got stuck on and ran for 8 hours. My salinity dropped and I ended up dumping a bit of my ATO into the tank. I also so the huge drop in the saltwater bins. It all started when trying to update the RA upstairs and I accidentally wrote to the bluetooth which amazingly worked from upstairs enough to brick my RA downstairs. I just so happened to accidentally do that during the 15 minutes it was on for the night.... Anyway, bad timing, but luckily having all the graphs quickly loaded with a sudden break from the trend-line. Where would we be without these things. I don't know how people run a reef tank with no advanced control.