Android Reef Angel Status

Community contributed apps
rossbryant1956

Re: Android Reef Angel Status

Post by rossbryant1956 »

I downloaded and installed today on my Android and it works like a charm. All I am doing is viewing for now, not changing memory, etc., but all the label problems I was having are completely gone. Thx
Roscoe's Reefs - Starting Over Again:

Building new 29g Nano after landlord went berserk over my 4 75 gallon tanks, Multiple RA's, Water mixing stations, etc. Your help welcomed in remembering all I've forgotten.
binder

Post by binder »

Good. Glad to hear that.
projectx

Post by projectx »

Same here great job!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
00Warpig00

Post by 00Warpig00 »

Love the droid app. thanks so much for making it.

Wanted to report a few small issues with version 0.7 Using 1.0.0 libs

Three small issues.

1. I/O screen lists 7 I/O inputs 0/1/2/3/4/5/6 the I/O module only has 6 inputs 0/1/2/3/4/5
2. Only I/O module input 0 actually updates in the app toggling Off/On.
3. When the I/O module input is shorted/switch closed the web portal shows red dot the controller screen shows shaded dot, the droid app shows OFF. Should probably show ON if OFF/ON is in reference to the switch being OFF or ON or OFF(open) ON(closed) positions.

Nick
180G FOWLR
20GH QT#1
29G QT#2

binder

Post by binder »

00Warpig00 wrote:Love the droid app. thanks so much for making it.

Three small issues.

1. I/O screen lists 7 I/O inputs 0/1/2/3/4/5/6 the I/O module only has 6 inputs 0/1/2/3/4/5
3. When the I/O module input is shorted/switch closed the web portal shows red dot the controller screen shows shaded dot, the droid app shows OFF. Should probably show ON if OFF/ON is in reference to the switch being OFF or ON or OFF(open) ON(closed) positions.

Nick
Thanks for the feedback. It was a minor oversight on my part with the 7 inputs. I will fix that one up. I will also look into why only input 0 is updating. It could very easily be an error on my part as well. I was going to try to have it mimic what the portal does with the red dot. I just haven't gotten to that yet. Roberto pointed out the red dot to me as well.
binder

Post by binder »

00Warpig00 wrote: 3. When the I/O module input is shorted/switch closed the web portal shows red dot the controller screen shows shaded dot, the droid app shows OFF. Should probably show ON if OFF/ON is in reference to the switch being OFF or ON or OFF(open) ON(closed) positions.
Right now, the value of your IO ports is 63. When you look at the IO ports on the portal, are they all showing red dots? I'm thinking that they are based on what you said and the logic in the libraries. This should also relate to an OFF status text, correct?
alexwbush

Post by alexwbush »

Curt, The app works remotely (not within the same network), right? I setup a temporary tank at my girlfriend's place and was able to use the app there, but now that I am back at my place, it keeps timing out.
binder

Post by binder »

alexwbush wrote:Curt, The app works remotely (not within the same network), right? I setup a temporary tank at my girlfriend's place and was able to use the app there, but now that I am back at my place, it keeps timing out.
Yes, the app does work remotely. I would confirm the router is forwarding the request properly. You will also want to make sure the public ip hasn't changed either. You can setup home and away profiles in the app to make switching easy when you are there or not.
alexwbush

Post by alexwbush »

Genius! I get it now. Luckily the portal will tell me the IP address of the controller. Thanks Curt!!
binder

Post by binder »

alexwbush wrote:Genius! I get it now. Luckily the portal will tell me the IP address of the controller. Thanks Curt!!
You can also get a free dynamic hostname and then use that hostname for your controller. I have curtbinder.dyndns.info that points to my home network for my test controller. My computer automatically updates it with an update client and I just have my app use the domain name and it's operational. I would suggest looking into no-ip.com. It's completely free and I utilize them as well. Can save you some headache at times.....especially with some of the features that I have in the works for the app in the future. :D
alexwbush

Post by alexwbush »

but if I remember correctly (used to host a small website), you need to have a computer running the program to constantly tell no-ip (or wherever) to point.
binder

Post by binder »

alexwbush wrote:but if I remember correctly (used to host a small website), you need to have a computer running the program to constantly tell no-ip (or wherever) to point.
the computer does need to run but not all the time. it will check it when the computer starts up and runs in the background. that is how mine works at home. besides, your ip doesn't change too often unless power goes out or you reset your modem/router. there are also some routers that have that functionality built in.
ishtak

Post by ishtak »

Hey Curt,

Every now and then I get Error 23: XML SAX Parser error popping up. The unit seems to respond to switch commands when it does this but the app doesn't update. If I leave if for a few minutes and do a refresh it usually sorts itself out. Have you seen this before? Anything I can do to help troubleshoot it?

Fantastic work on the app so far! Apps like this are what makes the Reef Angel worth every penny I spent on it :)

btw any news on the Widgets?? ;)

Justin
binder

Post by binder »

ishtak wrote:Hey Curt,

Every now and then I get Error 23: XML SAX Parser error popping up. The unit seems to respond to switch commands when it does this but the app doesn't update. If I leave if for a few minutes and do a refresh it usually sorts itself out. Have you seen this before? Anything I can do to help troubleshoot it?

Fantastic work on the app so far! Apps like this are what makes the Reef Angel worth every penny I spent on it :)

btw any news on the Widgets?? ;)

Justin
yes i have seen this before. Sometimes when the controller sends data it gets too many requests at a time and the data stream can get altered. i am going to work on putting better error logging in so this can be tracked down.
i am planning on widgets in the future. i have to get the auto updating working first and improve one other thing before i can do widgets. once i get that implemented, then it will be ready for widgets and also other people can create addon widgets.

if you want to follow my progress, check out my github page for Android status and look at the issues page. that tells you what i am working on and what release will have what features. :D
binder

Post by binder »

Three small issues.

Nick
Just pushed an update to the app. It should fix the issues you are having. Still do not have the red dot displaying on the screen for #3. I did flip the ON/OFF labels around. This one will most likely be a work in progress for now and I will need to rely on your feedback as to how it is working for you.
00Warpig00

Post by 00Warpig00 »

binder wrote:

Three small issues.

Nick
Just pushed an update to the app. It should fix the issues you are having. Still do not have the red dot displaying on the screen for #3. I did flip the ON/OFF labels around. This one will most likely be a work in progress for now and I will need to rely on your feedback as to how it is working for you.
Just downloaded and tested 0.7.1 and all I/O changes you made look great. All inputs update on the app. The 7th input is gone and imo flipping the on/off text makes it more intuitive at least from an electronics standpoint. now ON means input closed/shorted to ground like a switch (float switches for example) would be. Also the ON matches the shaded dot on the controller screen. when shorted/closed the dot on the screen is shaded/on as opposed to not shaded/OFF. Looks and works great. BTW you must have been reading my mind. Moving the relay box control screens first before Other add ons was something I said to myself quietly on several occasions would be a better order for them. :)

Nick
180G FOWLR
20GH QT#1
29G QT#2

alexwbush

Post by alexwbush »

Curt, is there a graph function coming so you can graph history? Maybe your waiting until after you figure out the constant auto stream. That's going to be AWESOME!

Do you intend to include float switch status?
dedvalson

Post by dedvalson »

alexwbush wrote:but if I remember correctly (used to host a small website), you need to have a computer running the program to constantly tell no-ip (or wherever) to point.
Most modern home routers will do this for you. I have a cheap linksys router and it does this.
binder

Post by binder »

I'm gearing up for another release. This release will be pretty big (ok, huge).
Here's a highlight of the features added to 0.8.0
  • created ContentProvider for external apps to access the stored parameters
  • added automatic updating of status
    • enabled by default, 15 minute intervals
  • added logging capabilities
    • disabled by default, can email log to developer
    • log file stored on sdcard, must have to work
    • log file location /sdcard/data/info.curtbinder.reefangel.phone/ra_log.txt
  • added system notifications if an error occurs while communicating
    • enabled by default, uses default system notification sound
    • notifications can be disabled and sound updated
  • modules displayed updates based on controller settings
    • enabled by default
  • all new settings are under Settings -> Settings
  • service starts at device boot / start
  • service not started if app not configured
  • app won't try to update if network is down, will resume when network connection returns
  • updated preference descriptions
  • dropped support for devices below Android 2.0
  • lots of code updates and reorganization
With this update, there is the ability for other apps to reference the data stored in the database in the app (aka, the History). Yes, this means that there is a framework setup for homescreen widgets. :)
I have created a test app (https://github.com/curtbinder/ProviderTest) that documents how to access the data inside Android Reef Angel Status.
So anybody that wants to develop widgets or other apps to make use of the data is capable of doing so now. :ugeek:
rimai

Post by rimai »

Wow!!!
Very cool!!!
:mrgreen:
Roberto.
Ademster

Post by Ademster »

Is it available yet?

Can't wait!

Also is there a way to lets say change the LED PWM from the app?
Adam
58 Gal
Amos Poh

Post by Amos Poh »

cool stuff cant wait!
binder

Post by binder »

Ademster wrote:Is it available yet?
No, not yet. I'm looking at releasing it this weekend. Gotta make sure it functions as expected with all these changes.
Also is there a way to lets say change the LED PWM from the app?
Yes. Bring up your context menu / settings, then choose Internal Memory. Pick the memory setting you want to change and then update it.
binder

Post by binder »

Now that v0.8 is released and it has the automatic updating, I've started working on some ideas for homescreen widgets. I've got a very rough screen shot of what it can look like. My idea is to have it mimic the home screen on the controller. A sample would be like the screen I did in my custom screen manual. Another one would be the default screen on the controller.
Here's all I've got so far....it only looks good in the portrait mode.
widget preview
widget preview
widget_preview.png (258.12 KiB) Viewed 6929 times
More thought and work needs to be put into it, but I wanted to share some ideas and possibly get some feedback too.
Ademster

Post by Ademster »

I know you can do it!!!! Simply amazing.

Would be cool if you can make it a live wallpaper?????
Adam
58 Gal
projectx

Post by projectx »

That looks great keep up the good work

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
astralmind

Post by astralmind »

Outstanding work as usual!

Can't wait to see that Widget :)
pilonstar

Post by pilonstar »

Looking nice, I really like how cool and cool it's getting this app :D
Slow down to speed up
chase

Post by chase »

Really excited for a widget, looks like it's coming along well. Minor comment would be the ability to customize the background/text color and transparency. Also, thought it would be pretty cool to have the RA banners available as a widget option as well for tablets and some of the larger screen phones.
eds

Post by eds »

Im loving this app, it is the main app I use to control my tank :)

I had a thought about a feature, When I go away, I setup an IP cam to remotely check the tank if it alarms.
It would be awesome if there was a way to have the live video in one of the screens of this app so I can swipe to it. Not sure if its worth the effort but I thought it might be neat :)