Taking the Jebao WP pumps to 0 on reboot?

Request new hardware or ideas for the controller
Sacohen

Taking the Jebao WP pumps to 0 on reboot?

Post by Sacohen »

Roberto or others.

I was reading the LDD driver discussion on RC and noticed that at some point in time they added a 10K ohm 1/2W resistor to pull the PWM signal to 0 when there was no power to the driver or during a reboot of the controller.

Is this something that is possible to keep the Jebao pumps from running at full power when the Reef Angel reboots?
lnevo

Re: Taking the Jebao WP pumps to 0 on reboot?

Post by lnevo »

I'm guessing in theory it would be the same as the ldd, no? Just need to know where the resistor needs to go...
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

On the LDD it goes between the PWM connector and the ground.
rimai

Post by rimai »

I would think this wouldn't work even on LDD. Can you point me to the thread you are referring to?
Roberto.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

This is the link (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showt ... ?t=2222702)
It's rather long and has gone off topic a couple of times.

I'll try to find the post where they added the resistor to the board design.

O2Surplus and RRasco were the 2 people that did most of the board designs Joshlawless did a variation of it as well. Roberto I know you are making a custom 16 channel dimmer for his LED project.
rimai

Post by rimai »

I'll read it through when I find some time, but if I understood what you said, they built custom boards, right?
They are not using the RA dimming channels, correct?
Any expansion module you use will not give you this behavior. So, his 16ch module will not have this behavior you mentioned.
This only happens when the pumps are connected to the standard dimming channels.
If you use the RA dimming expansion module, the pumps would stay at the last state before the controller rebooted.
The reason being is that the standard dimming channels are directly using the controller's ports. The controller ports are defaulted to 100% or high level whenever the controller reboots.
If you are using an expansion module, you would be connecting to a different chip and not to the controller directly, which would not cause the channels to go to 100% or high level.
So, if you would like to avoid this behavior, the best option would be to use a dimming expansion module. I don't think a resistor will do it :(
The Jebao cable already has one resistor tied to the ground, BTW.
Another solution that I may be able to do is to have a custom bootloader, but that would require you to purchase a AVR programmer or send your head unit for bootloader upgrade.
With this custom bootloader, I can change the status of the default high level to low when the controller boots, so it would go to 0% instead of 100%.
Roberto.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

The boards that were designed were just an easy way to mount and connect multiple LDD drivers. There are anywhere from 3up to 6up boards that have been designed.

There is no control being done in the board.

I think most people are using a custom built Aurdino controller but I know Joshlawless was talking about controlling his LED's with the RA.

Here is a link to one of the board designs that has the M1206 resistor they are using for the pull down.

https://code.google.com/p/meanwell-ldd- ... p&can=2&q=

I have both of my Jebao pumps on the standard dimming channel so I can't say if it only happens on there or not, but I know I have seen several people mention it happens to them when they re-boot their controller.

I haven't put my light together yet, but I know that other have and they are saying that the light stay off on re-boot of their controllers.

This is just a suggestion and a thought that I had that may work, so if it does great, if not then we live with it the way it has been.
New2novas

Post by New2novas »

It happens to me as well. i'd be interested in a solution to this very small problem