PH probe broken?

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
daniella3d

PH probe broken?

Post by daniella3d »

My PH probe is going crazy, all over the place. It reads 1.00, then 14.00, then some other crazy value. It started doing that today. Before that it was very stable. Is it broken?

Nothing special that I can see, no water on anything that is not meant to have water on it.

What should I do with it?

thanks.
rossbryant1956

Re: PH probe broken?

Post by rossbryant1956 »

first pull it out of the tank water and place it in a small cup of tank water and see if it stabilizes. If it does not it is either a wire than has pulled loose somewhere or a cracked or broken probe.
Roscoe's Reefs - Starting Over Again:

Building new 29g Nano after landlord went berserk over my 4 75 gallon tanks, Multiple RA's, Water mixing stations, etc. Your help welcomed in remembering all I've forgotten.
daniella3d

Post by daniella3d »

Hope this stuff is not toxic?

I unplugged it from the RA and the RA now show a fluctuating PH between 7 and 8.5. Is that normal? or is it the RA that is the problem?
rossbryant1956

Post by rossbryant1956 »

it is almost certainly not the RA. The range fluctuation you see now is because it cannot find the probe.
Roscoe's Reefs - Starting Over Again:

Building new 29g Nano after landlord went berserk over my 4 75 gallon tanks, Multiple RA's, Water mixing stations, etc. Your help welcomed in remembering all I've forgotten.
daniella3d

Post by daniella3d »

Ok I put it in a cup with tank water and it goes from 14 to 1. Seem to be shifting value for no reason.

I don,t see any lose wire either.

Does it need calibration after being exposed to air?

I went ahead and ordered a new one, i guess it is broken.
daniella3d

Post by daniella3d »

New PH brobe is not doing any better. is the RA broken?

I put the new ph probe, calibrated it with the 7.0 and 10.0 liquid, then put it in aquarium water in a cup and it's going from 10, to 8 to what ever. It's not stable, why is that? does it need more time to stabilize? is it normal that it's going like that through a range of values?
rimai

Post by rimai »

Does it read correctly inside the calibration packets?
What are the numbers you got when calibrating?
If you place the probe in a cup with tank water, what readings do you get?
Roberto.
daniella3d

Post by daniella3d »

I get 639 for both calibration fluid. is that normal? I put it in 7, then wait a few minutes, press the OK button, then it ask for the 10 fluid, I put it in the 10.0 fluid, wait a few minutes and press ok. Each time it was showing 639-640

The probe is now in a cup of tank water but the value is shifting a lot, going from 14, to 4, to 8 to some other values. Its not stable. So basically it is doing the exact same thing as the other probe.
rimai

Post by rimai »

There is something wrong with the controller meter if you are getting same readings with both fluids.
PM if you want to send it for repair.
Roberto.
daniella3d

Post by daniella3d »

send it for repair?? huh...I cannot do without a controller at all. So what to do? I don't have a backup controller here.

Is it possible to send me the replacement part and I change it myself? Or send a replacement board and I return the defective one?
Last edited by daniella3d on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daniella3d

Post by daniella3d »

Can you send me the replacement part and I change it myself? I cannot afford to be without a controller for weeks.