Climate Library and Web Service

Requests for new functions or software apps

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:46 pm
Hi everyone,
I am new to RA, but like many of you. I do like making cool stuff and I love my tanks. I have seen a lot of great contribution work and well I would like to contribute something to the cause.

First, I would like to put a library together for Weather effects for not only clouds and lightning, but for all things climate (rain, currents, etc...). I want to make the library easy to integrate into RA. With that I will share some ideas I have and I open the floor for other ideas as well. I'll put it on github for others that way to contribute as well.

Second, I want to know what the appetite is for a web based service that can pseudo real-time control the climate conditions of your tank. I wouldn't need a connection to your computer, just the wifi attachment module or potential other Ethernet devices. You would pick a latitude and longitude somewhere in the ocean and what ever weather condition is happening there would also occur in your tank... (Clouds, storm, current, etc... even rain)... Obviously, not everyone lives in the same time zone, so the commands would be delayed for your local time zone. I also want to be able to setup notification services, so you can get immediate notifications sent to your mobile device (via text message or push notification) or emailaddress.

I welcome your feedback.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:57 pm
How would you get that data for currents etc? How specific does the data get?
Out for now...but not over.

VISIT: Ethernet Module/Wifi Alternative

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:59 pm
I would use a weather service like wunderground.com... I am open to other services as well
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:15 pm
I'd personally love a wizard that allows me to pick weather changes throughout the weeks. If they could be pre-defined weather patterns for 4 weeks then the next month it would shuffle the weeks to keep it random. I think it would be easier than lat/long. I'm a control freak so I'd prefer this method over what the weather would be on the lat/long. I thing I don't like most is that it could be 3 weeks of full sun or 3 weeks of rain. I don't want to look at my tank for 3 weeks in "rain mode." but that's just me...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:26 pm
Thanks for the feedback. So you would prefer to define weather for a specified period of time say a week then have those periods randomly shuffle themselves.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:02 am
I would. But developement is up to you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:34 pm
Here are some things I am thinking about. First, I want to create a lightweight climate solution that can leverage the Actinic and Daylight pins as well as say two outlets on the Main Relay box for wave makers. This would allow you to create basic weather effects such as clouds and storms (lightning) as well as controlling of wavemaker pumps (On and off through the main relay).

Now for more advanced setups where someone may want to use the PWM Dimmer Expansion modules to control lighting, multiple wave maker pumps and RF. I intend on leveraging a PWM Dimmer module to run the program to offload the controller. This will then have all climate related activities (Sun, moon, clouds, waves, etc...) ran independently of the Main controller, yet still allow the main controller to set the preferences for your climate effects. So you can use the existing tools and wifi attachment

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:46 pm
Sounds interesting :)
Roberto.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:40 pm
I wouldn't mind having tidal information and adjust my vortech speed and potentially other settings based on that...

Roberto, i read on another forum someone using the apex wxm(?) module and switching their pumps from master/anti-sync and vice versa. Do we have any way of changing pump modes from the rf module? Obviously if this is possible then there must be something in the protocol..but again this was hearsay...

So, if we can get that working :) I'd switch my pumps based on the tide in and out :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:00 pm
Not that I'm aware of.
The only way I know of to switch sync/anti-sync/back-of-tank is pressing mode button on the driver itself.
Roberto.
Next

Return to Requests