Issue: All inputs showing as "OFF" state on portal

Related to the Portal
astralmind

Issue: All inputs showing as "OFF" state on portal

Post by astralmind »

Hi,

I just plugged in my RA as we were leaving for 2 days and wanted to make sure our lights would be properly timed as well as have the ability to remotely monitor my temp since it's getting very hot this weekend.

Everything was working #1 when I ran my tests off the tank. Unfortunately, all my controls are showing up as being in a "forced" off state on the Portal (even though everything is running as it should according to the controler and the Android app). Normally they should all be auto and all on except for the ATO and heater

Any thoughts ? The portal is in "Live" state and updated just a minute ago (it also failed to automatically detect my IP when I left it blank in my profile).

I'm concerned that it might override certain functions...

THanks!
rimai

Re: Issue: All inputs showing as "OFF" state on portal

Post by rimai »

What browser are you using?
I'm looking at the data sent from your controller and there is not a single override. It's all on auto.
Roberto.
astralmind

Post by astralmind »

Thanks Roberto.. it's really odd, it seems to fix itself after about 15 minutes but it does that every time I open a new session on the forum.

Another weird thing (unrelated to the portal or so I think) is that some of the memory re-write I did through the Android app the day before didn't stick. If I query the field it does return the updated info but somehow the controller behaves based on the old value. In this case I had changed my Actinic timer to start at 8h30 vs 9h00 and it still started at 9h00. When I "read" the value at 8h40 it strangely appeared to have registered the proper value (8h30).

Do I need to reboot the controller in order for the memory changes to be applied?
binder

Post by binder »

astralmind wrote:Do I need to reboot the controller in order for the memory changes to be applied?
The memory changes are instant. The values are always read in from memory each time the function is called. So each time you call a StandardLights(...) the values for on/off get read in each time.
astralmind

Post by astralmind »

binder wrote:
astralmind wrote:Do I need to reboot the controller in order for the memory changes to be applied?
The memory changes are instant. The values are always read in from memory each time the function is called. So each time you call a StandardLights(...) the values for on/off get read in each time.
Interesting, thanks for the lightning fast reply. Any thoughts on what is happening then? The value was properly written so that seems almost impossible to me. I wrote 30 for "minutes", is there a different format ?
astralmind

Post by astralmind »

hmm back to the portal, still the same issue and it hasn't updated in the relay state has not been updated in the past 30 minutes. In fact the whole relay logging graphs are off showing up that many ports were off all day. No logging of my 2 feeding modes etc.. just random stuff off and constant.

Any thing that could be off in my code ? I used the Wizard in Arduino ... Again, the android app is seeing everything ok. I've enabled the ATO and I'm a bit more concerned with remote access and history.
rimai

Post by rimai »

I think you have both the Client and Portal sending data and they are messing up with each other.
Can you disable the Client feature that sends data to reefangel.com?
The log on the Portal should be every 5 minutes. If you get data in less than 5 min interval, there is multiple data packets being sent to the server.
Roberto.
astralmind

Post by astralmind »

rimai wrote:I think you have both the Client and Portal sending data and they are messing up with each other.
Can you disable the Client feature that sends data to reefangel.com?
The log on the Portal should be every 5 minutes. If you get data in less than 5 min interval, there is multiple data packets being sent to the server.
I've looked around a bit and recall seeing 2 methods for sending data for the banner but I thought this was somewhat obsolete. Considering my code was purely generated through the wizard included in arduino, I believe I should only have a single method enabled. I did uninstall Dave's Client Suite. After refreshing the Portal page (reloading) I get the proper time stamp, "live" but all ports again showing as "off".

Sorry to bug you with this, it must be something stupid from my end but I can't seem to figure it out.

edit: My banner (signature on some forums) hasn't been updated for the past 30 minutes or so, still displaying the feeding mode i had triggered back then (and a time stamp of 30 minutes ago). Same goes for my portal ports info (still in feeding mode) although it does state live and last update current time.

edit2: logging in and out, after unplugging the wifi module "froze" the info to the time stamp displayed on my banner, ie 30 minutes ago and now even the time stamp on the portal page won't refresh.
binder

Post by binder »

astralmind wrote:Interesting, thanks for the lightning fast reply. Any thoughts on what is happening then? The value was properly written so that seems almost impossible to me. I wrote 30 for "minutes", is there a different format ?
Nope, that's the proper format that it should be in.
Saltydogg

Post by Saltydogg »

Did this ever get resolved? I am having he same issue?! I have noticed I am getting updates more than 5 minutes apart. Also seems below my banner is no longer updating but it was yesterday prior to getting the connection status: Ready
astralmind

Post by astralmind »

Saltydogg wrote:Did this ever get resolved? I am having he same issue?! I have noticed I am getting updates more than 5 minutes apart. Also seems below my banner is no longer updating but it was yesterday prior to getting the connection status: Ready
I believe this:

http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1272

is a general issue related to a glitch in the library, will be fixed on next release. Meanwhile you can always use the Android app or it's java equivalent (reef status) on your PC.
jpalmer

Post by jpalmer »

astralmind wrote:
Saltydogg wrote:Did this ever get resolved? I am having he same issue?! I have noticed I am getting updates more than 5 minutes apart. Also seems below my banner is no longer updating but it was yesterday prior to getting the connection status: Ready
I believe this:

is a general issue related to a glitch in the library, will be fixed on next release. Meanwhile you can always use the Android app or it's java equivalent (reef status) on your PC.
I don't think that is the issue here. That issue was present since the release of the 0.9.6 libraries (I didn't check older ones) so, if this issue just started occuring "yesterday" it's not the likely culprit. Unless of course, you updated your libraries yesterday and uploaded the new .INO to the ReefAngel..
astralmind

Post by astralmind »

jpalmer wrote:
astralmind wrote:
I believe this:

I don't think that is the issue here. That issue was present since the release of the 0.9.6 libraries (I didn't check older ones) so, if this issue just started occuring "yesterday" it's not the likely culprit. Unless of course, you updated your libraries yesterday and uploaded the new .INO to the ReefAngel..

In my case it's been going on since I plugged the RA in which would be a week ago or so.
jpalmer

Post by jpalmer »

Astralmind,

They have posted a new library version (0.9.8)
Would you download the latest update utility for your OS, update your libraries to the 0.9.8 version, re-load the code, and see if the issue is resolved?
astralmind

Post by astralmind »

jpalmer wrote:Astralmind,

They have posted a new library version (0.9.8)
Would you download the latest update utility for your OS, update your libraries to the 0.9.8 version, re-load the code, and see if the issue is resolved?
I'll give this a shot tonight for sure. Seeing how it's now being used on my tank I might have to borrow my wife's laptop :) Will keep you posted!
jpalmer

Post by jpalmer »

I was wondering if that helped?
astralmind

Post by astralmind »

I haven't had the opportunity to flash updated code to my RA yet, however I wanted to share that this "glitch" seems to be gone with the updated Portal! Good stuff!
symon_say

Post by symon_say »

Any one else having this problem, i update to 1.0.0 trying to solve this with no luck, when i go to portal i get "Ready" but the info display is old, and if the portal update i'll just roll back as soon as you refresh the page.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Last update the server has from your controller is Monday, July 09, 2012 4:14:06 PM (Pacific Time)
Roberto.
symon_say

Post by symon_say »

I know, but last night it was updated, but it seen like the server is not keeping my data. In the pic you can see the portal updated, but if i refresh it goes back to jul 9.

rimai

Post by rimai »

In Live more, the Portal doesn't pull data from the server. It pulls data from the controller, but it doesn't store it.
To store it, you need to have the Portal() function in your code and you need to make sure you have the wifi attachment setup properly.
Which app did you use to configure it? Dave's or the java app that comes with the Reef Angel Installer?
Roberto.
symon_say

Post by symon_say »

Dave's because java app was giving me some trouble, because i use static ip for the controller.

i have this in my code string:

Code: Select all

// This should always be the last line
    ReefAngel.Portal( "Symon_say" );
    ReefAngel.ShowInterface();
rimai

Post by rimai »

Make sure that when you setup with Dave's utility, you also click "Save Remote Settings" with reefangel.com selected.
Roberto.
symon_say

Post by symon_say »

Just to inform i set everything with the java app and still have the same problem, set it with Dave's app and with reefangel.com selected and is working again.

Thanks to all.