"Soft Starting" A DC Pump

Requests for new functions or software apps
lvanghele

"Soft Starting" A DC Pump

Post by lvanghele »

Hi, I have a reef angel, and I bought it to control a diablo dc pump. It works just fine, but the built in controller has a soft start function the RA does not, as in after it is off for awater change, power outage, feed time, etc. it starts at 1% or so, then ramps up to the setting programmed, say 75%, over a period of about 10 seconds, to avoid the splashing with the pump coming on at the max power it is set for causes. Is there a way to do this with the reef angel controller? TIA
rimai

Re: "Soft Starting" A DC Pump

Post by rimai »

My DC pump does this all by itself. I use a Speedwave though.
Roberto.
ewaldsreef

Post by ewaldsreef »

After doing a search on the Diablo pump I came across this post. My interest is in using the pwm ports to control the pump. As in wiring into the Diablo controller. Reason for my interest would be to have a level sensor in the overflow that could back off the pump instead of just killing it if the overflow is partially clogged from a snail for example. If I was not able to make it home for a while at least there would be some circulation. Another reason would be to vary speed on a closed loop.
rimai

Post by rimai »

I'm not familiar with Diablo, but the Speedwave and Jebao have this soft start built-in.
As far as controlling the pump to a lower speed, you can do it very easily.
Roberto.
ewaldsreef

Post by ewaldsreef »

After looking at the two side by side it looks like the exact same pump only a different color. Looks like I will go that route with the jebao cable. A lot of my customers have Diablo pumps so I will test on one of those. My guess is that they will work as well with the Jebao cable.