Openhab Binding

Requests for new functions or software apps
ewaldsreef

Openhab Binding

Post by ewaldsreef »

I don't know much about coding and especially Java but I am trying to learn. I am planning on running a home automation system using Opehab http://www.openhab.org It looks like the best and most complete open source software k. If someone was to add a binding for Reef Angel that would be amazing!
This might be a little off topic but I am going to use Arduino nodes throughout the house using Souliss http://www.souliss.net. There is a binding for this to the openhab server.
lnevo

Re: Openhab Binding

Post by lnevo »

Well we have an ability to tie android to RA. Perhaps curt can provide some API to at least make calls from android to RA that your software can tie into..
ewaldsreef

Post by ewaldsreef »

The Android app is really good and works well. I don't want anyone to think I am not happy with it. The purpose for the binding would be to include the home aquarium with the rest of the home automation. Openhab has the largest collection of bindings that can make all parts of the home work together.
Just as an example if there was a problem with your aquarium at night it could set off an alarm in your bedroom and turn the lights on for you . It basically opens up even more possibilities. My suggestion for the binding is by no means a replacement for the RA app or for RA hardware but a way to make things work together. Home automation is still huge and up and coming. This is also a great way to advertise RA to home automation enthusiasts.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

My point was to be able to allow the existing RA app on Android to allow you to be exposed to the openhab via an API so they can communicate. It wasn't intended to say it should be replaced :)
binder

Post by binder »

from looking at it, it just sounds like a module for openhab needs to be created to communicate with the RA controller, just like all of our other apps. i do not know if just creating some bindings on android will work because you still have to relay the data to the openhab server that monitors everything.

Sent from my iPad mini
ewaldsreef

Post by ewaldsreef »

Curt, How hard would it be to create the binding? Do you see some value in creating it? I have the openhab up and running if you need a test subject.

Lee, Now I see what you are saying lol.
rimai

Post by rimai »

I don't see how we would be able to create a binding unless we add an ethernet or ESP8266 module instead of the current wifi module.
Roberto.
binder

Post by binder »

ok. i didn't look into it much, so I don't know what it needed.

Sent from my Moto X
ewaldsreef

Post by ewaldsreef »

Roberto, I think you are looking at the Souliss link. The Openhab works with any number of devices that do not have either of those two things. I only made mention of the Souliss for an example of another project I am working on using Openhab.
ewaldsreef

Post by ewaldsreef »

Roberto, when I looked at Openhab I took a look at all of the bindings and the usable technology. This brought me to the manufacturer sites for the different items, like Phillips hue, Ge link etc. I will be spending some money with them. My point is I belive this would be good for RA and and the users of RA alike.
89delta

Post by 89delta »

That would kind of be cool....but isn't it almost like using an x10 module to activate a power relay to turn on the lights if stuff happens?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Yes thats what he's trying to do except with not x-10.

Bruce I'm sure it allows web calls why not just call the RA urls directly?
ewaldsreef

Post by ewaldsreef »

Lee, I am still learning about this so I am sure I will be able to answer this better in the future. One reason I want the binding would be to be able to include the home aquarium in the Openhab environment just like the hvac, the sprinklers etc.
binder

Post by binder »

lnevo wrote: Bruce I'm sure it allows web calls why not just call the RA urls directly?
that would be my suggestion as well. that would be the simplest solution. for examples on how to do this and handle the responses, feel free to check out the source code for my android application. it is laid out and documented somewhere inside of it. :smile:

Sent from my iPad mini
ewaldsreef

Post by ewaldsreef »

Lee and Curt, I will try this and see what I can do. I am about a month away from tackling this project but will post the results.