Wifi Periodically Stops Responding

Expansion modules and attachments
00Warpig00

Re: Wifi Periodically Stops Responding

Post by 00Warpig00 »

Anyone try the 2.3.6/2.4.2/2.4.5 firmware updates yet?

ftp://rn.microchip.com/public/wifly-236.img
ftp://rn.microchip.com/public/wifly-242.img
ftp://rn.microchip.com/public/wifly-245.img

Login: rovin
Password: Pass123
180G FOWLR
20GH QT#1
29G QT#2

ramst2

Post by ramst2 »

00Warpig00 wrote:Anyone try the 2.3.6/2.4.2/2.4.5 firmware updates yet?

Login: rovin
Password: Pass123
Your login and password does not work. Where do i have to register to download from rn.microchip
ishtak

Post by ishtak »

Read this page on how to change the ftp server. Firmware version 2.4.5 is only for use on a non Ad-Hoc network. If you are connecting the device up to a standard wifi installation then you need to stick to 2.3.6 :)

http://www.rovingnetworks.com/FAQs/How_ ... ft_AP_mode
rimai

Post by rimai »

ramst2 wrote: Your login and password does not work. Where do i have to register to download from rn.microchip
I think it is this:
login: Roving
Pass: Pass123
Roberto.
Appleseed

Post by Appleseed »

ishtak wrote:Read this page on how to change the ftp server. Firmware version 2.4.5 is only for use on a non Ad-Hoc network. If you are connecting the device up to a standard wifi installation then you need to stick to 2.3.6 :)

http://www.rovingnetworks.com/FAQs/How_ ... ft_AP_mode
I read this as the code changes from supporting ad hoc to soft ap mode in 245 but still supports connecting to standard access points (infrastructure mode).
Reddy

Post by Reddy »

If by some unfortunate circumstance your unit gets upgraded to version 4.00, you have to reset auto join. It's in the manual, but here are the commands:

Code: Select all

set wlan join 1

save

reboot
The 4.00 firmware breaks the memory tab in the RA Client. That was the only problem I noticed, but I didn't run it long.

The unit saves a couple of old firmware images and you can choose which one to boot from with the command "boot image <FL#>". Find FL# in the file listing.

<4.00> ls

FL# SIZ FLAGS
  2  20   3 WiFly_GSX-2.32
 22  11   3 wps_app
 33   1  10 config
 34   1   3 wifly-GSX-400
 35   1   3 wifly-GSX-400
 36   1  10 user
 54  13   3 wps_app

164 Free, Boot=34, Backup=2

boot image 2

save

reboot

factory RESET
Then you can start over with normal setup. If the unit doesn't join, resend the "set wlan join 1" command from above.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Reddy wrote:If by some unfortunate circumstance your unit gets upgraded to version 4.00, you have to reset auto join. It's in the manual, but here are the commands:

set wlan join 1

save

reboot
The 4.00 firmware breaks the memory tab in the RA Client. That was the only problem I noticed, but I didn't run it long.

The unit saves a couple of old firmware images and you can choose which one to boot from with the command "boot image <FL#>". Find FL# in the file listing.

<4.00> ls

FL# SIZ FLAGS
  2  20   3 WiFly_GSX-2.32
 22  11   3 wps_app
 33   1  10 config
 34   1   3 wifly-GSX-400
 35   1   3 wifly-GSX-400
 36   1  10 user
 54  13   3 wps_app

164 Free, Boot=34, Backup=2

boot image 2

save

reboot

factory RESET
Then you can start over with normal setup. If the unit doesn't join, resend the "set wlan join 1" command from above.
Man, I gotta say "Thank you, Thank you, Thank you" for posting this here today!!! :mrgreen:
I'm so glad you did... I would have spent several hours trying to figure this out.
I'm just programming some new wifi modules I got and the minute I couldn't connect anymore, I immediately remember your post and sure enough... Got connection :)
This new 4.0 firmware is awesome for setting up your wifi!!!
I'm going to be updating the thread on how to set up the wifi... These new modules are going to make connecting to wifi so much easier for new users.... You have no idea :)
Roberto.
Reddy

Post by Reddy »

rimai wrote:Man, I gotta say "Thank you, Thank you, Thank you" for posting this here today!!! :mrgreen:
Glad I could help!

The info was on page 7 of the manual, but instead of being in a bright red box titled "BIG CHANGE FROM HOW WE USED TO DO THINGS", it just says in plain old text, "hope you notice this before you bang your head against it for too long!" :evil:
brettb

Post by brettb »

Hey guys.

I'm also having the issue where my wifi attachment looses connection (blue led flashing) after a day sometimes a few days. Has a solution been found for this?
cjrudy

Post by cjrudy »

brettb wrote:Hey guys.

I'm also having the issue where my wifi attachment looses connection (blue led flashing) after a day sometimes a few days. Has a solution been found for this?
I used to have this problem constantly and always thought it was firmware related. Added the external antenna and have not had a problem since.

http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?t=1866
dbmet

Post by dbmet »

I had the same problem. I reset the wifi module to factory defaults, loaded the latest 4.0 firmware, reloaded the code on the controller, and added the external antenna which I really think helped the most.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

I was getting a lot of interference from my 2.4ghz baby monitor. Updated to 4.0 and no more issues.
avionixx

Post by avionixx »

I'm still not having any luck with my WIFI module, it disconnects randomly and won't reconnect. I've tried all of the methods recommended by others in various threads:

- Update to latest firmware (it already came with the latest)
- Set linkmon to 30 or 50
- Assign static lease to Wifi module
- Set router to use WPA2 only (it was set to mixed before)

I don't know if it just doesn't like my router or what; I'm lucky if it stays connected for a week.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

For $12 I think, I recommend trying the antenna modification.
Poiromaniax

Post by Poiromaniax »

avionixx wrote:I'm still not having any luck with my WIFI module, it disconnects randomly and won't reconnect. I've tried all of the methods recommended by others in various threads:

- Update to latest firmware (it already came with the latest)
- Set linkmon to 30 or 50
- Assign static lease to Wifi module
- Set router to use WPA2 only (it was set to mixed before)

I don't know if it just doesn't like my router or what; I'm lucky if it stays connected for a week.
I had a similar problem, turns out it was a faulty module.

Maybe ask Roberto? (Rimai)
avionixx

Post by avionixx »

Yeah what makes it strange is that the module is doing the slow blink green as if it's connected, but can't be pinged and isn't transmitting data from the controller. It has to be disconnected from the controller for a few seconds and then reconnected before it'll start working properly again.
thekameleon

Post by thekameleon »

I get this issue once in a while myself.